Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Monokote wingtips radius cuts?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Monokote wingtips radius cuts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 06:04 AM
xtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote wingtips radius cuts?

With monokote are radius cuts required when doing wing tips? I find that I have to do them. Or can you heat and strech the monokote over the rounding wingtips without creases for a smooth finish? Im doing a two tone diff colors top and bottom. Appreciate input
Old 01-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normal procedure is to cover the tips with separate pieces before you cover the top and bottom. If you already have the top and bottom covered, cut the monocoat at the end of the last rib and cover the tip with a separate piece, top and bottom.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:26 PM
ilikeplanes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use small cuts around compound curves. Unless your tip is square and flat, it's nearly unavoidable. It is possible to use a heat gun and stretch over compound curves, but if you pull too hard, it will break.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:16 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Work slowly with a sticky glove and heat gun. You will be surprised how much monokote will stretch. You should be able to pull the bottom and top sheets over half of the tip if you take it slow and easy. Those top flite cool hand covering gloves with grips work great. Makes it easy to grip the cote and keeps your hand cool (well mostly). I wouldn't want to do another wingtip without one. Careful with the heat gun and don't burn a hole in the covering.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:37 PM
MikeS
My Feedback: (37)

I have covered an entire speed 400 sized Hellcat fuse, round cowl and all with a single piece of Ultrakote. I think it stretches better than monokote. The applicability of a technique depends on the shape of the part. Where natural lines exist, use two pieces because that's easier. Medium heat, a medium steady pull and patience will work wonders with plastic covering.
Good luck,
Old 01-27-2003, 03:43 PM
B.Man

Leave some extra on the edges and cut down the sides only to the wing and then cut half of the one side and fold it on thw wing and heat it then take the other piece and fold it over if you do it right it will turn out nice.

Brandon
Old 01-27-2003, 04:37 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

You can do this with out making any radius cuts like the people above have said. Just apply heat and with plenty of 'pull' work it around the wingtip. You should be able to do it without any cuts. However, DON'T use a heat gun to get it to stretch. Use your IRON. Turn the iron up as high as it'll go, then just wave it about .5" above the surface. This way you don't have to use those ridiculous gloves. Plus it's FAR more precise. Heat, Heat, stretch, stretch, stretch, heat, stretch, tack, repeat.

That's it!
Iron!

Reid
Old 01-27-2003, 04:51 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

Iron, eh? I guess I'll give the iron one more try. I never have any luck with those silly things doing curves...

Either way, controlled heat, gentle consistent stretching and patience will reward you with a nice wrinkle-free wingtip.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:11 PM
Scott G

I usually tack most of the wing perimeter down except the wing tip. I then use the heat gun to shrink the material that is going to cover the wing tip. I do not stretch it at this time, nor do I let it attach to the wood. I hold it off the wing and shrink. Ideally, you would shrink it enough that it is too small to cover the wing tip.

Then I use my trim iron at its maximum setting, stretch or shrink the monokote depending on what I need at that position on the tip and tack it down. I tend to work around the tip, front to back in 1/16 inch passes.

I got this from one of the covering books sold at my LHS. Best wing tips I've ever done...

I'll post a picture of a finished tip when I get home...

I hope that was clear,
Scott.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:46 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I only make cuts as an absolute last resort (and then I feel like I lost the battle )

Something that is a BIG help on tricky areas is a second set of hands (Oh Honnnnnnneeeeeeee! Can you come here a minute... Pleeeeeeeeze!)

And finally, Ultracote makes the job ten times easier.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:29 PM
xtech

Default thanks response

Everyone thanks for your input. Im just back in town after 3 days and glad to see all the great tips! Thanks Again!