Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Incidence meter question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Incidence meter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
dingo9882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incidence meter question

I am building a hog bipe and I need to check the incidence. The reason why I am doing this is because my I-Struts are not lining up correctly. And through another thread they told me it could even be my incidence. But, here is the big question. I have the lazer meter, I have read the instructions several times, but I am still not sure I am doing this correctly. When I zero the scale in, where and how should I do this. Do I zero it in when the landing gear is on and it is pretty much finished or at another time. Basically, I need to know how I use this so that I do not do any undo alignments that I do not need to. I need to check the wing and the horizontal stab. If anybody is willing to take the time and give me really good details that would be great.[&:]
Old 12-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Incidence meter question

A lot of typing. If you just search the word incidence on this site you should pull up some in depth instructions and how toos. Harder to explain then to do, it just takes some time. If you can't find anything just hit me with A PM and I will do my best to walk you through it. It really has to be done correctly though to help A plane fly well, double that for A Bipe.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doesn't matter if the gear is on or not, as you should first level the table, then level the plane on the table along the centerline/datum line indicated on the plans (prop up the firewall solidly and then prop the tail up as high as necessary for the reference line to be level), then do the h.stabilizer followed by the wings (lower first).

By leveling the table/worksurface first you always have a baseline to work from. Then set your incidence meter on the table and set the meter to zero.

When in doubt, block the plane up solidly and start with the stab at zeroº and measure the wings relative to that.

As long as the earth is round nothing will truly be on the level.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
dingo9882

Thanks so much, now I have a better understanding of what the datum line is used for.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
campbec

Hi,

Don't forget to gently tap the meter to ensure the reading is accurate. Sometimes they stick.

Cheers,

Colin