Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Paint compatibility help please!!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Paint compatibility help please!!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
alpinestar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint compatibility help please!!

So i finally time to lay some paint on my latest project, a 'glassed TF corsair. I'm doing the tri-color scheme, & found rustoleum "American Accents" spray cans for the white & light blue, and a Krylon " satin touch" color for the dark blue. I painted the wing first, all three colors no problem. I had very minimal oversray of white, then light blue, ending up under the dark blue Krylon where the colors met.

Now, on to the fuse..... I had much more "excess" white and light blue coverage than on the wing. No big deal, it will easily be covered by the dark blue...... EXCEPT now I've discovered an incompatibility between the rusto "american accents" and Krylon (blistering,
etc). I tried sanding and applying Rusto primer as a barrier coat, but the primer was incompatible as well.

My last idea (haven't tried yet) is to spray the dark blue Krylon into a cup & let the solvents evaporate off, then spray with an airbrush. Any thoughts on if this will help?? I'm only guessing that the solvents are to blame; any paint guru's out there have some advice?? I'm kinda stuck right now given that the wing is completely painted & looks great (I'd hate to mess with it)
thanks
-m
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Paint compatibility help please!!

Um, are any of these paints fuel proof?

Paul
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
alpinestar

Nope, not an issue as the weathered final finish will get a coat of PPG DCU2026 flat clear.

Any advice on compatibility??
Old 12-13-2006, 08:05 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: alpinestar

My last idea (haven't tried yet) is to spray the dark blue Krylon into a cup & let the solvents evaporate off, then spray with an airbrush. Any thoughts on if this will help??
I often do this (spray the paint into a cup and let the solvents evaporate) when I need to touch up a small place, or just hand paint a part too difficult to spray and want a perfect paint match. HOWEVER--- Krylon is a fast-drying paint, and the solvents are the only thing that keeps it from setting. Once the solvents are gone, the paint will dry within a couple of minutes in a cup, and if you put them in an airbrush cup, they'll gum up quickly. I usually have only about three to five minutes working time using a brush before the paint gets too sticky to spread.

I've used the American Accents paint several times and it seems to work well, resists gasoline well, but needs a fuelproof clearcoat for glow. It needs to cure a week or so to overcoat, and I usually use Top Flite LustreKote to clearcoat and fuelproof.

Have you considered using latex, since you'r planning to clearcoat? You can take a paint chip to Lowe's (or your favorite home improvement warehouse) and they'll custom blend whatever color you want, usually no smaller than a quart.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 PM
alpinestar

Ooh... good idea on the latex... A relatively cheap way out of the woods. I have some of the Krylon in a cup,it's been there for an hour & still seems "sprayable" so I'll try that in a small area & if it fails, I won't be heartbroken since I now have a great plan B. Thanks khodges!!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
alpinestar

Well, the Krylon through the airbrush did and didn't solve the problem.... I discovered that solvents or no solvents, the problem I was having was too heavy a coat over the other paint chemistry. So, about 5 really light coats did the trick & covered without bubbling, etc. Fortunately, the Krylon paint is thin enough to let you get away with thin coats & not get a rough finish (the small droplets really flatten out well).

So; remember to try THIN COATS if you run into the same problem. This had me hung up for three days!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Fat Boy

What are the paints' base?? I.E. emamel, laquer, latex?? Try reversing the application. One product may be to agressive to topcoat the other.

The real question is, how all of it will react under clear.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
alpinestar

I have no clue what the base chemistry of these paints is... there are no words on the cans to give a clue. Eash had a bunch of nasty sounding chems listed on the back, leading me to think it's not latex. Reversing the order could certainly work, only problem is that I already had two colors down following the old light to dark routine. Maybe would have worked though.
I've had great luck with PPG clears over latex, rusto, perfect paint, testors, krylon, waterslides (really light coats!!), decals, etc.... just about anything. I might use some Nelson flat clear that I also have laying around; being water based this should really be a non issue ( I hope)
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Krylon is a mix of lacquer and enamal, thus it isn't compatible with much other than itself. I think polyurethane will cover it if you use light coats. I found heavy coats would wrinkle over Krylon but light coats worked, but the end result wasn't very fuel proof to raw fuel as this was on my flight box. Might be good for hot nitro exhaust though. I would remove that paint and use something else.