Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Twisted Tail of a TF Contender Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Twisted Tail of a TF Contender Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Twisted Tail of a TF Contender Build

It is almost time gentlemen
Relax, it's an easy one
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Blade47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was going to hold off on the maiden test flight report from last weekend as I wanted a video to go with it ( no one else showed last weekend to take the Video for me ) BUT will get a video this weekend ...with that all said ...YOU bet it flies and very well ..."T" tail stayed on after bashing it around the sky ... very slight trim was needed on the aileron's ...three click's of up on the elevator ( I had put three down in before take off to keep it on the ground till I was ready ).

Fast? yes very fast with the GMS .47 swinging a 10x6 APC makes a very cool whistle sound with the front cowl open the way it is ..I would think the video will get the sound .... I was able to make 2 flights of 8 minutes each ...took the wing off to check all nuts a bolts and found that i had a 1/2 a tank of fuel left ...should get an easy 15 minutes out of it...

Stand by for the vid after this weekend

cheers
Old 04-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Strykaas

Good ! Waiting for the vid
Old 04-29-2007, 02:18 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

You da Man, Pete!

Good to hear it flies fine.

Don
Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Blade47

[X(] DON [X(] you still there ??? LOL Yup works like a hot dam for sure ... only one flight this weekend and again no vid yet .... by the looks of the weather forecast I should be able to get out in the evening this week and try to get one then.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Blade47

Just posted a VID of the contender ...not very good as I am just learning to use the cam plus using the software to make it into a move ... but it will show it flying for sure ... My buddy Dennis flew it for me as he didn't want to use the DVD ..go figure lol

http://rcuvideos.com/item/64w1jnr5rcrf0zy7

cheers
Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Strykaas

Nice. That T tail really changes the look... Did you notice any reduced elevator efficiency due to the fact it 's no longer in the prop air flow ?

I use windows movie maker... No need for avs4you !!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Blade47

No not really ... the performance with the tail is fine ...the only thing I found is that i may be 1 1/2 oz nose heavy and will test again ... seems I have to pop it off the ground to get it ( unstuck) to lift off or maybe lift the front nose gear up 1/4" ..other then that it is very effective.

cheers
Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Blade47

I had to use that program to convert it to AVI to beable to edit in Windows may look for a free converter program
Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Blade: I had to lower the nose gear on mine about 1/2". I installed according to dimension shown in the instructions ( 4 1/2" I think) and it was not enough. I had to extend to 5" to center of axle from bottom of fuselage. Having the same problem that you are. Problem gone. Installed a Fultz. I like them.

Jim
Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Blade47

Safebet: Yup I lowered the nose gear another 1/4" and took 1 1/2 OZ ( weight now down to 6.1 lbs) out of the nose that fixed the problem ..lifts off with a touch of the elevator and when I fly up line and roll inverted it will stay inverted with just a touch of down ..two problems fixed ... more test flight to come.

I also like the Flutz gear ..the Contender is the only plane I have with out one ..may change over in the fall
Old 05-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Blade: I haven't flown mine since last fall (on the buddy box). I am still on the buddy box. It is hanging on my wall in the computer room. I am going to get it down and
fly it. I am ready to solo (according to instructor) But, on the buddy box for the first couple of times. I am using a GP Big Stick 40 for a trainer and they fly a lot alike.
Both point and shoot, pretty sensitive on the controls and very fast. I don't think I will have a lot of difficulty when I solo transferring to the Contender.

Keep us posted on the flight reports. Very nice plane.

Jim