Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP T-Craft

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP T-Craft

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Chuckr53-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP T-Craft

I'm building the T-Craft kit and wondered if I could benefit form others' building experience on this kit. This is my first kit, I usually assemble ARF's. I won it at my club's monthly raffle, so I thought I'd try to get it together for the club's annual builder's contest in April.

Overall, I'd say the quality of the kit is ok. The pics in the manual could be better, but they're still usable. I've read the reviews on the GP website, and they seemed to like the plane.

At this point, I'm early into the project having assembled the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, rudder and elevator; and I've gotten the wing put together, but not the wing tips. I'm presently building the ailerons. I've had a few glitches, but nothing I couldn't fix or re-do.

I plan on using a Saito 30 four stoke. Haven't gotten to the fuse yet, so I don't know how much of the cowl I'll be cutting. As for the controls, I like pull-pull on the rudder, so I might be figuring that out. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

I don't want to just make this a running commentary of my building experience with this kit...so if noone else has any input I'll just let it go.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Muffinman

Default gp T-Craft

I one of these kits in my to do pile, working on a mid-star now. Have you seen the Saito 40a? It's about the same size.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:04 AM
pikebishop

Default GP T-Craft

Hey there, I am finishing mine right now boy it took alot of sanding for such a small plane. am covering the fuse tonight. I also have the saito 30 to install, wich I believe will be plenty of power my finished weight should be around four pounds with a full six oz tank. I believe if you keep it at four pounds or less it will rock with the 30. keeping it light is so importantto all planes remember build it to fly not to survive a crash.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

Thanks for the feedback fells.

Muffinman...I haven't seen a Saito 40a. I got the 30S because I belive it's probably lighter and stronger running than the OS30, but the OS would probably have worked fine too. This is one model I don't think has to be over-powered like the 3D kits.

Pike...did you have to add any weight for balance or is it manageable with battery placement?

Chuck
Old 02-10-2003, 01:44 AM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

Pike...I ask about the balance because I've got the fuselage completed up to the step where I start sheeting the bottom. It just seems like the nose is so bulky and the tail so light. The fuse has a short moment too.

I assembled a TT Slow Cub 25 last fall and it's not as tall and has a longer length. I had to move the battery pack as far back as possible to balance it, and I was using an OS 25LA.

So I'm trying to decide if I should put a hatch in the bottom sheeting for the battery at this point. I could do it after it's totally constructed waiting for covering and do some test balancing, but it never hurts to ask and benefit from others' experience!
Old 02-12-2003, 01:02 AM
pikebishop

Default GP T-Craft

reinforce the stringers for the turtle deck with some bracing as the covering tries to pull the dowels down instead of tighten the covering I don't think balancing will be an issue I will use hitec 81 in wing and 225 in the fuse.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:05 AM
dmheil
My Feedback: (5)

Default GP T-Craft

I'm just about ready to cover mine also. I was disappointed with the rear dowel stringers. They sure seem weak.

I plan to fly mine with a .25fx that I already have. I disliked the cowl so I replaced mine with one from Stans (www.stansfibertech.com) . Of course I had my LHS order it for me. (Dougs Hobby Shop, Waldorf, MD)
Old 02-12-2003, 04:46 AM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

Thanks for the good info on the rear dowel stringers...I'll figure something out to reinforce them.

I didn't care for the cowl either, so I ordered a fiberglass cowl from fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com

Had a club meeting tonight, so I didn't get anything done on the plane. One of the guys in my club occasionally writes articles for one of the model mags. When I told him about the Saito 30 for this plane, he said "you're gonna love it". That made me feel good about my choice!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:10 AM
pikebishop

Default GP T-Craft

I'll have to check out the glass cowl and pants. after buying these it would cost more than an arf! but it sure will be cool though.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:15 AM
dmheil

Default GP T-Craft

I really like the cowls from Stans. I'm to the point now that when I get a new kit I just automatically order a Stans cowl. I just got one for my Pica Waco and it is really nice. I'm waiting for a break in the weather to paint it to match the plane.

As for Pike's comments about it being more expensive than an ARF, I can only reply that "but it's a kit you built yourself". There are not that many kit builders left around, we must pass on these tips!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:48 PM
dmheil

Default GP T-Craft

OK, I have finished the covering (thanks to a weekend blizzard on the east coast) and I must say I am surprised that those pesky dowls are apparently stronger than they appear! No troubles at all. I have yet to cover/install the control surfaces but the rest is progressing along nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56114_5461.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	31335  
Old 02-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

DM...I'm at the covering stage myself. I used the storm to finish construction. Nice covering job! Did you use monokote or ultracote?
Old 02-17-2003, 11:04 PM
dmheil

Default GP T-Craft

This was done with Monokote. I just spent the last 2 hours working on the control surfaces (in between moving snow). This plane is coming along nicely.

Pay close attention to your tolerances for the cowl. Mine is REAL tight and I needed to do some adjustments to make it fit properly.

Hope to have this one done soon and then it's back to the TF DC-3 and F4U which are both about 80% complete. Winter weather sure makes things get done fast!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:59 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

I'm covering mine in ultracote, and painting the cowl and wheel pants with matching Perfect Paint. But I won't be able to get to it until next month.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

DM...you were so right about the tight clearances on the cowl. I had some aggressive sanding to do on both sides of the fuse at the bottom, and inside the cowl at the bottom corners. I worked very carefully and it came out fine. Had me worried for a little while though.

I'm finally ready to start covering and painting now. I have all the ultracote rolls, and I'm waiting for the paint on backorder from Tower. The LHS didn't have the colors I wanted either.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:54 PM
DaveB

Default GP T-Craft

I too am building a T-Craft.

I installed the landing gear fairings using nylon LG straps instead of rubber bands. According to a review in "RC Modeler", the rubber bands just don't work well. If you built the GP Cub, a similar arrangement is used there.

I also made brass fittings for the wing struts in place of the CA hinge material specified in the instructions. I glued small lengths of inner nyrod into the in the wing and fuse and fastened the screws into that. Because you will likely be removing the struts regularly, the nyrod should be much more durable than fastening
the struts directly into wood.

DaveB
Old 02-27-2003, 01:15 AM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

The nylon LG strap idea is a good one! I have some spares laying around somewhere in my shop. Thanks!

I won't be playing with the wing struts too much...can't see any reason to fly with them, and I won't be putting them on just to store the plane, so I'll just make do with the CA hinge install on them.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

Well, I finally got the T-Craft completed. Can't say I'm really happy with my painting skills, but overall, I'd grade it a B. Check out the pics.

Name:	66580_16208.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	31336  
Old 03-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

Here's another view

Name:	66581_16208.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	31337  
Old 03-29-2003, 09:13 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

Last view.

Name:	66584_16208.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	31338  
Old 03-29-2003, 09:21 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default Balance

Just an FYI...I didn't have to add any weight to get the balance at CG of 3" behind wing LE.

The receiver went directly in front of servos, and the battery pack went behind the servos towards the tail, below the rudder & elevator control rods.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:31 PM
dmheil

Default GP T-Craft

Chucker,

Looks good! I don't know what you were worried about. Which engine did you use?
Old 03-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Chuckr53-RCU

Default GP T-Craft

DM..thanks. It's a Saito 30. This was my first kit. All I've built in the pas were ARFs. So I'm really happy with the results.

Like everyone else though...I'm my own worst critic.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:32 AM
dmheil

Default GP T-Craft

Chuckr53,

I will be using an OS .25 FX taken from a 17% Lanier Giles 202. I be there will be plenty of power. My kit is completed, radio installed just waiting on the paint at the LHS. I expect it will be in the air soon. Make sure you tell us how how yours flies on that Saito. I bet it will be great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.