Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Wrong plane 4 birthday

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Wrong plane 4 birthday

Old 01-28-2003, 03:42 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrong plane 4 birthday

After trying to leave obvious hints for the Top Flite Cessna 182 around for my wife to see, I end up with a Pica 182 Stand off scale plane. But the worst part is what she claims she paid for it: $387!!!! This is the 1/5 scale, and after a few searches can find it for as little as $125 elsewhere. Now I've got a plane I don't want to build, and a charge on my credit card that should be about 1/3 of what it really is. She claims she bought it online, but I have yet to find the place.

Can anybody help me?
Old 01-28-2003, 04:29 AM
Deadeye

OK, after some research, I found out this came from HobbyBarn, here is the confirmation eMail:

Description: RC-14 CESSNA 182 (1/5 Scale)

Price: $309.95

Quantity: 1

Amount: $309.95

Product ID: ck-14

Description: RC-14 CESSNA 182 Cockpit Kit (1/5 Scale)

Price: $18.95

Amount: $18.95

Product ID: mu-67

Description: SIDE MOUNT MUFFLER

Price: $39.95

Amount: $39.95

Order Sub Total: $368.85

Florida Sales Tax: $0.00

Standard Shipping $26.50

Grand Total: $395.35

Turns out, that this isn't the basic kit. However, I have no idea what this plane is like in detail. Still think I want the Top Flite one. Anybody ever dealt with HobbyBarn on returns? Please respond.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:49 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're willing to put a little effort into it this plane can be built real nice, had one and yes there's a lot of building but worth it in the long one. Sorry, never returned anything as I don't buy online.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:25 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

I've been married for 26 years. I worry about your basic survival skills. Repeat after me:
"Wow, Honey! All I asked for was that little 182, and you got me this big expensive one that's so much nicer! It's so nice that I'll be afraid to fly it 'cause YOU gave it to me and if something happened to this big, nice, expensive one the YOU gave me, I would just feel AWFUL! Would it hurt your feelings if I send it back and get the other one, and use the extra money to take you out for a nice dinner?"
Her BS Detector will probably still go off, but you'll get points for kissing up.
Marriage is grand. Divorce is 100 grand.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:07 PM
vinnie

Default exchange?

Deadeye,
Since Hobby Barn carries the plane you want I'm sure they would
exchange it for you. You'll probably get stuck with the shipping charge at worst. I suggest you give them a call and explain your predicament.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:31 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Good points Jim, but 100 grand is a little off isn't it??
Old 01-28-2003, 08:58 PM
JimCasey

>>100 grand is a little off isn't it??
Old 01-28-2003, 09:19 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why don't you call them and ask them if you can return it. I would think they would have no problems with that, as they are a reputable company. Then ask if they have the one in stock that you want. If your wife will not understand this, you don't have to tell her. She won't know one kit from the other probably. If she does, she will understand that you wanted one brand. If not, bummer. If they will not take it back, you have recourse through the credit card company to get the bill reversed. Call them if the company will not work with you. I bet you will not have a problem though.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:32 PM
firefighter56

Default Wife

I've been married from almost 26 years. My son figure out this year that have paid for every present I've gotten in that time. Suck it up. It don't get any better.

I hinted for a 4* 60 all the way until 12/25. I got a tool box. This was the first time in 25 years I made a Xmas list at my wifes insistance. E mailed it to her, she opened it 12/26. Shoot me.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:58 AM
nchrome

Default Birthday Plane

Send it back and get the one that you want when she sees it just tell here you did a little Kit-Bashing. I'm sure she will understand that wouldn't she. I do it all the time so she never knows why the planes never match the adds
Old 01-29-2003, 08:52 PM
GeraldO
My Feedback: (2)

If you ever want her to buy you any R/C related gifts in the future, you'd better keep it and build it. Tell her how nice it was of her to get it for you. If you make her feel she got you a plane that you liked then she'll be more supportive of your hobby.
If you tell her it was all wrong you can count on getting clothing as gifts for the rest of your life.
Think of it as an investment in your R/C hobby future.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:19 PM
tiggerinmk

Did anyone notice that on the list of Pica kits, the price was listed as $209; but next to the order button on the actual kit page the price is $309?

Could your wife not have noticed the $100 difference? That looks like a valid return reason to me.....

There's also not much difference in size between the two kits, Hobbybarn may have made a mistake in the pricing (in their favour)

If I explained this to my wife she would understand, but then she probably would've made sure to get the kit in the first place ...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:36 PM
BigSky

Default Wrong Price?

Check it out they have the price of the kit listed for $209.00!http://www.hobbybarn.com/airplanes_kits_6.htm I would say keep the kit and demand a $100.00 credit.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:58 PM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

tell her the truth. After all if you bought her a nice pair of jeans, and a shirt, if it didnt fit or wasnt right would she return them for somthing she would wear. or she might accuse you of not knowing her well enough. either case its the thought that counts and if you thought you wanted a cessena 182 then exchange it
Old 01-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Deadeye

Default Duped

You guys won't believe this! The order was placed with Hobby Barn, but if you check out http://www.hobbybarn.com/airplanes_kits_6.htm

And scroll to the Cessna which they have as $209, it goes to a direct link to the Pica site which sells it for $309. That fact was mentioned above by tiggerinva. After calling Hobby Barn, they will take no responsibility in the order, because it wasn't 'really' ordred from them.

So why in the hell do they even have it listed? How would the average person even know they got redirected to the Pica website? I've sent an email to Pica, still waiting for a reply. If they will take it back, fine. If they pass the buck to Hobby Barn, I'm in for an arguement.

Hobby Barn is misleading, and they should take those planes off the site. All the Pica kits you click on THEIR site, redirects you to PICA!!! And, their prices DO NOT MATCH! But, unless you look at the address bar and read it, you have no way of knowing this!!! I have been taken advantage of, or more accuratley, my wife has.

I will NEVER do business with Hobby Barn!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:04 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Call the credit card company, explain the situation to them, and have them reverse the charges. Then you can send the plane back and get the one you want. They can take care of it for you if the barn won't.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:20 PM
beardking

Deadeye,
Not that this will make you feel any better or anything, but I went to the site that you had on your last message and clicked on the links like you said and noticed the difference, but I also noticed once I came back to the HobbyBarn website that there is an "Order Now" button over on the right side near the bottom. If you click on that, that's how you order the products directly from HobbyBarn. I still agree that this is very misleading of HobbyBarn to do, but it's quite possible that because of this that Pica might have an argument against you.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:38 PM
RCaeroguy

First of all, any plane that my wife would voluntarily buy for me is NOT the wrong plane. Second of all, there's no such thing as the wrong plane.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:49 AM
tiggerinmk

vacinekm,

I see your point especially as it looks like the two planes are very similar. I wouldn't know the exact difference unless I had them both in front of me side by side. Evidently Deadeye does know the difference, which is why he specifically wanted the Top Flite version. However, if that was the only problem, I would probably settle for the one that I have unless the was a big difference or a specific reason for choosing a particular kit.

However, the whole thing has been overshadowed by that fact that the kit was essentially overpriced by $100.

beardking,

I followed your footsteps and looked at the Hobbybarn order page. The entire order form is free format meaning you can type whatever you like into it with no validation on the item or the price. The form even has spaces to enter your credit card details on an unsecured page! :stupid:

I can only assume from this that they will manually confirm the order and contact you before sending it. Anyway, if I were to order from them it looks like the best way would be to phone it in.

Flyboy,

I wouldn't have thought that the credit card company wouldn't refund the charges to your card for an item you have actually received, let us all know if your experience is different....
Old 01-31-2003, 01:06 AM
tiggerinmk

Just had another look at Hobby Barn.

It appears that when you click on a link for a plane it takes you to an informatin page for the manufacturer.

Clicking on the Top Flite Cessana link takes you to the Top Flite page. the difference is, this page is just information with no order details.

I also tried it for Lanier and Duraplane.. takes you to the Lanier site or durapane which is basically a hobbico web page.

Maybe Hobbybarn, didn't realize that Pica had the order info on the plane info page, or maybe they thought you'd realize that Pica are $100 dearer.

Either way it's misleading.....
Old 01-31-2003, 03:30 AM
flap

If my wife bought a plane for me to build because SHE liked it for whatever reason, Id build it, however, most hobby wives I know, know squat about airplanes, so, its possible your wife bought you the plane to show support for you and the hobby you enjoy.
If this is this is the case?, its possible you could replace the plane with the one you want with the wifes support?
I wouldnt tell the manufacturer what kit you had before asking if they would allow the return of a gift in order to purchase another kit they have ,this way, for them, unless they ask, its a gamble that you want to spend MORE money.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:07 AM
augiep38
My Feedback: (3)

That hobby Barn website is misleading. It is definately a different animal than most other sites.

The only way I noticed the difference was the price discrepency and looking at the address bar on my browser.

That stinks!!!!

Todd
Old 01-31-2003, 04:26 AM
Dogz

I have one thing to says....well a few things...

Great wife, but if you exchange it the day you have an arguement she'll remind you of it..

and the other thing with there Web site, I looked for myself and think it is very misleading. there's probably a law against that...

I would take some screen shots incase they remove the link to cover there BUTT......

at the VERY least I would demand $100.

We get Judge Judy here sometimes in Aussie why don't you call her!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:16 AM
Deadeye

Guys, I don't know why this turned into a thread about my wife or an 'RC Wife', or whatever. I have an excellent relation ship with my Shannen, and she was only disappointed in my disappointment. No big whoop, she returns stuff I give her too.

Bottom line, Hobby Barn is very misleading. I have emailed picaweb, but after two days, nothing. I guess I will contact Hobby Barn again, and let them know how easy their reputation can be trashed on a place like this...maybe that will light some fires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.