Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Messed up with my elelvators

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Messed up with my elelvators

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 05:03 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messed up with my elelvators

I guess I didn't drill the holes even for the torque rod in my elevators because one elevator is @ 1/8th " higher than the otherat the TE. At this point the elevators and rudder are hinged and installed. Is there anything I can do? The plane is a Hog Bipe and I fly it pretty scale. no airobatics. If I have to leave it, how bad will it effect control?
Jeff
Old 01-29-2003, 05:37 PM
Kaos Rulz

Jeff,

Presuming everything else is straight and true (incidences, level wings and stab) the 1/8th inch may not be too bad. It will have tendency to roll in the opposite direction of the higher sided elevator. (ie. if the right side is higher than the left, the plane will want to roll to the left)

If unable to correct without major pains, suggest you set up the elevator neutral so that you have the 1/8th inch divided between the left and right sides. One side will be 1/16th below neutral while the opposite side will be 1/16th above.

Hope this helps -- Let us know

ED
Old 01-29-2003, 08:56 PM
RCFlyerNYC

Default Uneven elevators

Dividing the difference between the two elevators was what I was hoping to do. Unhinging the rudder and elevators and resetting the torque rod is a major operation. I'm not afraid of work, I'm just not sure I can reset the rod.
Jeff
Old 01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Something else you can do is a little surgery. Cut open the bottom of 1 elevator (the low one) and break the torque rod loose. then epoxy it back in keeping the two level. once cured, fill with balsa filler, sand, and patch the covering.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:06 PM
JimTrainor

Perhaps cut the torque rod and put in a second push rod using a splitter such as Sullivan make.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:07 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MinnFlyer is right.
First disconnect the elev pushrod so there will be no residual forces on the torque rod.

After you dig out the torque rod end and have it completely free, jig the elevator halves into alignment...popsicle sticks and rubber bands come to mind for this.
Then epoxy in place and repair as he suggested.

If you elect to fly it anyway with the elevators splayed, it probably will fly but the trim will change with airspeed. It won't be as smooth and precise a flyer as it could be.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:29 AM
RCFlyerNYC

Default Messed up elevators

I took your advice and opened up the bottom of the low elevator and reopoxyed the rod like you said. All is well again in RC land.
Thanks guys
Jeff