Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet LT-25 --Bashed

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kadet LT-25 --Bashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Kadet LT-25 --Bashed

I usually try to keep a trainer around just for nostalgia and any funflys that require them. Here is a photo of my original LT-25. It is powered by a Thundertiger .36 with a 12x4 prop. I changed a few things: Reduced dihedral to 2 inches total, bolt on wing, redid the tail feathers into a Cessna 185 style, enclosed the engine with a balsa cowl, canted the main landing gear forward, added a lower fuselage fairing and rounded the windshield area.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81350.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	591247  
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet LT-25 --Bashed

That looks nice, how does it fly? I picked up a kit last year to have to train people with.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
GarySS

Well, after a few years I have redone the color scheme to add a little life to the old bird. Hope this was of interest to a few.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94185.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	591253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90669.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	591254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47771.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	591255  
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Very nice. I like the "Dreamsicle" covering scheme. I have an old LT25 warhorse that I would like to convert to electric sometime this year. I've saved the pictures of your nice upgrades so I can, ahem, "borrow" them later. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Building a kit is like buying a suit. The alterations are needed to make it fit you better.

Just because no one deserves a plane that pretty without some grief: why is the switch on the same side as the muffler? Tsk, tsk.

Beautiful job on the cowl AND the covering. I build pretty and cover ugly, so no one appreciates my best work. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
GarySS

Finally got back from the library where I have to go to post pictures in RCU. My slow dial-up gets "timed-out" during even the smallest photo upload. Forgot to mention about the addition of the wheel pants. They are from a Great Planes CAP 232 kit. They are plastic units, but I loaded up the insides with FG and CA and used two Sig pant mounts per wheel to mount them. We'll see how durable they are.

Highplains: This Kadet flies very well with quite a bit of control authority from all surfaces. It weighs a little bit more than the stock kit due to my mod's, but that doesn't seem to reduce its nice handling characteristics. It does great touch and goes. They .36 can easily pull it through towering figure 8 maneuvers. Rolls are close to being axial (is that the right word?).

Charlie P. I usually place my switch on the left side of the plane which would be closest to me when sitting on the work benches at the field. Fuel residue isn't a problem there, but it does tend to collect on the planes underside. I agree exhaust and electronics don't mix!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really nice bash, Gary--thanks for showing it. I never liked the way the landing gear looked tacked on--your addition of a bottom fairing makes a big difference; I like the cowl too.

Very interesting to hear about the performance you get with it--you can do more with a high wing flat bottomed airfoil than most people would think. And those .32 - .36 size engines are a terrific choice for lots of power on a lightweight plane. Nice idea!

Do you use flaperons? Jim
Old 01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
GarySS

No flaperons, Jim; just a single aileron servo. GarySS
Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
spitfire60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
just finished my kadet----i added a cowl like nose---wheel pants ---wing stuts ---redused dihedrel and down thrust--also reduced pos incidence---it has .40 irvine great engine ---made flaps w/ 2 servos in wing---also have skis for snow---this is my 2nd kadet 25 w/.40 loss other one due to reciever failure--- it flow away not to be seen again this one flies great
see GALLERY FOR PICTURES
Old 01-11-2007, 04:54 PM
GarySS

Sounds interesting and fun Spitfire60. Your images didn't come through---------please try again!!!