Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Had a kit cut...Now a problem?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Had a kit cut...Now a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 04:13 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Had a kit cut...Now a problem?

Ok here is the deal.
I had a kit cut by a well known cutter. No laser all hand cut. I had paid for a full kit with all wood to finish. After getting the kit and comparing it to the plans he provided(copy of the original) and the original i have. I have discovered some of the formers are not cut properly and do not match my plans(original) or his plans(copies),Some of the wing rib jig tabs are not there for the center section. He did not cut the fuse formers(FA/FB) Nor did he cut the stab rear spar. This is what i have found so far with out going through the whole thing yet.
With some work i could make the kit usable and make the parts match the plans but i feel that it should to start with.
I have sent him an email this morning but have not got one back yet.

Question is. What would you do in this situation?

Pat
Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Had a kit cut...Now a problem?

I'd do exactly what you just did. Send him an email and NICELY tell him that there are a few parts missing. Tell him you will make an inventory of the missing parts in the next day or so.

Then wait for him to respond. Give him at least 48hrs to read his email and get back to you.

If he doesn't respond, then call him. Be nice. Tell him there are a few missing parts and ask him if he could send them to you.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 PM
meaden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the commercial kits I've built have had missing parts, things cut wrong or bad wood. I've never had a kit cutter do one. The Goldberg Ultimate kit I'm building now had the wing mounting blocks cut wrong. Really wrong...not even close. I just cut new ones.

I wouldn't worry to much about parts that can be cut easily out of stock material. But formers and other parts that need some special shaping I would (nicely) pitch a fit about. That's what your paying them to do.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
BankYank

meaden:::::I have never had a problem with a kit UNTIL a TFGS P-47 It had so many missing parts i finally got tired of calling TF and started using my own stuff. Other wise it would have turned into a two year build just waiting for stuff[:@]

This Hostetler Cessna 182 (120WS) Has all the parts. There just cut wrong. Should have ordered one from PCK it looks like.
Paid for quality and did not get it. I just hope he makes it right as i dont have the funds to get a different one
Pat
Old 01-06-2007, 06:41 PM
meaden

Good luck with your build.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:50 PM
AERORICH73

Sorry to read BankYank, about your ordeal with the kit cutter. I have several plans that would be nice to build from a laser cutter, but always had the worry about walking in your shoes; so the models have not been built yet even though I could cut out the kit myself. A good amount of advice has been given by others on this thread as what to do now. Maybe this thread will give out names of outfits who can cut a kit correctly, and stand behind their work. I surely would appreciate a list of kit cutters who you can count on to do a good job.

Rich S.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Newc

I have sent him an email this morning but have not got one back yet.
Probably worth keeping in mind that today is Saturday and they probably aren't open. A little patience will help.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:19 PM
1wolf
My Feedback: (3)

I have had 4 full kits from Precision Kit Cutters and another 6 short kits from Laser Lizard. All have been excellent! I won't do anything but laser cut from now on. Hang in there I would like to think he'll take care of you. Thanks to forums such as RCU most reputable businesses would rather clean up their messes than have them aired out here. (Yes I do still believe in Santa!) Anyway Good Luck with your quest!
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 AM
BankYank

Well he has agreed to cut all new formers and wing ribs. Said they will be out to me monday. Well see.
Pat