Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Is Monokote really garbage??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Is Monokote really garbage??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Monokote really garbage??

I would like to have some current input on Monokote. I have seen Monokote get alot of bad press, as of late. If it's as bad as what is said, why doesn't Top Flite do something to make it as good as it used to be? This only makes sense.

Have you used it lately and what do you think? If you use it and feel it is a good product, what are you doing different than the people whom instead of swearing by it, swear at it?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:17 PM
bluestratos

Default RE: Is Monokote really garbage??

I still use it all the time and have no problems that being said I did get a run of dark red that was really bad.. but thats the only time and I have applied well over a hundred rolls of it. Now, everyone has their favorite and some are easier to use than others but is monokote garbage.. no.. its a good product.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I think some suffer through it because they like the finish better. It is thicker and gassier thus my reason for not using it.
Ultracote is a lot more user friendly, compound curves, Ultra over Ultra etc.
Try them both, use what you like!
Old 01-12-2007, 04:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I would like to have some current input on Monokote. I have seen Monokote get alot of bad press, as of late. If it's as bad as what is said, why doesn't Top Flite do something to make it as good as it used to be? This only makes sense.

Have you used it lately and what do you think? If you use it and feel it is a good product, what are you doing different than the people whom instead of swearing by it, swear at it?
I've been using Monokote for about 10 years now and I haven't noticed any problems that others have claimed. I have heard that people talk about "fish eye" in the monokote. I have seen that in one roll, but heck there are odd times in any product that you get one bad. Have you ever found a burned potato chip in a bag? I returned the roll and the next roll was just fine.

I don't know why the rumors are running rampant about Monkote's quality is in the toilet. To be honest with you, I think it's a scapegoat. It's easy to blame the quality of the covering when you get a bad covering job, instead of somebody saying they can't cover well. I have seen this in a lot of people. They will swear to the end of the earth that they hate Monokote and will never use it again, when they had one bad covering job with it. I used to have horrible covering jobs too, but I got better at it with practice. It's like anything else in this hobby, the more you practice the better you get. So what I really want to put out is that I challange anybody that is going to trash Monokote to be honest with themself and the rest of us and decide if it's the Monokote that caused the problem, of if it's the fact that they need get better at covering.

Here are a few pictures of recent planes covered in Monokote, no problems at all to report with it.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44408.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	596363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70254.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	596364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20956.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	596365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34307.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	596366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85232.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	596367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du20707.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	596368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh81345.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	596369  
Old 01-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Robbidos
My Feedback: (20)

Well said, RCKen. I have used Monokote over the years with good results too.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't used any in over a year but was OK with it prior to that. Is this something new or just the "usual rumblings"?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

I haven't used any in over a year but was OK with it prior to that. Is this something new or just the "usual rumblings"?
IMHO it's just the usual rumblings. According to Bax (Hobbico Rep) Monokote hasn't change formula or anything recently.

Ken
Old 01-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Mode One

Ken,
Can you remove my second post on this topic? After posting this one, the topic disappeared from view for awhile and I repostred, thinking I had screwed something up!

Also, what happened to the spell checker?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Done.

Ken
Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sand the model smooth

Wipe off all the balsa dust

Use a damp cloth to wipe off all the balsa dust

Blow off all the balsa dust with 60 psi compressed air

Use 1/2" strips to do all the TEs (inside the aileron bays) and inside corners first

Work in the opposite direction of the airstream when lapping

Heat tack the Monokote

Tug like mad

Cut lots of darts on curves and tug like mad

And pull hard.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM
rctrax

I have been using monokote for over 15 years now and one would think that I would be getting better at it rather than worse. I have tried to cover two models lately[ last two mos] and I have decided to swicth to something else for my next plane. I hardly think that since I have covered many models with it It is my imagination that it is not the same product I have been using all these years. It just don't work the same as I have had in the past.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Mode One

Why was this thread moved? Covering your model has anything and everything to do with KIT BUILDING and is why when I thought I'd post this question, I put it there!

You want to loose patrons, keep doing things like this!

Please move it back
Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Why was this thread moved? Covering your model has anything and everything to do with KIT BUILDING and is why when I thought I'd post this question, I put it there!

You want to loose patrons, keep doing things like this!

Please move it back
M1,
You see, your problem is, you were looking for logic.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a moderator, but I would think that since the heading of your thread is a question, this would be the logical place for it to land.

To respond to you question; I don't use any of the iron-on products. I can't get a scale appearing finish on the Golden age planes that I care to build. The only way that I have been able to get an acceptable finish is with lightweight Ceconite (Koverall) and Dope followed by either a doped finish, or an automotive finish. Maybe I never learned how to use these products, but to me, they all look like a plastic finish. Some of them are very pretty, and the technique is excellent. They are just not what I'm after.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Mode One

Stickbuilder, What your saying then, is you can't ask questions on the KIT BUILDING topic, and if you do, you SHOULD get moved to the Q&A topic? If this were really the case, wouldn't the Q&A topic be the biggest and busiest topic in R/CU?

Like you, for fabric covered-scale airplanes, I prefer a fabric material. I am partial to Super Coverite. I don't just like, or just build scale, I also like to build and fly sport airplanes and will use a simple iron on covering to cover them, as it's fast, durable, easy to repair, shinny and light.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I simply thought that I could see how an Administrator, or Moderator would think that this was the appropriate forum for this thread, since you posted the heading as a question.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had convinced myself that Monokote was bad and I used Ultracoat on a couple planes. The Ultracaot works great but I recently started covering a GP Cap-232 with some Monokote I had on hand and I'm very pleased with the results. The more planes I cover, the better my finishes turn out, no matter what brand covering I use.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Rebsix
My Feedback: (8)

As you can see your going to get answers from both directions with that question. Some hate it and some love it. The best thing to do is try it and make a judgment for yourself. Each one, (Mono and Ultra) has it's good and bad points.

I use both Ultracote and Monokote depending on the color I want. I even mix and match a lot of the time. The LHS only sells Ultracote so I'm stuck with that when I need it right away. I like Monokote for graphics because I like the Windex method to apply them.

As far as Monokote changing the formula, I didn't pay any heed to it until I dug through my box and found some older stuff to use. Now, is it me or did it have a certain smell back when? That smell especially when it is heated brings back memories of every model I have built. A new roll I have doesn't have that smell to it but it works just as well.

Sniffing too many fumes I guess...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Reb
Old 01-13-2007, 04:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That change in smell is why I gave credence to the rumors. I miss it, too !!!

I haven't noticed any performance change in the product, either. It still works well for me.

Reb, have we met? I see we live in the same town.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

I am partial to Super Coverite
I am covering my scratch built Waco YMF with Super Coverite. If they could make a plastic film equal to it, or close as possible, it would be called Ultracote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Mode One

When I started in R/C I used Ambroids, silkspan and dope (talk about familier fumes)[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]. In the mid 1970s I used Monokote quite a bit. My initial covering jobs were presentable and I really only had difficulty with inside compound curves like at Horner tips and fillets. I got some wrinkles, but most the time I could work them out. Then I went to using Super Coverite and Silkspun Coverite exclusively. I liked to paint my planes and liked how these two products behaved; both for application and finishing. From the early 90s until the spring of 2005, I was involved in model railroading and took a hiatus from R/C modeling. Upon my return to the hobby, I've used ultracote quite a bit, as I visit R/CU almost every day and saw that Monokote has been constantly bad mouthed, here. It has also been bad mouthed in my club.

I have used small pieces of Monokote in the finishing of current projects. However, these small pieces are left over from airplanes built close to 30 years ago. I found this old product to be as easy to use as it was when I first bought it!

My current project is a Dynaflite SE5a in 1/5th scale. Right now, I am in the process of covering it with Antique Super Coverite and I have to say although it is much more expensive now, it is very easy to apply, goes around compounds with ease and is the same high quality product I remember!

So, my asking the question about the quality of Monokote is not from my lack of any experience with it. It is from an interest in separating the wheat from the chaff. I agree with some of you, I need to give the product a try and make up my own mind.

There are places where the extra stiffness of Monokote is exactly the right product needed, such as lightly built sailplane wings.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Rebsix
My Feedback: (8)

Sure we have Tom. Once at our TRAMPS Airshow in Empire a couple years ago before you had your Dora finished, and I chatted with you about your 109 at your Scale BBQ event in 2005, I didn't make it last year tho [&o].

Same town, two different clubs so I'm sure we'll run unto each other again this year at both events.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quit using Monokote last year. Sold off all of my rolls. The reason... I used one roll of ultracote on a project. I will never use Monokote again. Since then I have used up about 10-12 rolls of ultracote. I love this stuff!

The reasons I like Ultracote, keeps color after heating and cooling. I have had some monokote discolor.
Curves are a breeze! Monokote would tear on me.
The glue seems to adhear better to the surface.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started having problems with Mono about 8 years back. At that time it was only some of the darker colors but I started having problems with all of it, not shrinking even with A heat gun, sometimes not sticking well. Getting A good covering job and having it sag in the sun and then not shrinking back tight.
The answer was easy, just change to Ultra and never look back. I still have A lot of Mono out in the shop but gave up using it except for repairs on planes covered with it. The shrink rates are different between the two coverings.
If you like it keep using it, they have A lot better choice of colors then any of the other brands and I still like the shine.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:27 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, Jeff. I remember now. See you this summer.
ORIGINAL: Rebsix

Sure we have Tom. Once at our TRAMPS Airshow in Empire a couple years ago before you had your Dora finished, and I chatted with you about your 109 at your Scale BBQ event in 2005, I didn't make it last year tho [&o].

Same town, two different clubs so I'm sure we'll run unto each other again this year at both events.

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.