Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 02:18 AM
stevta
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardware

I haven't seen anything in this area concerning hardware. I'm putting together a Lanier Taylorcraft and what are your opinions on the best hardware for a 120 sized plane?
Old 02-12-2002, 02:38 AM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hardware

MK Products and Nelson Hobby, Together with Nelson hobby's water based paints and custom made hardware he's hard to beat.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:29 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardware

Nelsons paint and hardware, if your independently wealthy...mayby. There are a lot of good sources of quality hardware that you don't have to mortgage the farm on, such as DuBro, Sullivan, Rocket City, and Dave Brown to name just a few. DuPont makes a water based automotive paint that is probably the same thing Nelsons is selling.

Just my 2
Vince
Old 02-12-2002, 04:50 AM
EJB

Default $$$$$$

I agree that the MK & the Nelson stuff is high quality & arguably the best..it shoud be- it's the most expensive. However you certainly don't need it on a 120 size plane like a Taylorcraft.You don't need $15 carbon fiber pushrods or $10 servo arms.The other brands that Vince mentioned will work just fine.Just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.
Paint? That's a matter of personal prefrence, how much $$ you want to spend,& if you have spray painting equipment.There are many different brands & types of paints you can use.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:59 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Hardware

Nelson's linkage components are aimed at the giant scale aerobatic crowd needing larger servo arms, rudder horns, and idler bellcranks.

Dubro and Sullivan have some really good products as well, I would use them myself, and I do.

Rocket City is good, but they no longer exist to the average modeler. Nelson Hobby took over selling their line, so if you want Rocket City stuff, you have to go to Nelson anyway.

As for spray equipment, yes its good to have, but Nelson paint will go on just fine with a cheap foam rubber brush. I agree with EJB that its all a matter of personal preference. Nelson Paint is a lot different to work with, so those of you who have your old favorite, I say keep using it.

I use Nelson paint, covering and hardware (nuts and bolts no servo arms) because I work there, so I get a discount, which does make me biased. If I didn't work there I'd be using other brands of stuff.

EJB -- We feel that $15 dollar CF pushrods are a waste of money too. Thats why we don't sell any. We have aluminum pushrods which will run you $5 bucks a pair (+ or - a few depending on size) and its just as strong and light.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:08 AM
EJB

Default Aluminum pushrods

K & S Engineering (ksmetals.com) has T-6 thick-walled aluminum tubing, part #3060,in 12" sections that works great.Cut to any length & tap with a 4-40 tap.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:31 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Hardware

EJB we're selling the same type of Tubing as well. 12" 24" 36" with 2 per package. The only thing with hardware is that you don't want to scrimp and buy cheap hardware for an expensive project (when I say cheap, I mean no name stuff. Dubro and Sullivan are in what I would classify as quality)

--Paul
Old 02-13-2002, 05:40 PM
EJB

Default Hardware

Hi Paul,
Yeah,I agree.The Nelson stuff is top of the line quality.I'll be using it on my 31% Extra along with some of the Rocket City stuff.
BTW,is the Rocket City hardware going to have the same name,or is it going to be called "Nelson"?
Old 02-14-2002, 08:18 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Default Hardware

It will be called Nelson RC Linkage (or something close to that) but its exactly the same stuff, only the name has changed) I believe that some minor, very minor design changes are going to be done though. We have all the old Rocket City's part #'s so if you need to order it, just give us that, and we'll give you the appropriate parts.

Nelson will be at the WRAM show and the Toledo show for any of you going and we will have the product there I believe.

--Paul