Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Strange Hardware

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Strange Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:33 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Hardware

I recently scored an old OK Pilot kit from one of the auction sites. I was going thru the hardware and have a question about it. The elevator joiner wire has a coil spring that slides along the long axis. The strip aileron actuating rods have the same coil. It looks like a bearing but I can't for the life of me figure out how it works. The plans do not show the coils. no mention of them appears on the rather meager instructions. Most of them are in Japanese anyway.
So what are theses coils about and how do you install them. I am afraid to epoxy them to the airframe as I really would like the control sufaces to move, if you know what I mean.

I can shoot a pictiue of them if that would help.

I'm really scratching my head over this.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Strange Hardware

post a pic, please.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
wascamp

Ok, here are a couple of shots of the parts. The coils are very tightlt wound, but I worry that glue would get into them. I might tyy to put vasaline on the wire to keep the glue out. Thats the only idea I have now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98526.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	598042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29026.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	598043  
Old 01-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Lightfoot

Is this a u-control kit? I know what the pieces are but have not seen them used on an R/C model?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
wascamp

Howard, No it is a 4 ch. R/C ship. It's called a Fighter 40. It is a high wing tri-gear that looks like a trainer except for the full span ailerons. It came with all the hardware except the hinges. Actually it has quite a complete hardware set. Even the screws to mount the engine. The nose gear is very weird as well. It is a duel leg affair with an axel assemby that slips over the legs. I will have to photograph that as well as I have no idea it works. I have
Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 PM
klutz-1

Roger from lower central Washington near the columbia River.

The coils are bearings.You lubricate the wire then glue the coil into your wood frame.
Klutz_1
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM
wascamp

Roger, Roger, That was the only way I could think of to do it. I'll show you the nose gear tomorrow. You will love this one.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 AM
wascamp

Here is a foto of the nose gear. The axel assembly reminds me of a DC-3. It slips on the gear legs, the problem is that I can't see what holds it on. You will notice that the axel is wider than the gear leg width. That preloads the legs. Could that be all that holds it on? The axel struts are not threaded although there are slots in the top of each strut. Is it possable that I am supposed to epoxy them to the legs? I can't believe that preload alone is enough to hold the axel assemly on with engine vibration and the stress of takeoff and landing. It might be easier to replace this goofy setup with a new dubro unit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54479.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	598250