Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

4*60 screw up!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

4*60 screw up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
iraqvet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4*60 screw up!

I finished sheeting my wing halves and I was ready to join the two together when I noticed some "extra parts" in the box. Low and behold, I failed to put the spar webbing under the spars! Should I toss the wing, try to add the webs in sections, buy another wing or attempt to debond and undo my blunder?? Pass the Tylonol.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
formerlyknownasAWB

Default RE: 4*60 screw up!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Are talking about the shear webs?? If so just glue them to the back of the spars. If your material isnt' enough to go completely from the top of the spar to the bottom buy a new sheet of balsa. Then cut new shear webs and glue them to the back of the spar. It'll be more than strong enough.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
iraqvet

It's the webbing that connects the top and bottom spars. After looking at the wing a little more, I found I can cut the webbibng into sections, cutting off one side of the notch and slipping it into place. I can get to all of the spars expect for one under the sheeting.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
meaden

Yup, just glue them to the back of the spars. Won't look as clean but then you won't notice when it's covered. The important part is that they stiffen the wing so don't leave any gaps or cut them short.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you cut the sheeting so the grain runs up and down. Doesn't work if the grain ends aren't glued down to the spars, it will just split lengthwise.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me take another look at my kit to make sure, but I think that if you make a new joiner that will span that bay, you are going to be home free. I'll get back tomorrow after I check it out.

Don
Old 01-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie, the piece missing is the spar web. It was laser cut with grain running lengthwise. The ribs fit to the slots in it. It isn't shear webs. It stops at the two ribs from the root, and the dehidral jointer fills the gap where it is missing. If a longer jointer is used, Argggg. just realized that the jointer is 1/4" and the one rib will have a 3/32 slot in it. Oh well it was a thought. Humm, a hacksaw blade might enlarge the slot.

Don