Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP 46-60 Giles 202?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP 46-60 Giles 202?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:04 PM
FUZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP 46-60 Giles 202?

I have built the GP Giles 202 kit, and It just seems to fly very squirley. While I wouldnt consider myself an advanced pilot I have certainly flow aerobatic types of planes before with no problem. I was gonna ask those out there who have built this kit where they placed their CG at? and if they stayed with the engine thrust angle? I am using an OS .61FX with a pitts muffler with a MA 12x6 prop. To get it to balance out according to planes I had to place the TX and battery in the front portion of the turtle deck. Thanks for any help.

FUZZ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52420_8425.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	32351  
Old 02-04-2003, 12:50 AM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

You need to be looking to swing at least a 13" prop or better 14"
A 12" prop doesn't clear the thick fuse by much.
This probably means you should be using a 91 4 stroke

I have flown this plane with 61 2 stroke and 12" prop as well as with a 91 4 stroke and 14x6 prop and the difference is like night and day.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:49 AM
FUZZ

Hum,...... yes I do agree a 12in prop does barley clear that big cowl, but I am kinda stuck in that matter since this .61FX wont swing a big 14in prop.

FUZZ
Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 AM
lennyk

buy some lotto tickets this week then buy a 91 4s next week after you win.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:48 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't matter if the prop doesn't clear the fuse by much. The thrust is still there. Try adding some lead to the nose and see how it flies.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:48 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine too was twitchy even thoug I had a 91 Surpass 14X6 prop in the nose. FWIW, I preferred the GP 60 size Extra.

You might try reducing elevator throws as this plane has a lot of elevator authority.

Nice job on the trim scheme, btw.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:00 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

Default Giles 202

Try moving the CG forward alittle. Mine is aft some and flys like a bumble bee on crack when I have the high rates on. It is real twitchy. When it is on low rates with lots of expo it smooths out alot but I agree with Luvsbipes the .60 size extra is like butter. smooooth.
Jeff
Old 02-05-2003, 03:39 PM
FUZZ

Im gonna try moving the CG forward a little then. Right now, It balances per the plans with the Rx and battery just inside of the turtle deck next to that former. I'll move it out a ways and see if that helps.

Thanks,
FUZZ
Old 02-05-2003, 06:01 PM
WarpedWing
My Feedback: (3)

Default GP Giles

I had one of these for about a year. I was using a 91 4S and a 14x6 prop---I CG'd it per plans. I thought that the handling of this plane was just "off". Aeileron control was crisp----plane rolled better than any plane I've ever had. However, I couldn't get comfortable with elevator authority----low rates always seemed too low and high rates always seemed too high----no matter how much I adjusted them. Landings were always an adventure----never quite got the proper elevator throws dialed in to properly flair the plane. Knife edge flight characteristics were pretty good--fair amount of coupling. Had trouble keeping the 91 4S cool enough---the cowling is pretty tight. Overall, flight characteristics of an Extra or Laser are much better, IMO. BTW, I loved the design of this kit----really nice engineering and parts fit. My rudder servo was in the back----and I had periodic RF problems stemming from the long servo lead. Interestingly enough, I've flown the larger GP Giles ARF. That plane flies much smoother, much less "twitchy". I wouldn't build another .46 GP Giles, but I'd buy one of the ARF's. have fun,....WarpedWing.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:19 PM
FUZZ

Warpedwing,

Yeah, I have owned a 1/4 sclae Laser and it flew great, and I know a club member who has the 1/4 scale Giles ARF and it flies great. But on the .46 size Giles 202, the elevator is definately touchy. Since I dont have any "hangar queens", Im gonna just try and tame this wild bronc as much as possible.

FUZZ
Old 02-05-2003, 09:53 PM
lennyk

The throws on this plane are quite adequate from the ones I flew,
no need for big throws as someone mentioned earlier.

The one I flew with the 14x6 prop also had very little rudder pitch coupling and could fly slowly, turn knifedge and pull up square knifedge sharply with ease. You definitely won't get that with a 12" prop.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:26 AM
Peter Bejerholm

Default GP Giles 40

I don't understand your argument about the GP Giles 40 is squirley or twitchy. According to my dictionary ( I'm from Denmark)your opinion is that the Giles behave nervous and are hard to handle. I build a GP Giles 40 last autumn powered by a OS .61FX and only logged about 10 flight before the winther arrived so my plane is not fully trimmed. In general the plane behaviour much smoother than I expected. Landing was much easier than I have expected. Just small ajustment to the throttle under the finale will bring the plane down without any trouble.

The only surprise under my flight with the Giles, was that during tight loops it has a tendency to make highspeed stall. I have made some mixing to the ailerons, so they will act in the opposite direction than the elevators. It seens to be the right cure, but I prefere to add the mixing in small steps, so I have not reached the right amount yet.

I have change the landing gear to a fibre glass type and I have just moved it 40 mm forward to prevent the nose-over tendency. I fly from a bumpy grass field so I use big wheel and no covers.

I reinforced the ABS cowl with fibre glass and it became a little noseheavy. I had to add 50 g of lead to the rear end to bring the CG to the right position according to GP drawing.

I look forward to continue my trimming of the Giles, when the nature again shows it from a more tender side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53894_26759.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	32352