Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Covering my Four Star 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Covering my Four Star 40

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 PM
DaveCFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering my Four Star 40

First of all I want to say "thanks" to everyone who has responded to my other posts throughout this build. I have had a few questions and it is awesome to have a place to get answers!

This question deals with the covering phase, which I am getting quite close to. I have been thinking that I would cover most of the plane before I glued on the vertical and horizontal stabilizers. That way I could cover them separate from the fuselage. I am going to use a 3-color scheme with pinstriping that will actually make it 4. However, I have heard that some people put the whole plane together so they can balance out the plane before covering. Also I have seen some pics in other build threads where it appears that guys have assembled the plane before covering it. How do you guys suggest covering? Before or after the empennage is glued together and on the aircraft?

One other thing...I glassed the wing down the centerline yesterday (been putting that off for no apparent reason) and have sanded it a little to smooth out the epoxy. There is a ridge where the edge of the cloth is underneath the epoxy and I am afraid that if I try to totally smooth out the edge it will wear into the delicate balsa sheeting. I have some Micro Fill wood filler. Should I use that to sort of "mud" that area and smooth it out so that it won't be so noticeable under the covering? How do you guys smooth out the glass seam?

Thanks again guys for all the help, I don't know what newbies did before the advent of the internet. Made a TON of mistakes, I suppose.

DaveCFI

P.S. OK, one more question....my wing does not balance as it stands. The right side is heavier. What do you guys do to balance them out or will it make any difference. About 1/4 oz. on the edge of the left wing will make it balance.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Covering my Four Star 40

Dave,
The lateral balance should be checked with the plane assembled. Don't try to balance the wing by itself.

I have only built two kits, so I'm no expert. I built them like ARFS. Covered everything before attaching the tail feathers. Balancing had to be done after final assembly.

In RCKen's build thread of an LT-40, he describes his method of assembling the whole plane and balancing it before covering.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fwd....sageID=3439708
After it's covered and ready to fly, recheck balance and make any final adjustments.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on the plane. I usually complete it "in the white" and then cover. That way there are no exposed glue or seams and the angles can be covered with narrow strips before the flats are covered. The reason for pre-balancing is that it is much easier to add weight before the fuselage is covered. If it's a sheeted fuselage the only way into the tail section may be through the empennage openings. If I suspect I'll need to add tail weight or I anticipate changing engines or monkeying around with equipment I'll add a hatch to the rear lower to make access easier. If you REALLY plan ahead you can install a "weight box" or anchor plate with blind nuts to fasten the weights to inside the tail.

Some models lend themselves more to the way you propose: covering first. There is no "better" way of doing it really. When in doubt, follow the instruction book.

It also depends on the covering equipment you own and trouble you want to go to. I have a couple trim irons and several regular ones so I can play around with small strips in the corners and a hot air gun for larger spans. If I only had one shoe I'd cover the tail pieces first if possible.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
DaveCFI

bump