Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kit or ARF for a second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kit or ARF for a second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Harbro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kit or ARF for a second plane?

I recently purchased a [link=http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_hobbyzone_super_cub.htm]HZ Super Cub[/link] as my first plane. I'd like to start work on my second plane while practicing on Real Flight and with the Super Cub. I'm thinking I would like to jump into a kit (possibly the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001329966&I=LXFG18&P=K]Sig Somethin' Extra[/link]), but I'm not sure if I'd be biting off more than I could chew [sm=drowning.gif]. I have done a good deal of wood work in the past, but nothing on this small scale before.

1. Is there much benefit in going the ARF route before kit building?
2. Is this a decent 2nd plane, or should I go with a top-wing?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
manks7477

Default RE: Kit or ARF for a second plane?

You are going to want to get into a proper 4 channel trainer, or something fairly basic. The plane you purchased will be some fun, but it does not introduce control of the roll axis. If it were me, I would buy a Sig Kadet 40, or a GP PT 40 or a Tower Trainer 40 for our second plane. All are easy to build - I enjoy the building part as much as anything - and are good in the air. I believe that the best part of this hobby is the joy you have when something you built takes off and actually flys, that is just not something that you can get from an ARF.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can't disable the ACT on the Cub and still fly it (simulator doesn't count) you won't be ready to step up to a Somthin' Extra. I don't know anything about the HobbyZone Cub to know if that "auto-pilot" is bypassable.

Building a kit is always preferable to an ARF provided you have the time to invest. If you do take your time you can build a better plane than an ARF.

If you get rushed and hurried an ARF would probably be a better idea. With no tools and supplies to begin with ARFs are cheaper, but if you intend on pursuing the hobby and building now is the best time to start investing in tools and skills. The Somethin Extra is a very good first kit and a good second plane coming from an aileron equipped trainer.

Yes, it is disableable. That's good. The Cub weighs 1.5 lbs - thats bad. No offense, but a 1-1/2 lb foam model does not react like a six pound trainer. You may need a step between that and a Somthin' Extra. Maybe not. Just be aware that the flight controls will be similar but the response and "feel" will be different. And a hard bounce will be less forgiven.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

If you can't disable the ACT on the Cub and still fly it (simulator doesn't count) you won't be ready to step up to a Somthin' Extra. I don't know anything about the HobbyZone Cub to know if that "auto-pilot" is bypassable.

Building a kit is always preferable to an ARF provided you have the time to invest. If you do take your time you can build a better plane than an ARF.

If you get rushed and hurried an ARF would probably be a better idea. With no tools and supplies to begin with ARFs are cheaper, but if you intend on pursuing the hobby and building now is the best time to start investing in tools and skills. The Somethin Extra is a very good first kit and a good second plane coming from an aileron equipped trainer.

Yes, it is disableable. That's good. The Cub weighs 1.5 lbs - thats bad. No offense, but a 1-1/2 lb foam model does not react like a six pound trainer. You may need a step between that and a Somthin' Extra. Maybe not. Just be aware that the flight controls will be similar but the response and "feel" will be different. And a hard bounce will be less forgiven.
What he said.

Ken
Old 01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the others have said, go with a plane intended as a trainer. If you try to fly a SE too soon, it will most likely end up as a pile of sticks on the first flight.

That being said, ARF's are great but kits teach you a lot. I would recomend building a kit or two. You'll learn a lot about airplanes in general. It will even help you understand and better assemble ARF's down the road.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:46 PM
ChuckW

Speaking of a trainer kit...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5340556/tm.htm
Old 01-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Harbro

Yes, I now fly with ACT off only. I'm starting to find it more prohibitive than helpful most of the time. I'll stay in step and probably look into one of the true trainers Manks suggested. I noticed the Sig Kadet had a 70" wing span. I like the large size but is that a little too big to be a trainer?

Thanks for the help all.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly. The list includes most of the trainer kits that are out there on the market today. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 1-19-07) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-29-2007, 06:46 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: Harbro

I noticed the Sig Kadet had a 70" wing span. I like the large size but is that a little too big to be a trainer?
Size isn't really the issue with a trainer. In fact, a bigger plane is easier to see in the sky and can be more stable and fly better in windy conditions. While I have personally never built one, the Sig Kadet LT-40 looks like a good kit, as does the Great Planes PT-40.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Harbro

Great stuff! Thanks Ken
Old 01-29-2007, 06:58 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Falcon III makes for a great trainer IMO. As you get more comfortable and build some confidence you might be suprised what that plane can do.

Dan