Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet LT-40 Engine Size?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kadet LT-40 Engine Size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Harbro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet LT-40 Engine Size?

Considering this kit for my first build (only my second plane). Tower Hobbies lists the engine requirements for the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=tz7198&FVPROFIL=++]Sig Cadet LT-40[/link] as .30 - .40. However, I saw [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitexpertreview.cfm?editorial_id=171&kit_id=10]a review[/link] on this site that suggested the use of a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFMD5]OS Max 46 FX[/link]. Is that engine not too big? I found an O.S .46 AX. Would that suffice?

Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet LT-40 Engine Size?

That engine would be just fine for this plane. I did a build thread on the LT-40 and we used a Webra 50 on it. It made for a spirited plane in the air. I think you'll enjoy this plane with an OS 46 on it.

You can find my build thread here

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3439708/tm.htm]Pay It Forward build thread!! LT-40 build.[/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Hud-n-OTOW

I use an OS46 in my LT40 and have used a ThunderTiger46 Pro. It is not too much engine. In fact, I would hate to depend on a 30 to fly this plane.

HUDnOTOW
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LT 40 is very flexible. I had a student put a two stroke 90 in one. Flew just fine. Vertical was quite impressive
Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 PM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

My Kadet LT 40 started out witha OS 40 FX and it was great. Needed the engine for a new aircraft. And later put a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro on it. And that was great also infact a great match up.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Harbro

Thanks. Yeah, the .30 seemed awfully small for the size plane. I appreciate the help, and I'm sure I'll be using your build thread soon Ken...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
D-LOCO

I always wondered why the kit version of this plane recommends a 30-40 size engine.

The ARF version says 40-50 I think. Always wanted to ask why.

I fly my LT-40 ARF with an Evolution .46 and it seems to have plenty of power.

I wouldn't go smaller than 40 if I were you.

My $.02

Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Test005

I have .52 fourstroke on mine, this is perfect and I'd recommend it.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a SuperTigre GS40 on mine. $49.95 Tower Hobbies. I had a GS40 on a Towers ARF MKll and it had all the power I needed to get to the crash site.
SuperTigre`s are a little hard to dial in but you can`t beat the quality for the money.
Also Tower Hobbies .46 is $79.95 and develops a heck of a lot of power. Compareable to the OS .46
The OS 46 FX would be a good fit and find O.S engines a little more user freindly.
I think the bottom line with this hobby is how deep are your pockets? LOL Four strokes are great, but higher in price, all tho I just bought a Magnum 52 for $119.95. I`ve heard a lot of good about them and had to give them a try.
Heres a pic of my LT 40 with a GS 40 on it. Good luck with your engine selection, let us know what you decided on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91327.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	610360  
Old 01-31-2007, 10:01 AM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

I had a .46FX on mine and I would describe it as the perfict power plant for this airplane. I've also flown it with a .40LA and I'd say thats about the minimum, couldn't even get it to roll with that engine, and a loop needed to be preceded by a 200' dive[:@].
Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

I like fourstrokes better and use a Saito 56 on my son's. Like others have said it is a perfect combo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66338.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	611021  
Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the LT-40 plan offer the conventional gear option or did you work that in? I noted the LT-25 version is a tail dragger. I've a grandson ready to learn and am trying to decide which to build. Though I've engines for either, leaning towards the LT-25 mostly because the Enya 29 I've got is so easy to start and economical on fuel, though it is certainly far less powerful than modern motors. Any comments on the LT-25?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:52 AM
dadamisin

I built an LT-25 several years back. It was ABSOLUTELY the best kit I have ever built (at least in the last 45 years) Flew mine with a Royal 25 FSR with a 9-4 prop. It finishes VERY light (roughly 3.5 lbs) and the Enya 29 with maybe a 10-4 prop would be near perfect. Flight characteristics are awesome as a trainer, and lots of fun to fly after you learn basics. Some folks remove half (or even all) of the dihedral to improve aerobatics. But heck, if you want an aerobat build an aerobat. Keeping a stock LT-25 in steady inverted flight working against all its natural instincts to stabilize is a handful of fun!

I have an LT-40 kit that I have not built - thus cannot offer personal experience. However it enjoys a similar outstanding reputation, and larger airplanes ARE easier to see. The Enya 29 would be too soft to do much more than fly around in circles - most folks opt for a 46 2-stroke, but mine is destined to get an OLD Enya 45.

About the size thing. Both the LT's are very large compared to other trainers. LT-25 is as large as many other 40-sized trainers. The LT-40 is roughly the same size as the Great Planes PT-60! The LT's fly "on the wing" not on the prop...

You can modify a LT-40 to a taildragger or modify an LT-25 to a trike without a lot of grief.

Keep us posted on which you choose!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:30 AM
bjmjs

I put a SuperTigre GS .45 on mine & it's also an excellent engine choice when you move onto your second plane. In my case that was a Four Star 40.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:38 AM
jsmeed

I bought an LT-40 for my wife whne she was interested in flying. We started with an O.S. 40LA and the plane, IMO, was way underpowered. I bolted in a .46FX and the plane flew like a dream. Actually, a guy in our club went all the way up to a Tower .61 in his LT-40 and the plane was great in the air.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:20 PM
AA5BY

Thanks to all for the replies about the LT series of Kadets.

Dennis, your response and reading other accounts of the success of the LT-25 have leaned me that direction and I agree that the Enya .29 wouldn't be suitable for the LT-40, I was thinking if building it of using an HB 40 (a fairly strong 40) and also a very easy motor to start by the way.

I also appreciated your comments about the Kadet being a plane that flies on the wing. Many years ago I did a lot of training. The Kadet came only in a single rudder only version then. The slower roll response was beneficial to a beginner but injected some challenge when upgrading to an aileron plane from the bad habit of learning to steer with right stick. The plane was very rugged something a learning pilot could also value.

I don't do training any more... but I've watched a lot with the Alpha being a popular sell at the local emporium but personally I think the Alpha is too fast and too fragile for a trainer but that is only one mans opinion and I respect that others see it differently. Having said that, I don't know that the LT- series are any where as rugged as those earlier Kadets.

BTW, Marshall, Mi is not far down the road from my alma mater at WMU... some good memories of that area.

Arlyn....
Longview, Tx

Old 02-03-2007, 02:34 PM
ray foley

hi there from snowy Toledo!

I used an AXI 412018, 6s 4400 mah lipo, cc phx60 esc, apc 15 x 10 eprop, taildragger lg, 2 servo wing with flaperons.

To say it is impressive is truly an understatement. It flies at less than 1/2 power majestically. With 20 degrees of flaps and full power it jumps off the ground and it climbs like a homesick angel. Reflex the ailerons about 5 degrees for the high speed pass with reduced ballooning. Try it its fun. Also quiet and no oily mess.

It will also fly on just a 3s pack for low power, nonwindy day or late evening cruising, cool!

ciao -rjf
Old 02-03-2007, 06:43 PM
bhady

I used a Tower .46 on mine, flew wonderfully. The tower .46 ran like a dream, lots of power. the M.A/S nylon props were the best al;-around props for my set-up.

bhady
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
AA5BY

Ray... the electrics have really come into their own... glo can't match the power to weight ratio and the electrics are really performing.

One of the old timers (well.... older than me) at our field got rid of every bit of his glo.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM
ray foley

hi there from chilly Toledo!

Ive flown rc since 1969 and have seen a lot of changes in the hobby but ePower is by far and away the most dramatic change that I have witnessed and participated in. I dropped slimers in 1985 before eflight was truly practical, that however is ancient history. The new reality is that you can pick any airplane, kit, arf, rtf, molded, whatever and a epower solution is possible and extremely viable. It has been a long time coming but yeehah it is not going away and it is better in so many ways.

ciao -rjf
Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 AM
dadamisin

Arlyn:
Yup, WMU is roughly 25-30 miles straight west out I-94. My son had HS band competitions there and also auditioned for a scholarship. Beautiful campus, and last fall a pretty good football team!

I never had or saw an HB 40 run but they had great reputations. However I think the HB would be softer than the modern 46's you see folks mentioning here. Then again many have flown the LT-40 with a LA-40 - which is a pretty soft engine too. Your HB is probably at least as strong as that. Go with the HB and tell your grandson to start saving for a Tower 46!

I think the LT's are structurally simpler than the original Sig Kadet (that is an understatement!) I do not regard the LT's as flimsy, but it probably is not as rugged as the original. But then again they are a lot lighter which reduces impact energy. Lighter airplanes CAN fly slower too.

Sounds like you have a plan with the LT-25 & LT-40. GO FOR IT!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 AM
AA5BY

To my Michigan friends in this thread.... three of ya... while Y'all were bundled up yesterday, I flew in t-shirt and cargo shorts with temps in the mid sixties, but we pay for that privilege in July & August with excessive heat.

It is then however, that I try to come North for some respite and do some sailing on the Great Lakes. Raised in N/E Mich, the summer is to be loved there.

Arlyn
N/E Texas
Old 02-05-2007, 08:44 AM
dadamisin

Arlyn:
Gee THANKS for the weather report. Woke up to -10 this morning, could not have made it throught the day without being reminded of how cccold it is!

As for your Tx heat in the summer, remember what philosopher Yogi Berra sez: " They told me it was 110 in the shade, so I didn't go there..."

For me, it was it a great weekend to hibernate in the shop catching up on some eBay engine restorations...

Oh yeah, WAY TO GO COLTS!