Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Shaping the leading edge

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Shaping the leading edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:27 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaping the leading edge

When building a wing that requires you to shape the leading edge of the airfoil, what is the best technique to use? How accurate do you have to be and how do you ensure accuracy?

Jeff
Old 02-06-2003, 12:45 PM
beepee

Jeff,

TLAR is the best approach, "That Looks About Right." I generally use a Master Airscrew razor plain and take material off until the leading edge is faired to the top and bottom surface and has a smooth curved transition. The more round you make it the softer the stall characteristics, the sharper you make it the better penetrating capability and crisper aerobatics. ... always compromises. Some kits come with leading edge gauges that you can use to test your work. I don't bother, sticking to the TLAR solution.

Do that and you can't go wrong.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 02-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Dsegal

You can easily make a template to guide you. Place a bit of tracing paper of the plan and trace the cross-section of the leading edge. Glue it with a glue stick to a piece of file card and cut it out. Trace this shape onto the end of the LE, if you can, and also place it along the LE as you are working. As noted above, the Master razor plane is a must and costs less than $6. A long sanding block also helps.

Dave Segal
Old 02-06-2003, 06:29 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a razor blade or planer to rough it out, then a sanding block, and once it's close, I take a large sheet of sandpaper and run it like a shoe-shine cloth up and down the LE.