Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sterling Stearman

Just a question and a thought. With the increase in the number of ARF Stearmans on the market, what would it take for a laser kit cutter to make either a short or complete kit from the original plans. Seen a lot of requests for those of us that like to build for this Old kit. I was fortunate enough to purchase one off Ebay that is in excellant shape.

Going to enjoy building her.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sterling Stearman

Be aware that not all of the pieces are shown on the plans, particularly the bulkheads. You would do the world a favor, and trace them before you build. I'll take a set Since I did not have the foresight.

You would be wise to examine the Robart RoboStruts made for this bird. They ain't cheap, but the supplied landing gear are impossibly soft.

Les
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74317.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	617094  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder if they would scan to correct size.
    Will have a ook and play around a bit.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JimO

I wonder if they would scan to correct size.
    Will have a ook and play around a bit.

Jim
    I've had very good luck scanning directly to PDF files on an HP ScanJet scanner. PDF preserves the actual sizes and proportions when printing.
    I'd also LOVE to get my hands on a set of templates and plans for the Sterling Stearman, but I just can't justify the cost of a decent well-preserved kit...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done this for an old Champion kit. I used a very fine black marker to outline the dye crunches on the sheets and used my scanner to scan the sheet for all the parts. I printed the out and the matched up perfectly for me. I then do the vector ray tracing to preserve in CAD format for laser cutting.

Bill
    M4A3, M41, Elefant, Marine M4A3, Building M4A1E8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Les, that is an especially beautiful Stearman in your attached picture. Congratulations on a really fine piece of work.

In my limited experience those Sterling kits had lousy wood and not very good fitting parts, but they really looked right when completed. I guess that's why they command high prices on ebay. So many modern kits, like the Dynaflite SE-5 and the BUSA WWI types just don't look right when they're done because the designers messed with the proportions.

Nice work!

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim O: When you scan include a 6" metal ruler in the scan. That will allow you a size reference. It is probably that the X - Y sizes will not scan accurately, but will be close enough.

Buzzard. Thanks. It was a joy to fly after I got the Robart gear. Before that, there was no telling which way that thing was going to go, and I was not alone. There were two others in town that acted the same way.

Les