Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sealing hing gaps

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sealing hing gaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:55 PM
rogsteele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing hing gaps

Whats the best way to seal hing gaps on a sig 1/5 cub build?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Sealing hing gaps

If you're not into competitive scale, just use some Ultracote or Monocote on the underside of the aileron/wing and stab/el junctions and on one side of the rudder/fin junction. There have been some good forums on sealing here in the past, but it just comes down to adding a full length strip of film, the same color as the color you used, to the underside of the surfaces (or one side of the rudder). Be sure it is ironed on to each surface and it allows the movable surface to flex without restriction. I recently finished a Sig Clipped Wing Cub and sealed the hinge gaps this way and it flies great. Most of our club members who have seen it fly remark about how aerobatic it is. Lee
Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what it is covered with and how it is hinged. What have you got to work with?

Mark
Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most the time I seal like Lee but depending on the plane I sometimes cover the surfaces both top and bottom by using one piece of covering. Only reason for this is to keep the engine snot of A two stroke glow engine from getting into the gap. There are A number of ways, you can even buy hinge gap sealers that come in strips.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Newc

I sometimes cover the surfaces both top and bottom by using one piece of covering.
That's the only way that I cover both sides of wings/ailerons, fins/rudders and stabilizers/elevators. It is fast, easy and neat, leaving no seams and absolutely no gaps. All you have to do is - after covering the stationary surface - flex the movable surface the opposite direction to full deflection and use a trim iron to well adhere the covering to the TE and companion LE.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Using the one-piece covering method is a great way to do it. Another thought is to make up some Coverite hinges. Just cut two pieces appx 1-1/2" wide (or wider if you have a thick surface), pin them together glue side to glue side, then ask your significant other to sew a stitch down the middle, the whole length of the pieces. Then, before covering the plane, just use your sealing iron and attach the surfaces together. Be sure to keep the stitch right down the hinge line, and don't stretch it too tight so the movable surface won't bind up. Cut it to length and use a little thin CA on the end stitches. Be sure to paint the "up" side after hinging with some BalsaRite so your covering material will stick to the hinge material. Results in an inexpensive hinge, seals the gaps, and it's very strong. Lee
Old 02-16-2007, 07:55 PM
rogsteele

Thanks guys, this will be a lot of help, this is my second kit build, so it been a learning experience, first build was a G.P. 60 trainer, this sig 1/5 cub has been great to work on
thanks