Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Nose Gear Steering Setup Issue

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Nose Gear Steering Setup Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nose Gear Steering Setup Issue

The nose gear I'm using on my trainer runs up inside the engine mount. The steering arm is therefore very close to the firewall. The only way to get steering in both directions is to angle the arm out say 30degrees or cut a slot in the firewall so the arm can move back and through it. What is the standard setup?
Mike
Old 02-17-2007, 09:13 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nose Gear Steering Setup Issue

Angling the arm out will work fine... be sure however to add another flat spot at that point for the set screw to lock on. A dremel tool with a sanding drum does an ideal job of placing the small flat spot.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 AM
KitBuilder

Ok... Thanks.. i don't currenlty have a flat spot so I'll make one.
Mike
Old 02-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Dsegal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another solution is to use a DuBro E/Z mount steering arm which installs inside the spring coil of the nose-gear strut. You will have to lower the steering pushrod path to use this. It also is a positive mount which will never slip the way a set-screw arrangement can. Go to http://www.dubro.com/ and see part no.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The flat spot is crucial, accomplishing several purposes.

1. It gives the set screw a seating area that allows the full ring of the set screw to make contact. This provides the resistance necessary to deter the set screw from loosening and the area of contact necessary to avoid a little vibration from wearing and loosening the set screw. Bottom line, a set screw will almost always loosen when screwed against a round landing gear shaft and will rarely loosen if tightened against a flat spot.

2. If the set screw should loosen, the nose wheel strut wont fall out because the set screw makes contact with the sides of the flat spot.

3. Perhaps the most important is that a set screw might remain tight but rotate on the strut and cause lack of position on the arm. The flat spot holds the position of the arm... without it, the arm will almost certainly move under some strain.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
KitBuilder

Well I'm new to RC Universe and haven't figured out the pic posting thing yet. But for the nosewheel I used a bellcrank type setup using what I had on my bench since I didn't get to the hobby shop. But I also like it and will be able to get a spring over-ride setup working on the upper arm so the nosewheel stress won't be xmitted to the servo.
Mike