Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

BTE Venture 60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

BTE Venture 60

Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTE Venture 60

Well, I got the urge to build something simple but nice for the winter season, so I ordered a SIG 4* 60 only to find out that they are not available and they don't know when they will be. Then somewhere in the RC Universe someone had mentioned the BTE V60 so I took a look and fell in love. I ordered my V60 this last Monday and expect to see it this week..........we are both in Oregon. This looks like a fantastic bird and from what I've read the BTE kits are absolutely of superior quality and complete at that. I don't know if I can wait until the snow starts flying but I'm gathering all the stuff I'll need before then. Anyone else building this kit?

cheers,
Andy
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BTE Venture 60

Many people have these kits and it will be the best one you have or ever will build. A four-stroke 70 to 125(a bit on the powerful side) will fly it. A 60 to 90 two-stroke will do fine. It is a "quality" kit and everything else will be substandard in quality after this build. Enjoy I have one built, one in a kit and also the very first kit(Venture 60) that Bruce sold.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	us52770.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	1497398   Click image for larger version

Name:	id97388.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	517.4 KB
ID:	1497399   Click image for larger version

Name:	ej14702.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	1497400  
Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM
wazzbat

From what I've heard, they are a very nice kit.  I will hopefully be looking at maybe making this the third plane I build (if I make it that far)?  Bruce was very quick to reply to my email and very helpful too.  The only problem with getting one shipped to Australia is, the fuse needs to be cut in half because it's too big.  Apparently it is no problem splicing it back together though?  So it sounds like Bruce's service matches the quality of his kits and I'm sure you will enjoy the build!  Good luck with it!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
dash008
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

Many people have these kits and it will be the best one you have or ever will build. A four-stroke 70 to 125(a bit on the powerful side) will fly it. A 60 to 90 two-stroke will do fine. It is a ''quality'' kit and everything else will be substandard in quality after this build. Enjoy I have one built, one in a kit and also the very first kit(Venture 60) that Bruce sold.
That is a nice looking plane. well done.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:59 PM
GaryHarris

Whats the difference between the Venture and the 4*60? I know Bruce designed both and the Venture uses Sig balsa but thats about all I know.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM
GaryHarris

Ok I just noticed something on airbusdrvr's plane which is beyond sweet btw, nicely done! He moved the rudder and elevator servos to the tail. My only complaint about the 4*60 I built was how tail heavy it came out. With a Saito 100 up front, I still had to add 15oz. of lead up front.

Does the Venture build more neutral as far as CG goes?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Have to finish engine mount for my trusty old Kadet Senior then it is on to the Venture kit. Wood quality and cutting is beautiful so I am looking forward.

Am thinking of having some fun and putting my new Saito 90 twin on it. A bit of time carving a cowl and should look and sound great.

Tom
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
oldtyme

Along with the hankerin' to build a simple but nice plane came a hankerin' to try a Magnum XLS 61A engine. I've read a lot of good stuff about this engine and with an OS 61FX costing $189 and the Magnum costing $99, I decided to give it a try. I've never used anything but OS and decided to walk on the wild side. There's a lot of good stuff coming out of China these days and the highest price is not always the best most quality deal anymore. I hope I'm not sorry...........but it's an experiment.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Whats the difference between the Venture and the 4*60? I know Bruce designed both and the Venture uses Sig balsa but thats about all I know.

Gary, I wrote a list of ten differences between the two kits and have it posted on my website. This link will take you there...

http://www.btemodels.com/vt_vs_fs.html

Also, about the aft-mounted servos - if anything, the V60 tends to build nose heavy, so the aft servos might actually help the balance. It depends a lot on engine weight, but I rarely hear from anybody with a tail-heavy V60. I actually have some tail weigh in mine.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Gary, I wrote a list of ten differences between the two kits and have it posted on my website. This link will take you there...

http://www.btemodels.com/vt_vs_fs.html

Also, about the aft-mounted servos - if anything, the V60 tends to build nose heavy, so the aft servos might actually help the balance. It depends a lot on engine weight, but I rarely hear from anybody with a tail-heavy V60. I actually have some tail weigh in mine.
And now we know
Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 AM
GaryHarris

Thanks Bruce. I may call you today.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 AM
airbusdrvr

If you build the Venture, you can search RCU for a build thread or two I seem to recall. About the only mod(bash) that I would consider would be shortening the wing one bay(each wing tip). This would probably increase roll response in a small way and increase takeoff/landing speeds maybe 1 or 2 mph. But since the Venture takeoffs and landings are already reasonably slow, you most likely would never notice. It kind of depends on what your flying desires are.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
oldtyme

Actually, the only mod I was thinking about was sheeting the leading edge of the wings back to the spar. A friend of mine did this on a 4* 120 and it just looks a bit cleaner. I think I'll leave the wingspan alone because I'm not a speed demon and the plane probably is better off flying as designed. Thanks for the tips though...........I'm really looking forward to this build.........it should be here in a day or two and I'm going to have trouble saving it for a winter project. Here is a picture of the trim scheme I fell in love with and will try to duplicate. I'll of course leave off the "JR" on the wheel pants because I'm a Futaba kind of guy.

Name:	Hf98109.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1497952  
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

I have built two Ventures. Both were powered by Saito.82s and they balanced with no additional weight anywhere and no aft-mounted servos. I think the Saito .82 weighs less than the two-stroke engine shown on the drawings for the Venture. The wings are very strong without any additional sheeting. They are v.nice kits a equally nice airplanes.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 AM
GaryHarris

I was thinking of a Saito .82 also. Humm. I better count my pennies.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:09 PM
oldtyme

Yeah, if I add the sheeting to the leading edge it isn't for strength, just a smoother look................or I might just build it stone stock and leave well enough alone.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Nergall

I love my Four Star, but that list was spot on for the few complaints I had on it!

Mine balanced just fine though - with a slightly over-sized engine.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Thank you for the compliment on the color scheme. It was a long time ago, but as I recall, I used Monokote metallic gold/metallic charcoal. The stripe was top flight striping. I used dual aileron servos, pegged the firewall and landing gear block. I often woundered what it would have looked like with a Saito Golden Knight engine. I considered putting the servos in the rear. I'm glad that I didn't as it balanced perfectly with no additional weight added. It was a nice flying airplane and a dream to build and land. It was somewhat underpowered with the FX .61, but I was flying at an altitude of 5,000+ ft altitude in Wyoming. There are schemes which are easier to see in the air. Good luck with your build!

Name:	Ki20572.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1498382  
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
oldtyme

Bob, I need to ask...........what color did you use to paint your wheel pants? I'm covering in the MonoKote Metallic Charcoal like you said you did but there is not matching LusterKote paint. Did you just use black for the pants or is there another matching paint choice?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Andy,
I'm sure that I used rattle can gloss black, probably from WallyWorld. * I do recall that it was so cold out in my garage when I painted the wheel panties and landing gear that the paint would not flow out. I ended up with a rough "pebbly" finish, similar to the rock resistant finish that the auto companies used to use on auto rocker panels. It actually looked pretty good.

* A better choice would probably be fuel resistant top flight rattle can paint.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 PM
bgorham

wow - bruce brought her back into production! that is great.

there is a pretty good venture 60 cult out there ... and i am one! i actually still have one on the workbench from a kit i bought many years ago. here is a link to a post on mods for it. I had a bunch of fun building a cowl on this last one!

good luck, you are going to love this plane!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26..._5/key_/tm.htm
Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
jsevey

I have the Flyin king and the Vortex. Both excellent. The Vortex is still my favorite ride even after 7 years. BTE has exceptional designs.

jim
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Lowvoltage

I am building a Venture 60 that Ibought from a guy who is getting older. The newspaper used for packing isdated 1998. I originally bought the Saito 82b engine for it. It runs like a clock. But, I saw a Super Tigre .61 with a big ole silver spinner and a Mac's black muffler the other day, and ordered one. The Saito will be installed on a Flyin King one of these days. I have the Super Tigre on a Hayes mount with a 11X8 wood prop for break-inand a 2-1/4" spinner andthe Mac's muffler. I think I could use the stock Super Tigre muffler on my truck. It's big enough.

Joe
Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
airbusdrvr

I've flown all of Bruce's planes excepting the jet. I had a Saito 1.20 on my Flyin' King as I recall. I would think the 82 four-stroke would be a minimal engine for the King. It is a big airplane. The 82 would make a nice performing Venture.

Name:	bz78822.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	1501479  
Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Lowvoltage

I will take your advice into consideration. I had emailed Bruce Tharp before I bought the Saito, and he assured me that the engine would work well on the Venture 60 and the Flyin King. I haven't built model planes for over 40 years. I just started back into the hobby in the last year. I do have a couple of ARF's. I have a hangar 9 Alpha trainer that has been used to dig post holes, till the garden and aerate the pond on more than one occasion. Another is a Great Planes 1/5 scale piper cub (Saito 62) that is glued and put together very well. And another is a Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee (Saito 82a) that Ihave re-glued and epoxied as far as I can reach in all directions. The cub and the pawnee fly great. I just wanted to get back to building. The Venture 60 is a spoiler. I think you could figure out how to build this plane without the plans. My problems now are with CA glue and plastic covering. I like wood glue, and I want to cover the plane with Sig Koverall and seal it with Minwax Policrylic. Any advice pro or con is welcome.
I have built the wing and decided to install dual ailerons and not deviate from the original plans otherwise except to move the landing gear forward due to takeoffs and landings on rough grass. RC UNIVERSE is a treasure chest full of knowledge and friendly people. Thank you all for sharing.

Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.