Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACE R/C 4-40

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ACE R/C 4-40

ORIGINAL: vdraper

I've just bought an Ace 4 60 at an auction, and I need to know what the normal CG range is.
    Thanks,
    Val
    I just balance mine at the main spar.
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120
    Kadet Brotherhood #155

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a 4-40 I bought on Ebay for 63.00 stil in the box awaiting its turn. I also have the 4-20 I built converted to electric . For that one, I cut a new fuse from balsa using the lite ply for patterns. It came out much lighter and still plenty of strength. I plan to do the same with the 4-40. Thanks for the tip about the dihedral. I will do that.
    I have to agree that the loss of the Doc Mathews 4-40 and Bingo series from the kit builders perspective is a sad one. I have hopes that someone will someday pick up the rights and laser cut the entire series. I would also like to build the seaplane if I can find one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

vdraper

As with all of the planes in this series...the back edge of the main spar is a good starting point...and then proceed from there as your flying style dictates...if you flaten the wing out and eliminate the last rib bay at each wing tip, as ACE showed on their 60 size Bingo, which is basically the same plane only built as a low winger...the plane comes to life, so too speak...built as shown and described in the manual it's a very docile plane, if one is looking for a good 2nd plane I always said this was the one to go to...basically takes off and lands it's self...send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a couple of pictures of mine...haven't learned how to move pictures from one place on my computor and post them here yet...good engine for your 4-60 is a OS 70II with a 14 x 4w prop...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a 4-60 kit and my dog literally ate the instruction booklet. Do you know where i could find another? That is all I lack. Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can anyone hook me up with a way to get a 4-60 instruction book?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just found this thread and read some pretty interesting stuff. If anyone has anything on a 4-60 Bipe that would allow a reasonable chance for a build, please let me know. Already talked to amelia-air about this... thanks to you for your reply, BTW.
    Club Saito Member # 659
    AMA # 364318

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i'm looking for plans for the ace 4-60 bipe and the 4-60 mono. can you help me lylec@longlines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm also looking for a 4-40 Mono or a 4-60 Mono. Kits or plans. eons ago I reviewed many of Toms kits and I loved them. Hope to find some info. I'll pay for plans and then return of course.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am interested in purchasing an Ace 4-40 kit. Send information, price etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone know the contol set ups for the old Ace 4-40 single wing plane? Looking to get mine out of the attic and into the air soon but need a starting point and can't locate the manual. Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I/4" up and !/4" down for elevator and maybe bit less for Aileron until you get in the Waldo Pepper
    mode.........I have one too. Good luck buddy. I have plans for the 4-40 bipe if you want a copy along with the instructions.

-Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had an ACE 4-60 bipe. I flew that thing until I wore it out. Towards the end, when I would do a snap roll, I could see the wings flex. The firewall was starting to come loose and it was getting tired. After a day of great flying, a beginner t-boned it while it sat in the pits. I made him buy it (per our club rules about crashing another guys plane). It was a fantastic flyer but I didn't care for the construction. I don't like all ply fuselages or turbulator spar wings. I'm a D tube, balsa kind of guy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vdraper

I've just bought an Ace 4 60 at an auction, and I need to know what the normal CG range is.
    Thanks,
    Val
    25% of the MAC is a good starting point. Something I want to bring up after reading this old thread. If you manage to buy any kits it's a good idea to make up templates of all and every part, doesn't mater if it's a kit still in production or not. Once these kits are gone those of us builders with the plans and templates are still in good shape and can share with others in the future. I'm making templates right now on an old 1/2A kit. Not a lot of people will beat down my door for templates and plans for it but it will be there when needed. Just a reminder.
    Gene
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would be interested in selling my ACE 4-40 Bipe if there was an interested party. It is RTF, add receiver and go for it. Flies great, but I need to get some room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75350.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	1323625  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Altacom, Do you still have the plans. I'm interested in getting a set of plans 4-40 bipe or 4-60 bipe . I'm local (Everett, I fly out of Arlington Eagles field)

Fred
    https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: No Step

Altacom, Do you still have the plans. I'm interested in getting a set of plans 4-40 bipe or 4-60 bipe . I'm local (Everett, I fly out of Arlington Eagles field)

Fred
    https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
    Hi Fred:

The plans I keep to go with the plane should it need repair.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had 2 4-40 mono planes and I built a 4-40 bipe, I miss them all!!! my wife even learned to fly on a 4-40 I didnt build. On the bipe, I made both wings with ailerons, to this day I have never flown an airplane that was more relaxing and just plain fun!!! it would do the most axial rolls of any biplane I have ever flown. I flew them on Saito .40s and 45s. I would dearly love to build some more someday! they look great too, I love the Captain Eddy pilot.
    I plan to live forever, so far, so good...
    Club Saito Member #673

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just received 4-40 bipe plans from RCM. The plans call for some ACE hardware. Can this hardware be obtained anywhere these days? Might have to fabricate it myself - huh? Also, I have a Magnum 52 XL (4 stroke) for it. Will that be to big for it?

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see lots of interesting posts about the Ace RC 4-60 Bipe. I bought that kit back in 1994 and never got further than the wings. I still have the plans and the rest of the kit except for the instructions. This was my first Bipe and I don't no how to set the wings now that I'm getting back into it after 16 years. Talked with someone from Lazer Works in Texas, he said there are some alignment jigs with the kit but I couldn't find the pre-fabed metal struts he was talking about. The instruction manual is supposed to have detailed blow by blow for this procedure but I failed to keep the booklet in with everything else. I must have pulled it out to read it and never returned it.
    ANYONE HAVE AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR THE ACE RC 4-60 BIPE ? OR KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ONE?
    Thank you!
    Chuck L

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's a 4-60 Bipe build thread going on righ now. I think it's on RCU. Search ALL the forums here. You should be able find it.

I found the thread. Sorry. It's a 4-120.
    Tom C

Sig Brotherhood # 120
    Kadet Brotherhood #155

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm looking for instructions for an Ace 4-40 bipe. I would also like a 4-40 bipe kit or 4-20 monoplane kit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Bill, I saw your comments re the Ace 4-60, and am hoping you could help me obtain building instructions for a kit I have for this model. I think I could put it together without, but sure would be easier with! I would be only too happy to pay you for all expenses incurred, plus a bit extra!!
    This is my first forum foray, and I hope I am going about this the correct way.

Cheers from Down Under, Ian.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I built an Ace 4-60 about five years ago. It is one of the best flying planes I have ever seen. Mine has an OS .60FSR on it and it will fly at just a couple of clicks above idle. Beautiful flying plane. Ian, are you looking for just the instruction booklet or do you need the plans and instruction booklet?
    \"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is\"

Intolerance is not to be tolerated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast