Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes P-51 retract installation question...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes P-51 retract installation question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:29 PM
combatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes P-51 retract installation question...

Hello guys,

I am building a Great Planes P-51, and was wondering if anyone who has built this plane followed the directions for retract mounting rail installation, or added their own reinforcing structure. Are the mounting rails epoxied securely enough to the rib doublers (along with the 1/4" balsa triangle) when flying off of a grass field? Or, did you add anything further to insure against tearing the wing apart in the event of a hard landing?

By the way, I am using Great Planes .40-size mechanical retracts, and 2 3/4" ultralight foam treaded wheels.

Thanks for any input!

-Dan
Old 02-11-2003, 05:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, grass and retracts don't mix. Since moving to Minnesota, where I only have access to a grass field, I only have 1 plane with retracts (A GP US-40) And there are few times that I don't either bend them back (Note* I'm using 3/16 gear wire) or rip one out. Needless to say, I don't fly it as much as I'd like to. (Also note* I modified my US-40 with flaps, so it even lands slower than most)
Old 02-12-2003, 06:08 AM
Bruiser-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default retract mounts

I put ply doublers on both sides of the ribs and I used triangle stock to reinforce the mounting plates to the doublers. They held up fine, but I was flying off asphalt.

-Bob George
Old 02-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Dan: I am building the same plane and am very interested in the answers as well. Our field is also grass and I'm concerned. Also, are you installing the torque rods in the ailerons as shown? It seems to me that for the amount of area the ailerons have that the outboard edge should have a horizontal pin (or rod) at the center of the aileron chord to the wing tip . I think the way it is designed there maybe a flutter problem. What do you think about using the hinges supplied with the kit? seeing a pic of this would be easier to explain, oh well, LMK what you think, Mikel-T
Old 02-13-2003, 08:08 PM
MinnFlyer

As for the torque rods, here's a suggestion that I did on mine. Cut 6" flaps that run off the torque rods and use Ny-rod for the ailerons. There's absolutely no loss of aileron control, and the flaps work GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55058_7722.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	33846  
Old 02-14-2003, 02:48 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

Minnflyer: Based on that idea, which just made my day, I can't wait to get back to my shop. Terrific!.......NOW , what if you wanted to try and conceal the control horn on the elevator by putting the linkage on the middle of that torque rod( inside the fuse? Huh, what bout that one! Huh, I bet you can't figure that one out. ( I can't
Old 02-14-2003, 04:39 PM
MinnFlyer

That would be a little tougher, but not impossible. First, you'd have to solder a metal control horn to the center of the torque rod. Then, you'd need to put a hatch on one side of the fuse (at the rear) for access to it. Or you could just cut a square hole and cover it over with your covering, but you would need access for connecting the push rod.