Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hog Bipe Questions

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hog Bipe Questions

Old 02-12-2003, 07:38 AM
n7tb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hog Bipe Questions

I am going to build a Hog Bipe and would be interested in what owners of this plane think is the best 4 stroke for the plane. I know one fellow with a Saito 91 and he told me that a full throttle at takeoff, the bipe really torques to the left.

Perhaps a little smaller engine?

I would also like to hear of any general comments you might have about building or flying this plane.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 02-12-2003, 01:09 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sig Hog Bipe

I've built several of the Sig Pigs and love them. I have put anything from .61-1.08 2-strokes and several types of .91 4-strokes in them and never had a problem with any of these engines. I have run small props with deep pitches and large props with shallow pitches. None of these have created torque problems on takeoff.

You can slowly advance the throttle and control it on the ground or you can jam on full power and be off the ground in about ten feet. Either way, if you take time to set up your tailwheel steering you won't have a problem.

I prefer the .91 4-strokes over the 2-strokes. I normally run a 14x6 prop with no problems. I can't imagine why the other guy was having any problems on takeoff. Good luck with yours, you'll love it.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:08 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I have flown mine with a Saito 72. Great combo. Very light and has good power.

That said, I would rather have a Saito 100, OS 91, or a YS 90.

Weight gain would be very slight. Power and WOW factor would be a bunch.

I like the 72. It does a great job. But a Bipe needs power +++++.

Of course if you just like to fly casual, stay with a smaller motor.

tonyc
Old 02-13-2003, 02:09 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque will be more evident with a four stroke, but you just have to advance the throttle smooooothly, not jerk the stick forward, and apply right rudder. You will have no regrets with a Saito .91. One of the guys at our club has that combo (Hog w/ .91), and it is awesome! Fantastic setup.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Nuker

I have a Saito .91 in my Hog.

As FlyinPilgrim said, don't blast the throttle; fly the plane. Give yourself 40-60ft of run space down the center and advance the throttle slowly. At 3/4 throttle (after the .91 is broken in) you can give it a bit of up elevator and apply some right rudder and it will lift up smooth.

Make sure you check your thrust angle on the plane while setting up. If you see left thrust; fix it, don't fly it)

The nice thing about the .91 is that if you lift too suddenly (read stall takeoff) it will have enough power to pull you out of trouble. Not verticle but you can right the plane and continue onwards. I don't recommend trying this but I can say from experience it works

I also use an APC 14x6 and am completely satisfied with performance. It takes the Saito quite a few runs to really break in so you'll be running rich for awhile but it will still give you more power than you'll need.

With the dihedral the hog floats better than most bipes on approach, but it is a bipe and has to be flown in.

Good luck

Bob
Old 02-14-2003, 02:02 AM
n7tb

Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. Looks like the 91 is the engine to buy.

Terry
Old 02-14-2003, 05:13 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Saito 100 on mine i like the combo
Old 02-14-2003, 12:31 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default .91 4-stroke performance

Terry,

Just to let you know, my first Sig Pig was built completely stock with no deviations from the plans. I put a Magnum .91 4 stroke on it with a 16oz tank. I used a master airscrew 14x6 4-stroke prop. I used standard servos on the throttle and ailerons and some FMA metal gear 77oz servos on the rudder and elevators. Once the engine was broken in I could jam on the throttle from a dead stand still, go straight ahead about 15 feet and yank it off the ground to a straight vertical climb. I would then pull the throttle back and let it settle into a hover at about 20 feet. No problems with control or hovering. I would only have a little extra throttle left over to pull it out of the hover, but it would still accerlerate straight up.

Second one I built, I highly modified it. I moved the gear an inch forward, moved the firewall back an inch, and cut lightening holes in the ply sides. I left the rudder and elevator basically as they come in the kit without cutting them down to shape and added a taller turtle deck and coke bottle canopy making it into a poor man Ultimate. I also left off the rounded wingtips which made the roll rate faster. This one I powered with a Magnum 1.08 2-stroke. This one would hover easier and had more power out of the hover. It elevator's like you wouldn't believe and would do some incredible harrier passes.

The only problems I ever had with them were these: Some of my CA hinges would fail after many flights. This was a combination of not getting all the hinges lined up perfectly, the extreme throws i was forcing on them, and just the sheer number of flights i would put on them. The only other problem I had was on one of them I had the elevator pushrod fail, my fault though. I didn't get a good solder joint on the clevis at the elevator. On the maiden flight she flew perfectly, came in to land it and decided it flew so good I would make it a touch and go and come around one more time and land. Well, on the downwind pass after the touch and go it just slowly nosed over and went straight in. Solder joint failed.

Stock or modified you can't go wrong. I liked the second one for banging the sticks around and the first one for barnstorming. My next one will be another stock plane, might try the Saito 100. Once again, good luck with yours.