Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 PM
teookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

shawnskx100, How do you plan to hinge and latch your luggage door? It's a good idea, I have not decided for sure where to put my switches and stuff, but your giving me more ideas. I kinda want to copy this guys idea, [link]http://home.san.rr.com/aircor/Site/Pg3.html[/link] but I don't know if I've got the skills.

Looks like I'm using much smaller gage wiring than you. :-) I've been pulling the wire out of a phone line to use. It's pretty small but should work, we're only talking about a couple hundred milliamps here. I'll be getting my lights (LED's) through [link]http://www.allelectronics.com[/link], as well as my servo Y cables. Only $4.50 there as opposed to $10.00 at tower. The super bright LED's are a few bucks each with green being the most expensive.

I will post updated pics tomorrow, gotta spend some time with my wife!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 PM
gauravag

Im interested in this one too i od have the formost door latch, but look forward to ideas to make it look good and be funcitonal too.
we can then put in all out switches inside !
-Gaurav
Old 03-31-2007, 10:04 AM
teookie

Ok, so here is an update:

I’ve managed to get the firewall in, as well as the framework for the forward upper fuselage. It was not easy, I spent a fair amount of time dry running it before I used any glue. Make sure when you laminate your F1B together that you do so with each parts natural bends in opposition. If you don’t, you’ll end up with a curved former like I did.

I used triangle stock on the back side of the firewall to try and strengthen it up. I will glass it in as well. Epoxy alone makes me nervous considering how much model engines vibrate.

My other tip for this section is to ditch the standard firewall, and make your own out of 1/4†ply. I think the firewall that comes with the kit is strong enough, and light, but it is difficult to work with.

Here is a pic.

I made an error, here. The instrument panel is supposed to angled, not straight up and down. I failed to look at the plans before gluing it in.

Does anyone else think this looks suspiciously weak for the wing mounting point?

Hmmmmm…

It’s actually a bit stronger with the sides glued on.

My solution to make myself feel better about the wing saddle support was to make duplicates of the doublers supplied with the kit and glue them to the backs of F2B and F3B. The end result feels fairly strong, although this will not be model to practice pulling hard out of a fast nose dive with.

A few of you have commented about how fast I’m building. Well, thanks, but when you build fast you make mistakes. The above pic show why you should install your servos before framing up the top part of the fuse. It’s going to be tricky drilling my servo mounting holes now!

More pics later…
Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build thread. Here's how I did my luggage door, it hides my switches, light controls, and fueler. I hinged it with a nylon hinge, and it's held shut by rare earth magnets. I also made a magnetic hatch for acces to the tail controls. The last two pics show how I made my front wheel pant removable for strut service. I fly my 182 with a Magnum 91 inverted, the exhaust comes out of the right cowl flap using a Dubro silicone extension. I put it around at 1/3 throttle most of the time. More than enough power. Full meal deal on lights, including NAV, rotating beacon, and landing lights all controlled with TX switches. I also imbedded a voltwatch into the dash, so the dash also has its own lights. I spent over 300 hours on this build, but it was worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64204.jpg
Views:	928
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	653552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84705.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	653553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90098.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	653554   Click image for larger version

Name:	So43032.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	653555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12891.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	653556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55826.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	653557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61753.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	653558  
Old 03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
shawnskx100

That's how I plan on doing my door Deadeye.

teookie- It's ok, I made the same exact mistake with the framing and not installing the servos first. It turned out ok, It was pretty easy to get a drill in there and drill the holes for the servos, but something like a pocket pin vise should have absolutely no problem. The only actual problem I have right now is that I can not get the clevis's screwed onto the push rod(The side that is inside the cabin/connects to servo). I'm going to be using all metal clevis's so I might just solder the ones that are inside the cabin, and use metal screw on ones for the tail side of them. Don't worry about the door, it wasn't that hard at all, the only thing that will be a problem is making the actual door, since the balsa I got with mine was actually weak, it would just like crumple when I tried to cut my door(Even using a brand new #11) So I basically made another door from scratch to go there. Don't worry about not having the skill, I'm only 15 and I did it. It jsut takes some plane-common sense!

for my next kit I plan on doing(TF Giant Corsair) I am going to have everything ready before I start, that way I don't have any hold ups. But theres a few more plans to come before that(TF Cessna 310, Shockflyer) And I still need to cover my .40 Cub before I do any other kits.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:01 PM
nzak

Dude, slow down!!! I am starting to think you build planes for a living!!!

Just kidding, glad you are way ahead of me now, I get to use you as a guinea pig!!! The pictures of your build are very helpful for me to visualize what I am going to do. Much better than the pictures in the instruction manual. Thanks a bunch Teeokie!

Nick
Old 03-31-2007, 03:55 PM
wounded_bird
My Feedback: (1)

This kit is quite a challenge. I just started assembly on my cessna. I am doing fiberglass covering also. Using Klass Kote, and is working out real well. I bought a os 120 w/pump to power it. Have had good luck with the os engines. I am duplicating my kit. Making 2nd set of parts to build along with the main kit. I really don't know why I'm doing this. I have always liked the lines of this airplane. I want do a different color scheme on the second. Oh. by the way . there are some great tips on this web site on inproving and stengthing the structure in certain areas. Check it out. Rich Zaggia
Old 03-31-2007, 05:10 PM
mikemedic2

Deadeye that is a great job on the door! thanks for posting pics so when I build mine I can use them for reference. Tookie just stick with it I am making a ton of mistakes on my 51 build, it is what makes each of our planes unique.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh here is something i remember. When you start cutting the rear window IF you cut it on the lines it will appear to be to small. It is not!!
You need to sand a small lip around the opening so the window sits flush with the balsa and it's a perfect fit.
Pat
Old 04-01-2007, 08:22 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I've got one of these sitting in the attic that a buddy built to about 90% complete. I've never done anything with it. This thread just might give me the inspiration to complete it...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 PM
shawnskx100

Want to sell it?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:27 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey cadconversions: How is the ultimate flying i sold ya a few years ago?
Pat
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Sure, I would sale it. It has several servos installed, the robostrut, etc.. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll get you some pics.

Pat, The Ultimate flew great until the crystal vibrated out of the rx and have it a really deep burial in the ground. Everyone at the field cried with me. Great flying plane too. Good to hear from you again.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just Fab to see such a pretty--hansome you name it airplane as yours posted here -back in the day I went through a (self taught) crash course learning to fly primitive single channel rudder only on Carl Goldberg 1/2 A Skylanes of which I built numerious until finally building a sucessful one,all were painted in factory schemes as observed at the airport many a week end back in the 1960-70s.

Well any who after seeing your SCALE 182 project and others here I'm thinking of a Top Flite Skylane done up as a 1965 or 1966 or 1967 scheme or
Old 04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
teookie

Thanks, deadeye for posting your pics and sharing your ideas. We need as much of that as we can get on this thread!

There are so many options you can build into this plane it makes it a really exciting build. Even though most of the airframe on mine is done, I don't think I'm even half way through building yet.

I managed to get the wing mocked up on the fuse, as I'm sure we are all prone to do once we have semi-complete components:

I decided that I needed to sheet the bottom of the wing before deciding if and how I should modify it (it is not sheeted in this pic). I may end up sheeting the top so I can remove the flaps, and get a better view of the wing to fuse interface.

I have also cleaned up my workbench. It was messy after sheeting the fuse!
Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
shawnskx100

CAD- PM sent.
I need to get more glue, I'm held up on that right now, and I sure as hell am not paying almost $6 a ounce at my LHS, I'm ordering a 16oz bottle of thin and medium for $33 each soon.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM
shawnskx100

Well I finally broke down. I decided that once I am done with this plane, I am going to sell it.Not that I don't like it, it's just that there are(well were) some things I wanted to do with this plane but I'm at the point where it's almost to late. So I'm just going to finish this plane, probably not even fly it, sell it, and pick up another one(That is if for some reason I don't get the one from cadconversions, I would probably end up keeping that one and finish in a different scheme) and also order a 1/5 TF giant corsair to build as well. Hopefully the money I get form selling this plane(I have seen them sell for around $1500, but I wont be looking for that much) I can get both kits and have money left over for the accessories.

My initial goal for this plane was to have full rivet and panel lines along with a completely decked-out interior, but I figure I will save that for the next bird. But when I sell this it will have a complete interior installed, just not the way I'm thinking of for the next bird. I will also make sure I do a build thread on both planes, Just because they are fun.

For anyone who is thinking about wanting to buy it, in a nut shell it will be glassed with 3/4oz cloth, robostrut up front, full interior and lighting, Futaba electronics(Still debating if I want to keep the receiver or not), and most likely a .91 2 stroke or a 4 stroke if I can find it cheap enough, I'm saving the Saito 100 Twin for the next bird.

Sorry to high jack the thread man, but just thought I would put it out there since this thread is infact about the TF Cessna.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
teookie

I got my servos yesterday, and managed to get the rudder servo installed before I went to bed last night. I used my dremel w/ the flex attachment to drill the holes, and it made it really easy to reach down past the upper fuselage framework to the servo tray. So yea, installing servos AFTER framing up the upper fuselage has turned out to be no problem.

Oh, my posts are probably going to become more infrequent soon. My wife and I are expecting our second child any day now. So naturally, I'm going to be focused on other things for a while! This should give those of you who are also building this plane some time to catch up!

Later,
Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 PM
nzak

Congrats on the expected arrival Teookie!

Maybe i can get close to catching up now. I think its time for my ideas to make it to the airframe. The planning is over, just need my supplies now.

I think in the next couple days I will get back to work on mine. I have had some trying times lately with my dads health, not sure what is next still, only time will tell. Thanks for the inspiration once again. This thread has become a place for me to call 'home' where troubles are distant. Time to get to work on the plane and put the hard times and troubles aside. I need my relaxation project again.

Thanks again 'Teookie' this is a great thread here, wish you well with your newborn, can't wait for the updates to come.

Nick
Old 04-05-2007, 07:57 AM
mikemedic2

Congrats to you and your wife tookie may all go well!! and here is to long quiet nights
Old 04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
teookie

long quiet nights indeed... I'll let you know how that goes!!

What do you guys think about mini MagLight bulbs for the landing lights? They are pretty dang bright, run on 3V, and draw around 300 mA each.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 AM
nzak

Teookie, I found a nice system from a link on here, the lights were all bright and it came wired for a direct connection to the reciever. Now that I am looking for it again, of course, I can't find it. I will keep trying and post it here when I find it.

Nick
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
nzak

After searching for what seemed like hours, here it is! These lights appear to be very bright, even in daylight. Someone get some and try them out so I will know before I buy them!

http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDR-117/index.shtml

Nick
Old 04-12-2007, 04:39 PM
teookie

nzak, those lights are cool... but expen$ive!! I wish I knew what kind of bulbs those are so that I could build my own. Should be able to save some money by just buying bulbs…

The baby is a few days late, so I’ve had a chance to work on the plane a little.

Here are some photos!

stab and fin glued on.

My hitech servos did not come with a big enough servo horn to make one like the plans show. I’ll see if this will work (give me enough throw), but I will probably have to buy a bigger servo horn, or switch out to a futaba servo.

Got my 6 Volt battery and soldered on a connector. My receiver says it’s good up to 6V, but when this pack is peaked it’s at more like 7V. Hope my receiver won’t fry.

Wing bottom skinned, and servo hatches installed.

I can’t help doing mock ups!

This is what I worked on last night, fuselage top.

Questions? Comments?

Oh, I've been trying to figure out how much Klass Kote i'm going to need and here is what I've come up with:

White 100 $20.95 (1 pint)
indigo blue 312 $14.95 (1/2 pint)
deep blue 310 $13.95 (1/2 pint)
gloss catalyst 405 $31.95 (1 quart)
reducer 500 $9.95 (1 quart)

Total $91.75

This is enough for only one coat of white. I'm hoping this will be enough. What do you guys think?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
nzak

It's looking good man!

I dont know a whole lot about the glassing part, hopefully someone here will. Did you decide to go with the RCV engine?

I think we all do mock-ups, it's only natural!

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.