Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Cessna 182 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 PM
polakowa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Cessna 182 build

2/3 parts of the fuse fiberglassed over and under the stab root. Have not fiberglassed the front of fuse because I am having some concerns/problems fitting the cowl to my liking. See two posts down for pics. Used 1.8oz for fuse. See weight pic on next post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16482.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	904198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87460.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	904199  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 PM
polakowa

These pics were all ataken at the same time, in other words the weight shown includes the three servos and whatever you see in any of these pics.

Name:	Db84436.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	904202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65940.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	904203  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 PM
polakowa

As you can see the cowl has not been fitted to the ring or cowl blocks. Anybody have any suggestions on how to acheive this with a perfect result.

Name:	Kh17815.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	904204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78104.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	904205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23198.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	904206  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:22 PM
polakowa

Attached the elevator joiner before mounting the tail cone. In other words have to install elevators before tail cone but before paint. So to avoid all that problem I made a tail cone ring and sanded everything to blend. Notice that the blend is very poor and not at the same angle as the fuse. Any suggestions?

Name:	Ax73002.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	904207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34744.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	904208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73303.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	904209  
Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 PM
polakowa

Some other photos. Namely I need some help fitting the gas tank under the dash it is so close to fitting any suggestions?

Hope you guys enjoy the pics!!!

Name:	Yw68560.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	904210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35384.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	904211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85160.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	904212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14785.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	904213  
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM
nzak

I would try using magnets to attach the cowl, and blend the fuse to match it.
The 16 ounce fuel tank....Maybe go with the Sullivan flextank, they make one that is 16 ounces.
Can't help much on the tail, I am nowhere near that stage, nor have I thought that through yet.
Its looking good though, wish mine was a lot closer to that stage.
What cowl are you using?

Nick
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM
polakowa

Tell me more about these magnets. I guess the real problem I am having is blending the cowl. It seems the cowl is a little too big so i gotta watch the engine space. But i am having a hard time sanding the cowl blocks and ring to accomodate the cowl seemlessly.

The cowl i got as a package with tail cone and wheel fairings from sea commander (gogle it, tell ryan Adam sent you)
Old 03-15-2008, 07:31 PM
nzak

I will put some pics on later of my electric Ultimate Bipe, it uses magnets on the cowl. That was where I got the idea from. Did Ryan make the cowl specific? I am wanting to make my Cessna an 'S' model.

Nick
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Use a heat gun on the tank and form it to fit
Old 03-16-2008, 02:53 AM
polakowa

nzak, I am pretty sure he made it from a mold of the plastic parts from the kit.

Airwizard, you may have something there. I will try it. I was gonna use two part expandable foam to anchor the tank so this may actually work. Much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
kerwin50

Has anyone install hobby lobby's on board starter and if so can you give me any info on it or pic's
Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Newalan

Hi,

I live in UK and just received the Cessna 182 kit complete with cockpit and Robart nose wheel. My question is about the nose gear spats (wheel pants).

I had a quick look at the instructions and the plans, but how you attach the spats to Robart (forked nose gear) is not very clear. The instructions only mentions attachment to the stock nose gear.

Has anyone done this before and if so how did you do it. I have looked through all the threads (very interesting but couldn't find the answer)

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Alan
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: Newalan

Hi,

I live in UK and just received the Cessna 182 kit complete with cockpit and Robart nose wheel. My question is about the nose gear spats (wheel pants).

I had a quick look at the instructions and the plans, but how you attach the spats to Robart (forked nose gear) is not very clear. The instructions only mentions attachment to the stock nose gear.

Has anyone done this before and if so how did you do it. I have looked through all the threads (very interesting but couldn't find the answer)

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Alan

Looks like I found the answer, once I looked at the plans again, it became clear that they have used a Robart Dummy Oleo Strut and not the actual oleo nose gear. ( I guess I will keep it for some other project)

Alan
Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Newalan,
You should definitely use the Robostrut on your Cessna.
Step 1 is two build a new mounting block that angles the strut more forward and truer to scale (look at full scale pics and emulate)
Here's some pics of my nose gear with the Robostrut.
Anything less just isn't gonna cut it IMHO, cause if it ain't scale, it's crap!

Just because it doesn't look easy, doesn't mean you shouldn't find a way to make it work.

You see, the pant doesn't have to be fastened on incredibly firm and rock solid.
Create an opening in the top large enough to insert the upper strut and oleo up through from the inside.
Then fashion a cover to close that opening up around the strut. Then, since the width of the fork fits relatively snug to the side walls of the pant, simply replace the axle screws with socket head bolts that protrude through the pant walls (see my 2nd pic).
I may have had to put some light ply in the side walls to fill any space between the fork and pant...don't remember.
It can't go anywhere. You've prevented it from moving up and down with the socket head bolts, and you've prevented it from rocking for and aft by closing up the top opening to capture the strut.
Now, mine does have a very small amount of fore and aft movement in it, but I like the idea of it having a small amount of give on landing impact, or those off-road mishaps. Never had it come loose.

But, the most important thing is that you do it in a scale manner. This is too nice of a kit to not make it as scale as possible.
Get out to an airport and spend some time and megabytes, then match that in 1:5 scale back at the shop.

Good luck,

Paul

Name:	Ki18251.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	914635   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42778.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	914636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52916.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	914637  
Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 AM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Newalan,
You should definitely use the Robostrut on your Cessna.
Step 1 is two build a new mounting block that angles the strut more forward and truer to scale (look at full scale pics and emulate)
Here's some pics of my nose gear with the Robostrut.
Anything less just isn't gonna cut it IMHO, cause if it ain't scale, it's crap!

Just because it doesn't look easy, doesn't mean you shouldn't find a way to make it work.

You see, the pant doesn't have to be fastened on incredibly firm and rock solid.
Create an opening in the top large enough to insert the upper strut and oleo up through from the inside.
Then fashion a cover to close that opening up around the strut. Then, since the width of the fork fits relatively snug to the side walls of the pant, simply replace the axle screws with socket head bolts that protrude through the pant walls (see my 2nd pic).
I may have had to put some light ply in the side walls to fill any space between the fork and pant...don't remember.
It can't go anywhere. You've prevented it from moving up and down with the socket head bolts, and you've prevented it from rocking for and aft by closing up the top opening to capture the strut.
Now, mine does have a very small amount of fore and aft movement in it, but I like the idea of it having a small amount of give on landing impact, or those off-road mishaps. Never had it come loose.

But, the most important thing is that you do it in a scale manner. This is too nice of a kit to not make it as scale as possible.
Get out to an airport and spend some time and megabytes, then match that in 1:5 scale back at the shop.

Good luck,

Paul
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your clear instructions, yes you are right if it's worth doing then it's worth doing right. I am looking forward to start on this kit in the next month or so. At the moment I am working on scale 88 inch Hurricane since the weather is starting to get warmer here in UK I aim to finish the hurricane in the next 5-6 weeks ready for summer. My online build of hurricane is at: [link=http://www.flyingsites.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4579.0]Hurricane Build[/link]

I will glass the Cessna and use the same lighting system that I am using on Hurricane (very bright Led's). Once again many thanks for your tip on the the Nose Gear pants.

Alan
Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Jericho

I may have missed this on this post if it has already been mentioned...what thickness of Glass Cloth are you using to glass your 182? Does anybody have any suggestions? I am currently building this plane and am sheeting the fuselage, but I am trying to think ahead a little and decide what I want to cover this plane with and I am juggling between fiberglass or cloth. Does anybody know how well the Coverite Cloth covers and looks? I have never seen it personally as most planes have monokote, but it seems what I have read about the cloth material it may be a better choice than Monokote.

Thanks for any help.
-Robbie
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Newalan

ORIGINAL: Jericho

I may have missed this on this post if it has already been mentioned...what thickness of Glass Cloth are you using to glass your 182? Does anybody have any suggestions? I am currently building this plane and am sheeting the fuselage, but I am trying to think ahead a little and decide what I want to cover this plane with and I am juggling between fiberglass or cloth. Does anybody know how well the Coverite Cloth covers and looks? I have never seen it personally as most planes have monokote, but it seems what I have read about the cloth material it may be a better choice than Monokote.

Thanks for any help.
-Robbie
Hi,

I haven't chosen the glass cloth, as for the thickness, I am not sure the exact thickness but it's very light and very fine the type used for glider wings.

Glass cloth is not that difficult, but if you are prepared to do a lot of wet and dry sanding then the finish is as good as monokote but very durable.

Alan
Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I've used .5 oz and .75 oz cloth......I would suggest .75 oz for this plane
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Newalan

Once again many thanks for your tip on the the Nose Gear pants.

Alan
You are most welcome Alan.
Enjoy the build!
Paul
Old 03-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Newalan

You are most welcome Alan.
Enjoy the build!
Paul
I am sure I am going to have great fun building this one, since I learnt to fly full size on a Cessna (albeit Cessna152) they are no doubt the world favourite.

Alan
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Jericho

Hi, what have you guys done about fuel-proofing the servo tray and section behind the firewall on this plane? I sprayed four coats of MinWax Polyurethane (I believe its the oil based...or so MinWax website stated it is) on the servo tray...But I am worried that it wont be enough. I might be paranoid, but I would hate to do all of this work and have a fuel leak that could really ruin the inside of the plane. Would this polyurthane be enough or should I coat it with the K&B epoxy paint? Any suggestions on what any of you have done?

Thanks
-Robbie
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
mikesan152

Hi Robbie.

I like to use slow cure epoxy (or epoxy paint). Anything that's fuel proof should work.

On an engine related topic, I have followed this thread from the beginning. Excellent input and pics! I'm planning this model for next winter. A couple people have mentioned using a small twin. Does anyone know of someone who has actually done it? I'd like to find out how much cowl cutting was needed.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
nzak

Mike, here is a picture of one. I was thinking of putting it in inverted so the needles dont stick out and using micro servos to control the mixture. I just don't like the cuts in the cowl for the valve covers.

http://webpages.charter.net/ghendrix...les/image5.jpg
Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
mikesan152

Hi Nick.

Not a bad looking plane. I sent him a pm to see if he had any pics w/o the cowling.

Back in the day I used silk and dope, then I went to monokote for ease of application. I have never been much at trimming out a plane, though. That's the problem I have with scale... Can monokote be used to replicate the trim like that?

Mike
Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM
nzak

Mike, it can, but you will probably want to get the film cut on a plotter. Any vinyl graphics shop should be able to do it. I think fiberglass and paint would be a better choice since the plane is fully sheeted. Stronger and more durable too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.