Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Old K&B 20 Sportster, need plane.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:49 PM
eniac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Old K&B 20 Sportster, need plane.

So I was on the phone with my dad the other day talking planes, when he brought up the old CL planes in his garage. On an old CG Shoestring I still have a very happy K&B 20 that I loved as a kid. It started up with little more than a flick of the chickenstick, and throttled without issue. I was hoping I could find an RC plane to hang it on. I would like something that isn't very stressful, but is still fun, but all I can find is the same old GP 20 cub kit (oh, btw, I'd like to build as a kit, not an ARF). Why can't I find a Super Sportster 20, or even a 4* 20? Where have all the 20s gone?

Any ideas? Is this something that I will need to do a scratch build from plans on to find a suitable plane? Does anyone have a 20 sized kit that seems a good fit and would be willing to part with said kit? Maybe even plan recommendations?

eniac
Old 03-12-2007, 06:07 AM
fokker20planes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Old K&B 20 Sportster, need plane.

Can't think of any kits off the top of my head. I'm like you though, I like a lot of .20 powered planes but not much available. As far as scratch building goes there are so many fine Randy Randolph designs that I'm sure you could find one to your liking. Purchase a plans catalogue from RCM and you'll find many nice .15 to .25 powered designs. I'll keep thinking about it. If I can come up with an available kit, I'll let you know.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The .20 Sportster is an excellent engine for a just-flying-around old timer. I had a lot of fun with one on a Simplex, spinning a 12 X 6 at about 5500 rpm. Very, very quiet, tick over idle, great fuel mileage.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 AM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another plane might be the Great Planes Taylorcraft kit.. The K&B 20 has pretty good
power and it shold fly it well. I see the SS 20 kits on ebay occasionally but they are
getting rare.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:13 PM
AVGJohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Had one on both a Goldberg Eaglet 50 and Great Planes PT 20. Flew both very well.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
impalas
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Eniac I just noticed that there are several Carl Goldberg kits for auction on ebay ( Jr. Falcon and and Eaglet 50) Just punch in Carl Goldberg and they will come up along with other Carl Goldberg items

Good Luck--------impalas
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
buzzard bait

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check out RCM plans. The "New Era," "RCM Basic Bipe," and "Miss Bikini" come to mind but there are lots of others. The ones mentioned are an early mini pattern plane, funky little biplane, and attractive low wing sportster, respectively.

Jim
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bridi Aircruiser 20, I believe there is a website bridiairplanes.com or something.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:45 AM
ginsco75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second the "Miss Bikini" from RCM plans. Its a neat little plane. I just recieved my plans and if big brown truck brings my wood today I will be building tonight.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 PM
trekfish2003

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just purchased a Goldenberg Eaglet 50 kit. According to the box, it requires a .09 - .25 engine. This should fit your K&B 20 sportster needs if you are interested.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
icegs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My vote is for the Great Planes Taylorcraft too. It's a fair size for a .20, but it should fly great. I had a Magnum 30 four stroke that moved it along nicely; I'd expect similar performance from your engine.

I'm about to start working on a Mister Mulligan of about the same size from Model Airplane News plans. I'm just waiting on the plans to arrive.