Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Four-Star 40 canopy question.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Four-Star 40 canopy question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
DaveCFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four-Star 40 canopy question.

Last Saturday I maidened my Four-Star that I spent the winter building. I have never flown a Four-Star before. What a great flying airplane!!! I have a Super Tigre 45 engine in it and it has TONS of power. This thing screams! Anyway after flying it Saturday and Sunday I noticed that the canopy is coming loose. I attached it as the instructions said, with 1/4 inch pinstriping tape. The tape is not coming loose but instead it split right where the front of the canopy joins the fuse. I certainly can re-tape it but I think it will just split again. Does anybody have recommendations about fastening the canopy? I don't think glue would work because there is such little surface contact.
Any help would be appreciated.

DaveCFI
Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Four-Star 40 canopy question.

You will almost have to get some glue in there. You can use the canopy glues or I use alot of epoxy to glue mine on. CA will cloud up the clear plastic so stay away from that. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-15-2007, 08:36 AM
rlarkin70
My Feedback: (1)

On my 4*60 I used some small screws to hold the canopy in place, along with a bead of canopy glue. Works great!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Thumprding

This method works very well and I have used it before. What I have also found helps is to install a canopy plate if the plane does not have one. To me this is a 3/16" thick piece of balsa that is the size and shape of the canopy that is glued to the wing. The canopy fits around it. If you make a line on the canopy the height of the plate and then use 150 grit paper and scuff it you can use black RTV to glue it to the plate. Combine that with small screws and a 1/4" wide strip of electrical tape I have found the canopy stays on pretty good.

Yes CA will fog the canopy, but Gorilla glue won't and a light coat works pretty good at sealing the tape / pinstripe.

ORIGINAL: rlarkin70

On my 4*60 I used some small screws to hold the canopy in place, along with a bead of canopy glue. Works great!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:12 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

I used Formula 560 Canopy glue on my Venture 60. Worked well. Use a heavy bead. It takes several days to dry clear.... invisable when it dries. Tape it down while drying