Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Any info on Hobby-Lobby/Thunder Tiger .10 retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Any info on Hobby-Lobby/Thunder Tiger .10 retracts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:51 AM
DaveInLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on Hobby-Lobby/Thunder Tiger .10 retracts

Hi, I'm hoping to get my hands on the OK Model .10 EP Zero kit sometime in the future, for which retracts are optional. To minimize "surgery", I figure it would be easiest to get a set backed by OK Model. From what I have read in the past, that is the Supra line of retracts. Anyway, on Hobby-Lobby's website, they offer "Superlite" retracts in the .10 size.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/retracts.htm

However, if you look at the picture, they read "OK Model". But if you look at H-L's product item number, it starts with TTR***, which suggests it's the Thunder Tiger brand (Hobby-Lobby codes their products like that). I read somewhere that Thunder Tiger bought the Supra retracts mold. But I've also heard that these retracts are the same as the Great Planes .10 retracts (sold at Tower for about half the price of these!). Anybody know if these are what I'm looking for, or should I go in the direction of Great Planes? Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Any info on Hobby-Lobby/Thunder Tiger .10 retracts

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

In a model that light, I don't think the manufacturer of the retract is all that important or the differences that substantial.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
DaveInLA

Yeah, but I want to minimize carving and sanding of the wood to get an "aftermarket" set to fit. [&:]
Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time you put retracts in a plane, and it doesn't matter what the size of the plane or retracts are, or if they're mechanical or pneumatic, there will be a fair amount of work required to fit them and get them operation properly. That means lots of modificaiton to the structure to accomodate them. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit negative, but that is part of the extra work to add retracts. I personally don't mind the extra work involved since I like the looks of a plane with no LG hanging out not to mention on some planes the performance bonus.

Hogflyer
Old 03-27-2007, 02:46 PM
DaveInLA

Thanks for the info. I expected some work, but I was hoping that retracts made by OK Model would fit in a bit smoother in an OK Model plane.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

Hi, The HL retracts are made by OK-Models for Thunder Tiger. They are very nice little retracts. I have been using them for years. I also have the .10 size OK Pilot Zero to be built one day. I also have some of the older OK Models Supra retracts. They are the retracts that everyone tried to copy over the years. The .10 size TT fit the Zero perfectly. Like I said, the box they come in says TT
(Thunder Tiger) but the retracts say and are made by OK Models.

Scott
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

eHobbies.com has the Thunder Tiger TTR3005 .10-size retracts for $24.99:

http://www.ehobbies.com/ttr3005.html

With the GP retracts available from Tower for $12.99, you might want to give them a shot, but then again you might not care about saving $12 and you'd rather have the Thunder Tigers. Your call.