Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kadet Senior Questions

Old 04-02-2007, 08:10 PM
stuplydude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sig Kadet Senior Questions

I am getting ready to build a Sig Kadet Senior,I want to builde this one with ailerons. I have read that reducing the diherdal will help,flaps shouldn't be neccessary,or should I add them anyway? I also want to make this a taildragger, so where should the landing dear go, as far as the axle in relatiion the the leading edge of the wing, or is this dependent on the center of gravity?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I

You want the gear fairly forward of the c/g; otherwise it will be very prone to nose-overs. Somewhere even with or slightly ahead of the wing's leading edge is about right.

Definitely take out most of the dihedral; with ailerons you won't need it, and it will be a bit more agile in the air. Flaps are totally uncessary; that being said, go for it. You could make the big barn doors like the ARF has, and make flaperons, by programming the radio to make them act as both ailerons and flaps.

I also have a Senior that I want to bash like this. I plan on making small ailerons, about 8 inches long but as deep as the ARF's barn doors, and then making the remainder of the span back to the roots as flaps, but not quite as deep. I'm also thinking about making slats (leading edge flaps) and having a super-high lift wing, and make a STOL like a Helio Courier. I'm putting a tow release and bomb bay on it also.

Don't know when it'll get done, too many planes to build, not enough time.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sig Kadet Senior Questions

Cut the dihedral in half, leave the flaps off, and put the landing gear axle even with the leading edge of the wing.

Dr.1
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 AM
AVGJohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My wheels are mounted so the axel is about even with the front edge of the front side window. I made the ailerons 1 1/2" wide and for length I came in from the wingtip to the seventh rib from the tip. I have about 1" dihedral in each wing. I've had this plane 8 years and still look forward to flying it often. Makes a great buddy box plane. I built flaps on mine and have never used them on landing. If the grass is tall and wet I lower the flaps and it jumps in the sky on takeoff. I also like the get up high, retrim the plane with the flaps down, throttle down and float around looking for thermals.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM
heli_Rod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Flaps aren't really needed, but they add another dimension of FUN! I have them on my Kadet...and a bomb drop mechinism....just for fun!

Less dihedral and ailerons will make it more responsive and more managable in wind.

Rod.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:46 PM
stuplydude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have cut the ailerons out of the wings,I started three ribs from the center, and two from the wing tips. This made the twenty-six inches long and three and a half wide. This made them ninety and three quarter square inches wich is about seventeen percent of the wing area. I also sheeted them as they seemed kind of flimsy. I working on mounting the servo next, wich seems pretty straight forward, the only tricky part will be drilling the hole for the servo wire. I will have to go through six ribs. I should have drilled the holes before I built the wing.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Jigley3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi... "I should have drilled the holes before I built the wing."...not to worry a single hole paper punch will do the job just fine... bert

"
Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used a piece of 1/2 inch brass tube and sharpened the end. Mark the location of the hole in each rib and put the brass in an electric drill. Just do not press hard and the wing ribs will drill very well with no breaking or splintering of the wood. You almost need this size minimun and it will not significantly weaken the rib. Just my 02!
JEB