Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

sig kougar or TF contender

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

sig kougar or TF contender

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 01:13 AM
darkmask25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig kougar or TF contender

Does anyone own this kit?
I was looking at getting one. Does it use dual aileron servos? modify for flaps? flight characteristics?

Please let me know... I'm also looking at the TF contender versus the kougar. What do you think?
Old 02-18-2002, 03:32 AM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

Default Sig Kougar

I have a Sig Kougar that I fly regularly. It has foam core wings
so you would have to cut a relief in the foam to install 2 servos
and run a chanel for the wires. It is designed for one servo with torque rods and it works well as mine is set up that way.
It flies really well and is very forgiving but can go like stink
if you want it to but also slows down just fine. A pretty easy
build with lots of possibilities.
I have not owned or built the Contender but it should be a
good flyer also.

Sam
Old 02-18-2002, 09:21 AM
AndySteere
My Feedback: (2)

They are two very different airplanes. The Kougar is a "prop-jet" kind of a plane with swept wings, sleek and designed to go pretty fast. The contender has a thicker straight wing with no dihedral, almost like a funfly wing, but with different wingtips. It does better slow (likes inverted flight best of all).

I have a few pictures of my contender here:

http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/contender/

I have a video clip of a fellow club-member's kougar in flight in my Taylor2001 section under "MMRCA Member's Aircraft":

http://astro.umsystem.edu/mmrca/Taylor2001/

Andy Steere
http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3270_1112.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2896  
Old 02-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Steve Campbell2

Agreed; they are two completely different models. Both are "early technology kits"; IOW, somewhat of a PITA to build by today's extensive pre-fabrication standards. Plus, the Kougar has a plastic cowl and turtle deck that will need painting. The Contender is all wood, but the shape of the wood cowl makes for an interesting time covering it. Each has it's good points and bad.

The Kougar is a very nice airplane, but not nearly as versatile as the Contender. That central flap on the Contender makes an entirely different animal out of it. You can fly a Contender pattern-like, or kick up the throws, use the flap, and make a fun-fly model out of it. My main flying buddy has one, and we play with it quite a lot. I liked it so much I'm building one right now.

Along with the Super Kaos, I think the Kougar and Contender are among the best all-around "sport planes" anyone could ask for. I've built a couple of Four-Stars, and a SIG Somethin' Extra. Great models, but I keep coming back to the trike gear. All three of these are timeless classics, and the only reason I haven't built a Kougar yet is because my trusty old 40 Super Kaos flies about the same as a Kougar would. I probably will build a Kougar when the Kaos dies, since I don't like the mods The Evil Empire made when they re-issued their kit of the Kaos. And from what I'm hearing, they did a real cheesy job on the ARF Kaos 40, too. That's a shame.

But I'm really looking forward to getting this Contender up. I'm putting a 70 Surpass in it, so she should be quite lively. My pal has an OS .46FX in his, and it is plenty. I was going to put a 60 two-stroke in mine, but I've developed a resurgence of interest in four-bangers.

A Kougar with a YS 63...hmmmmm.<G>

Steve
Old 02-20-2002, 01:26 PM
aaa-RCU

Default Contender

Never owned a Sig, but I have a Contender with a OS 46FX and this plane is a lot of fun. This plane will fly fast or very slow, the choice is yours. It tracks through manouvers flawlessly.

Lost my muffler bolt the other day, too much speed.

Name:	3441_50.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2897  
Old 02-21-2002, 12:47 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Contender

I flew one of the originals. I found that if you hit rudder in straight and level flight, the nose headed to the ground. No dihedral = strong rudder coupling. I thought it was a terrible design!

RCPAUL
Old 02-21-2002, 01:40 AM
AndySteere

The newer version of the Contender includes a wingtip modification that will correct the roll-coupling. I didn't like the looks of it and tried another suggestion that didn't work (modify the size and shape of the rudder).

Even so, it was easy to dial out with a little aileron-to-rudder mixing on my computer radio. Flies nice... even overweight as mine is.

Andy Steere
http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/

Name:	3474_1112.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	2898  
Old 02-22-2002, 04:18 PM
shoom

smart plane andy!
Old 02-22-2002, 04:52 PM
AndySteere

Thanks!

I doubt if I will ever do a whole plane in Chrome Ultracote again though. What a pain. The bottom is done in 1" yellow and black squares Ultracote. That is great stuff, though I wish H9 carried the 2" version.

Andy

Name:	3606_1112.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2899  
Old 08-06-2002, 02:21 AM
bullfrog

I loved my contender, fast and predictable!! Lost it to a servo screw, can't wait to build another one. Nice job andy