Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP .40 Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP .40 Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:03 PM
manks7477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP .40 Corsair

I have a .40 size Corsair, and am thinking about dropping an OS .61 2 stroke in it, does anyone think this is just too much power for this plane? I know it will be a bit nose heavy, but that can be fixed easy enough. I did not build flaps on this plane and I am a bit concerned that it will not be able to handle that much power.

Thoughts?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 PM
MP3_tilaco

Default RE: GP .40 Corsair

Yes, is too much, in my plane I used Surpass 70, It's fling well.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:57 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has a 46 on it and it is to much power for the plane. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-14-2007, 12:20 PM
waterloged

you should be fine, i allways use the biggest engine i can fit in, JUST remember you have a throttle so THROTTLE DOWN then when you need it you got it. you could reinforce the firewall to be safe.....[sm=wink_smile.gif] I do run big engines, i have a 4s 91 maginum on my telemaster sr. and if i hammer it on take off i only need about 4-6 feet and it goes almost straight up I do outside loops and and in side loops, tail slides. almost anything the telemaster sr should not be able to do i do have to really get my idle speed down or i end up forcing it to the ground or water. have a nice day I am also running a 61 2x on a 40 made plane..
Old 04-14-2007, 08:55 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Why yes you can add all the power that you want to to a plane. I have the Great Planes Corsair and I can fit an OS 90 in it and it will scream. The point is weather the plane has been built and is stressed for the extra power and manuvers that you have mentioned. Being able to take a plane off in 4 to 6 feet is impressive, but one of these days you may apply the power and find that the plane is still on the runway and the motor and firewall have departed. To me, unless the plane is built for it, going over the recomended engine size is asking for trouble at some point in time. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
manks7477

Dave,

I have a couple of options, I could go up to the .61 engine, or drop down to nice little OS .30, but fear that would not be enough power.

What are your thoughts on a .30 for this plane.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: manks7477
Dave,
I have a couple of options, I could go up to the .61 engine, or drop down to nice little OS .30, but fear that would not be enough power.
If those are the engines you have, and you can't buy a new engine at this time, I think you should go with the .61 and be careful about using full power. GP estimates the final weight to be 6 pounds. Even though the plane is not "scale" I've been told it does need to fly faster than something like a Four Star. I think a .30 would have a hard time pulling it around. I'm currently building this kit and will be using the .70 four stroke that was on my Astro Hog (lost due to elevator flutter).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
manks7477

ORIGINAL: carrellh

ORIGINAL: manks7477
Dave,
If those are the engines you have, and you can't buy a new engine at this time, I think you should go with the .61 and be careful about using full power. GP estimates the final weight to be 6 pounds. Even though the plane is not "scale" I've been told it does need to fly faster than something like a Four Star. I think a .30 would have a hard time pulling it around. I'm currently building this kit and will be using the .70 four stroke that was on my Astro Hog (lost due to elevator flutter).
I have a bunch of engines lying around, and had hoped to use one for the Corsair later this year. I just have more working motors than planes right now and thought it might be fun to fly the Corsair with out a big extra cost.

I think I will play around with the planes, maybe putting the .30 into a .40 Size Cub I have, that should give pretty scale flight. Eventually I will move the OS .46 FX from my primary trainer to the Corsair.

I am not concerned about costs, but buying another motor (or worse another plane) may put my wife on the warpath.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:01 PM
alfredbmor

Where I live, 4,000 ft above sea level we must overpower our planes, I had the same plane and I miss it a lot, I lost it on its maiden flight because I forgot to uncoil the reciver antenna, so stupid, but I was to ansious to get to the field and been there I just wanted to fly my newest built. I will buil the same plane maybe the next year, I have to manage my time to end with two more projects before building a new corsair. I powered mine with a very powerful K&B .65 Sportster using a 12 x 6 prop. It really flew very well until I lost contact. I really recommend this combo or something like this. Here is a photo of mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11651.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	671380  
Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Prop selection!!!!!! That plane will fly well with A 61 in it and have A lot of O-S factor in reserve for those times you need it.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

If you will pin the firewall and add the tri stock around the inside of it ,there should not be any problems using the larger engine, Except Speed will be a large factor. Depending on what prop you use it may be hard to get down to land W/O killing the engine. I built one of these planes a few years back and used a 46 SF in it and it was a bullet.
I'm at almost 5 K feet here and always go to the higher side of the engines and more at times, just depends on the plane.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM
oceansfiftyseven

I have a Saito .56 in mine and it flies it pretty good. The engine weighs 16 oz and I had to add 8 oz of fishing weights in the cowl to balance her. Total weight is just under 6 lbs. A .61 would fit fine and I am sure the plane can handle the power if it is built well. I covered mine in insignia blue and I am glad it does not have alot of power because it just turns into a dark blob in the sky once it gets more than a couple hundred feet away. With the big soda pop bottle cowl and the built in washout she slows down and lands very easy. I usually have give her a little power to keep her from bouncing. I origionally had a .46 on it and it just seemed all wrong. With all that said...I would not want a .61 on mine. Too much power and noise for this plane in my opinion. http://youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZFK-N44M4