Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale sopwith pup kit covering problem

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/4 scale sopwith pup kit covering problem

Old 02-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Eindecker-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale sopwith pup kit covering problem

Hi

I have a 1/4 scale sopwith pup,by mick reeves,the l/e and t/e are glassfibre rod l/e with 16 swg wire rod t/e,the problem i have ,is how do you apply the covering,which will be solartex,how do you go about it?as i have never come across a wire t/e,not much to stick too!!
Can anyone tell me the method to use please
Cheers

Eindecker
Old 02-20-2003, 09:45 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

You can do this by using a liquid brushed onto the metal edge. Such as Balsarite or even Nitrate Dope, Sig has this, or Stixit also by Sig.

What you want to do is just stick the bottom layer so that it holds to the metal edge. You then wrap the top of the wing around and past the metal edge about 1/8 inch onto the bottom of the wing. This should give you a total surface area of about 1/4 inch of Solartex on top of Solartex covering. Don't try to shrink the bottom surface until you have the top surface overlapped. At this point you can shrink the whole wing. Remember to give your wing a way to vent out the excess air, small pen hole, from wing tip to wing root is all you need.

Hope this helps.

tonyc
Old 02-21-2003, 05:16 AM
rsabast

I was looking at a set of 1 1/2 Strutter plans by Reeves just tonight, and thinking the same thing.

I would also use brush-on glue, but trying to make a seam at the back on the wire I think would be almost impossible, especially once you tried to shrink the fabric. I'd tack the fabric on the leading edge, go 'round the trailing edge and only have one seam back at the leading edge. Since all those Sopwith and most WW I wings are constant-chord, that should not be a problem.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Eindecker-RCU

Thanks guys,

That looks the way to go about it,i expect others might have other suggestions,but it looks right to me!!,i have also noticed that fabric tape is used to go over t/e,l/e, so with strips of solartex glued down over seams,that should hold everthing togeather,and prevent it coming apart!!!.
Rib stiching is shown,any methods for that?

Cheers
Eindecker
Old 02-21-2003, 04:16 PM
rptrsn
My Feedback: (1)

I used this method for stitching and it worked out real good. I used Solartex for the tape as suggested, and although not "scale" it is easy and works well. The impression of stitching when finish is applied makes a lot of difference and is worth the time. http://www.glue-it.com/aircraft/gene...stitching.html
Old 02-21-2003, 05:33 PM
rsabast

Eindekker -

For scale planes of 1/5 scale or larger I have been using the pink hairsetting tape with good success. The surface finish is a little 'bumpy' - but a couple coats of nitrate dope with light sanding between coats fills it in nicely and looks right.

I think the British WWI planes of that era used tapes with frayed edges - cut from fabric with the long direction threads pulled out - like a rug with a open yarn end. For super-scale, you could do this, but I think it would be a real challenge. I have also used strips of tracing paper or silkspan tissue, cut with the serrated cutter from a Saran or foil wrap box. Mount the cutter on a stick of wood and pull the paper up - making finely pinked edges. Those smaller pinks look more scale, even on 1/4 scale planes. I dampen the tissue before doping in place - makes it snug down over the stiches better.

In the past I've had good luck with two methods for making stiches. You can apply small stiches of RC-56 or yellow glue with a syringe. I use a flexible ruler and mark the locations on each rib with a pencil, then apply the little dashes of glue. The hairsetting tape goes over that.

For undercambered ribs I have used a long needle and heavy thread and actually stiched the fabric to the wing rib. Down through the top and up from the bottom. A dot of thin CA locks the stiches and knots in place. Again, I use a ruler to mark off where I want them.

I agree with mudpup, it does look good when done.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Reg Hinnant
My Feedback: (9)

Eindekker, I too am building the MR 1/4 Pup.
Coating the wire and then putting the Solartex around and over its self by 1/8 ". Then when you apply the upper Solartex wrap it around to overlap 1/8". That way you are adhearing the Solartex to its self. And yes, you will be adding another trim strip to the edges that will over lap both seams, as per the full size practice.
The rib stitch tapes should be torn for scale fidelity. You can tear Solartex by nicking one edge with sissors then tearing a strip off. It takes a little practice but can be done and looks correct.
What version are you building? I'm doing a RNAS 9901a version.
Got any pictures?
Reg Hinnant
Old 03-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Eindecker111

Reg,

Thanks for the feed back,i understand what you mean,but until i come to the covering stage,i shall try afew tests,just to test out the theory!!!.
Heres something else ,on the tailplane/rudder,is it just one single rib wire,or is there another one underneath?to form rib outline, or are they just used as spacers,but allowing the covering to form aerofoil,hope that makes sense!!
How far in construction are you,me ,i have a model to finish,then i can make a start!!

Eindecker
Old 03-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Hurri

Hi , you live over 'ome so why not give Mick Reeves a call , I have found him a very helpful guy . AL
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
avionette

Default RE: 1/4 scale sopwith pup kit covering problem

hi
is possible use monokote from top flite than solartex?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:46 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: 1/4 scale sopwith pup kit covering problem

If you use monocote, or any other film on a WWI plane, a terrible curse will befall you and all that are associated with you. It will be too awfull to even think about! It would be beyond description. But, on the other hand, you could use it and just have an awfull looking airplane.