Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

I Gotta spend some money

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

I Gotta spend some money

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:52 AM
cvedral

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Gotta spend some money

I need a engine and radio for the Balsa USA Phaeton II i built. Where and which to buy?
Pretty much decieded on a 91 four stroke OS or Saito, I have a $30 off for Tower Hobbies brings the price down to $219. Do I need a fuel pump motor? Newbie at this so why do they list
the engines with and without fuel pumps?
Also a radio. Have intended to buy the spektrum dx7. I can find them on ebay for $349 shipping included, Local hobbie shop is out of them and has been saying they are coming in for some time so ebay it is unless someone has a suggestion.
Thanks, Charlie
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I Gotta spend some money

No doubt about it - OS 91Surpass - It's the best 4-stroke ever made (With the possible exception of the OS 70 Surpass)
Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend is using a Mag. 91 fs that does very well in this application. You do not need a pump or any exotic fuel system it the tank outlet is centered on the carb. This plane usually needs additional nose weight so build accordingly. Look toward a 90 deg. mount on the engine, as it will always clear it's self from flooding and be easy to tune.
I have the kit myself along with a near new TT 91 fs for it. Next winters build as I am just fininshing up on what I have been doing over the past winter.
A really nice plane that is fun to fly and will benifit with ailirons on both wings and properly dialing in the control surfaces. There are posts here on RCU about this plane and you could gain a lot by reading them before starting.
Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if it Tower you're going to, then its OS. I have both the OS and Saito. Most of my 4 strokes are Saito and I love them, but I gotta agree that the OS is a really nice little engine. Mine doesnt have a pump (none of my 4 strokes do) and is mounted inverted with no problems running. You just have to tune it inverted and make sure the center of the fuel tank is no lower than about 3/8" below the spray bar in the carb. Tower also sells 90deg exhaust manifold parts for more muffler routing flexability.
Edwin
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like both the saito and the OS four strokes but being me I love the YS but can't afford to have many of them so I have mostly OS. If I was buying my first one I would get the pumped engine. I got tired of always trying to get the fuel tank just right in every model. When you get the pump the engine doesn't care where the tank is so life becomes that much easier. I like to place my tanks centered over the CG so you can see the problems without the pump.
I had my unpumped OS 70 inverted, no glow driver and the tank wasn't perfect {close} but in years of flying I never had A dead stick with it. Edwin brought up the best point, they have to be tuned correctly and they will just keep on ticking and you can mount them anyway you like.