Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Senior Telemaster Wings

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Senior Telemaster Wings

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Senior Telemaster Wings

I've been slowly working on a partially assembled and damaged kit and have reinforced the fuse with some spruce sticks,plywood and moved the servos toward the tail.I also shortened the wingspan to 84" and a two piece wing with the aluminum wing joiner fron Sig.I'm using dowels to hold the wings on the LE and Dubro nylon wing mounting kit for the TE.I've added about 35 square inches to the rudder.Hope I didn't go overboard on that. I took the dihedral down to about 1" on each side of the wing when on a flat surface. I'm going to sheet the LE and TE of the wings and put the aileron servos outboard.I've been building according to some of the mods you guys have been doing to the Telemaster and now I need to know how far outboard to put the aileron servos from the wing tip or from the fuse.Any help appreciated.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Senior Telemaster Wings

I opted to keep a standard one piece wing but I did cut the dihedral in half. No extra sheeting but I did switch over to bolt down wings. I don't understand why they haven't done that at kit level.

I mounted my aileron servos inside the wing with just the arm extending out. It seemed to me that the best spot would be centered on the aileron and I mounted the servo as close to the pivot as I could and still stay inside the wing. I also added one extra hinge per aileron.

You didn't mention it but I think you should add wing struts as well (especially with a two piece wing). I am using the same design that was used on my Sig 1/5 scale Cub. A lot of Telemasters use a single strut (if any at all) but I believe the Cub's two struts design will help curtail wing warp under stress.

The Telemaster just seems to invite mods. Maybe there should be a prize given to the first stock built kit found (:-).

Old 04-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you use the original aileron torque rods that came with the kit or a different setup and did you use standard servos or low profile aileron ones?I have S3003s that came with the radio.Did you make wood servo mounts or use plastic ones that are available?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my usual HiTec 425BB servos and a custom formed linkage (it only needs about 4 inches or so). I chose the rib bay closest to the aileron center and doubled those ribs (from the main spar to the trailing edge). I then created a removable plywood hatch that also serves as a servo mount. This is accomplished by gluing two pieces of hardwood to the plywood hatch. In the end (unlike some ARFs I've seen) you are left with servos inside the wing and completely out of sight.

(What I like about using individual servos for the ailerons is the flexibility to use flaperons).