Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kougar Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kougar Build

Old 09-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Kougar does not come with a set of plans except for that which is printed directly on the wood itself. Now the King Kobra is basically a 60 size version of the Kougar and has an airfoil shaped horizontal stab to boot. Might be a better place to start from for an 80 inch WS blow up. Afraid my Kougar plans are on the inside of my already built kit.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Hi, I have a NIB Kougar. If I can find it in storage, I will, at least, scan the airfoil for you. If I can I will scan the plans also, but, I think some of the parts are on printwood.

Sincerely, Richard
Thanks Richard, appreciate your willingness to help.

Originally Posted by Weasel Keeper
The Kougar does not come with a set of plans except for that which is printed directly on the wood itself. Now the King Kobra is basically a 60 size version of the Kougar and has an airfoil shaped horizontal stab to boot. Might be a better place to start from for an 80 inch WS blow up. Afraid my Kougar plans are on the inside of my already built kit.
Thanks for the info Weasel Keeper. All I'm really after is a 3-view of the airplane and a copy of the airfoil. I will design the structure to suit and this will not be a simple enlargement of the Sig design in that sense. I can generate my own outlnes and airfoil if necessary but it would simplify things a bit to have that information provided. I abhor flat plate tail surfaces and my design (assuming I go forward with it) will most definitely make use of airfoils on the vertical and horizontal stabs.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything comes of plans / drawings please put me on the list! Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
790 (08-19-2020)
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Chad Veich

Originally Posted by Couch-pilot
If anything comes of plans / drawings please put me on the list! Thanks!!
I will post it here if anything interesting happens Couch. Thanks for your interest!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 PM
guitarsbanjo

okay, I thought about tackling this project a few years ago. Only was going to make it smaller for a .25 size engine. I know there is a Kobra, but it is different, and so is the King Kobra. The wing is shaped different, the body is shaped slightly different. To me the Kougar looks better, if I could find the plans for the Kobra I'd take that and build one. Buy anyway, here's what I've collected.

The first one is a Kougar, and the 2 and 3rd picture come from the manual, it has more, and you could do a pretty respectable job with that. you can find that here.
http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC35Kougar.html
The side view is I think a Kougar? I think it is from the manual too, but id doesn't look like My Kougar. Mine the line under the Canopy back to the horizontal is a straight line like in the first Pic. In fact, asside from some work on the nose, and the plastic on top, the bod is basically a Stick type turned upside down. And the last is a top view of a Kougar, I may have got that one from the sig manual also now, I don't remember. Definitely enough here to build a "Kougar" of your own if you can fill in the missing parts.

Austin

Edit. That last top view is from the King Kobra instructions. That's interesting, it looks the same as the Kougar except it is more tapered. The Kobra wing is different because it has less sweep on the leading edge, but the trailing edge is tapered forward. So all three have a little different wing design. The Kobra and King Kobra look pretty much the same in profile. One reason I'd like to scratch build is I don't get along very well with the plastic top piece. I have a HOB P51 I built years ago and never finished because I could figure out how I would cover the body. Can't cover the plastic with monokote, and finding fuel proof paint that won't eat the plastic is a little difficult too. The Kougar I had was built by someone else, and was very nicely done. They covered the entire body with tissue so you could not see a seam were the top met the body. Lost it to a failed aileron servo, stopped moving with left aileron input. I actually managed to fight it back and got it lined up with the runway, but it snap rolled while on approach due to low speed, a little up elevator, and a lot of left aileron. Really liked the way it flew. I liked it better than my Kaos that I bought to replace it, oh well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kougar.gif
Views:	2529
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	2036845   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGRC35P129.jpg
Views:	3419
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	2036846   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGRC35P130.jpg
Views:	2155
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2036847   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGRC54P194.jpg
Views:	2519
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	2036848   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIGRC54P197.jpg
Views:	2096
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	2036849  

Last edited by guitarsbanjo; 10-02-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Chad Veich

Thanks a bunch Austin! I had already found the side view in the Kougar manual but, as you noted, it has some disrepencies. Most likely I will use it for the basic proportions and then use good photographs to "tweak" it.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found my NIB Kougar II., first and only plane my wife bought me, back in the mid eighties. With a new K&B 40. It has never been pout of the box, just looked at in it. Before I take it out of the box that I will never be able to get it back in, what do you all need scanned? I only have a letter size flat scanner, but I could do bigger pieces in sections with align marks added. Building season is coming, let me know your needs. Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Couch-pilot

Richard, you JUST became everyone's new best friend...

Scans of the plans sheet would be awesome! Even letter sized there has to be someone on here with the skills to stitch them together.

Really miss these old Sig kits...
Old 10-11-2014, 01:26 PM
spaceworm

Will do. However, GUITARSBANJO in post 530 referenced the build manual http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC35Kougar.html that shows most of the needed shapes: the fuse sides, firewall, bulkhead, and tail sections, as well as the airfoil. i will check the manual and see what is not shown in it and scan the missing parts.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Chad Veich

I have found my NIB Kougar II., first and only plane my wife bought me, back in the mid eighties. With a new K&B 40. It has never been pout of the box, just looked at in it. Before I take it out of the box that I will never be able to get it back in, what do you all need scanned? I only have a letter size flat scanner, but I could do bigger pieces in sections with align marks added. Building season is coming, let me know your needs. Sincerely, Richard

I too would like to have the side and top views of the fuselage plan sheet. The stuff guitarsbanjo posted is OK but none of the full side views shown are really very accurate. I can stitch the files together if you do the scanning. No big deal if you prefer not to bother though, I understand.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
I too would like to have the side and top views of the fuselage plan sheet. The stuff guitarsbanjo posted is OK but none of the full side views shown are really very accurate. I can stitch the files together if you do the scanning. No big deal if you prefer not to bother though, I understand.

Ok, finally found time to look further into the Kougar parts and plans. The fuse and tail parts are printed on the balsa and need to be cut out. There are no plans per se. The plane is built on the parts after they are cut out. The balsa sheets from which the parts are cut are too long from my scanner. I need to transfer the images of the fuse sides and top in thje build manual to a CAD program and render them full size. The same with the tail parts.

However, I scanned the actual plywood formers and have included them here for starts. For reference the firewall is 4-1/4 inches high by 3-1/8 inches wide, to check against the printout from the image.

I will continue to try to scan the actual parts and/or render the manual parts in full size printable images.

Name:	Kougar formers 001.jpg
Views:	2051
Size:	771.6 KB
ID:	2042741  
Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM
spaceworm

This is the best I can do with the resources at my disposal right now. It is shot with a Canon Digital camera, trying to keep the camera square to the balsa sheets. It would be best to print out the manual sheets full size (they are 1/2 size in the manual) and compare the image resulting from this photo. Good luck. I will keep on trying to get a better image of the actual pieces. Sincerely, Richard

Name:	IMG_4015 cropped Kougar fuse and tail.jpg
Views:	2167
Size:	560.7 KB
ID:	2043089  
Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Couch-pilot

Richard, that is awesome...

One question - what is the measurement horizontally (point-to-point) across part S-2 on the sheets in inches? This would make it possible to scale the sheets full size with a mouse click.

Last edited by Couch-pilot; 10-29-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Couch-pilot
Richard, that is awesome...

One question - what is the measurement horizontally (point-to-point) across part S-2 on the sheets in inches? This would make it possible to scale the sheets full size with a mouse click.
Ah yes, I realized that omission after I posted. The span of the S2 part is 21-1/4 inches. Each of the balsa planks that the parts are printed on is 3 inches by 36 inches. (Nice when dimensions were based in inches instead of centimeters.)

If anyone needs measurements of other build parts, just let me know. Sincerely, Richard
Old 11-13-2014, 07:30 AM
mmarion

HI .. I am getting a "new" kit from a friend and wishes to finish it with the Snowbirds markings .. Q1 Where did you get the markings? Q2 Do you have retracts on it ... if so which brand type?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:51 PM
sanjayrai55

Ah yes, I realized that omission after I posted. The span of the S2 part is 21-1/4 inches. Each of the balsa planks that the parts are printed on is 3 inches by 36 inches. (Nice when dimensions were based in inches instead of centimeters.)

If anyone needs measurements of other build parts, just let me know. Sincerely, Richard
Richard, could you please give the dimensions of the vertical stab?
Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 AM
sanjayrai55

Originally Posted by sanjayrai55
Richard, could you please give the dimensions of the vertical stab?
Sorry, it's OK. I can get it from the picture of the 1/4"balsa sheet
Old 10-22-2018, 11:14 PM
sanjayrai55

Can anyone please tell me the width of the elevator?

I'm making a scratch build of the Kougar, and I lack this dimension
Old 10-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by sanjayrai55
Can anyone please tell me the width of the elevator?

I'm making a scratch build of the Kougar, and I lack this dimension
2 inches!
Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 PM
sanjayrai55

Thanks very much, Weasel Keeper!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:50 PM
sanjayrai55

Thanks so much spaceworm and Weasel Keeper

I built, with a corro/ply fuse, balsa tail feathers, and foam core balsa sheeted wing

I crashed on the maiden! I had a defective aileron servo, and the aileron started going crazy after a smooth take-off
Repaired her up, and she's really one sweet flying bird
Old 08-02-2019, 10:58 PM
sanjayrai55

I ordered the 3 plastic parts, and the Decals from Sig. Rest I managed - made a hot wire cutter (used it in the Sig 4 Star 40 too, where I made a foam wing and Corro fuse again), used some 4 mm spring steel for Landing Gear
Old 08-02-2019, 11:18 PM
sanjayrai55

Used an OS 46
Old 08-02-2019, 11:19 PM
sanjayrai55

Used an OS 46, and it worked just fine. More than adequate power with an 11*6 MAS prop
Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 PM
sanjayrai55

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.