Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building Curve

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building Curve

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Azcat59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building Curve

I "hit the wall" on most of the planes I build. I like to frame them up, but don't like the inside "no art content" type of stuff like gas tank mounts, servo mounts and pushrods, etc. so I do that stuff as early on as possible. And I totally agree with G.F. Reid on making a "To Do" list.....one reason is to think out remaining tasks so as to do them in the most efficient order, and the other is as said above, do one small thing every day and eventually you will have an airplane. Like the story of "How do you eat an elephant?" Ans: "One bite at a time."

I am currently on a Goldberg Ultimate Bipe, my second one in thirteen years, gave the first away to my son-in-law. I have to build the wheel pants (I make them of blue foam and glass, then melt out the foam) and then all framing is done, and my energy for the project is a little low. I find that the best airplanes are always the last one you just finished, and the next one you plan to build! And I have a hard and fast rule that I have observed for many years of building, I never allow myself to start another plane until the one I have in process is totally done. That in itself is a motivation to get going and finish the current project up!

I usually blow a couple of weeks admiring the framed-up airframe, all assembled and sitting proudly on my bench, while I day-dream about the color schemes I may use. They look so good "in the bones" that I hate to take them apart and start the covering!

Good luck on working through your building slow-down, you will have a very good bipe when the Ultimate is finished.

Clair
Old 05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
skull1971

Holy Cow,,, Just get to work already, I wanna see some pic's, then I wanna see some with progress!!! LOL
Old 05-11-2007, 12:35 PM
meaden

Here are some pics of where I am with them. Painting the landing gear and putting the top decking on the Ultimate are next. An with the Zafiro installing the wing tube joiner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86508.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	682199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39706.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	682200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85491.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	682201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21761.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	682202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep87067.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	682203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri70118.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	682204  
Old 05-11-2007, 01:28 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Nice looking work you're doing there.
Last suggestion....Pick ONE of the planes, make the list and start checking items off of it. Commit to doing at least ONE of the things on the list every day. If you don't have much time, install a fuel tank or spray paint the landing gear. You get the idea.
Good luck. You'll get there.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:46 PM
skull1971

Very nice!!! before you know it you'll be telling us how they fly. BUT I pick one and finish it and then the other.