Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help with restoration.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help with restoration.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with restoration.

Hello, I am 36 years young and I got into R/C airplanes about a year and a half ago. Problem is I love classic/antique stuff. I have a handfull of old planes and I had one given to me recently that I would like to restore. I believe it is a Balsa USA Stick 40 Plus. See [link=https://www.balsastore.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=434]here[/link]. While this kit is still available I enjoy the challenge of a restoration. I received the plane missing the tail feathers. While I could scratch build a functional set easilly I would like to build them as originally designed if someone would be willing to send me a coppy of that portion of the plans.

The plane also came with a seemingly locked up OS .35 MAX-H but after dissasembling and 24 hours in a vat of carburetor dip I got it to free up. Gotta love crusty castor oil. I reassembled the engine and got it to run on the test stand. Well as is common with these old engines with strap on mufflers the muffler is missing. If anyone has the propper muffler for this engine I would be interested or if you have a complete engine and do not want to seperate. The plan is to restore the old bird and fly it as it was designed. I could easily modify this and instal a modern OS engine but I would like to maintain an old timer look.

I apreciate any help you guys can give me on this project.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17748.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	694438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84999.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	694439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50118.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	694440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56891.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	694441  
Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Flying Foot Doc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with restoration.

Hello, Good luck with your project. That is a Stick 40 Plus. I learned to fly on that plane & it was our club's loaner trainer. Hard to beat, it flew and taught me just fine. It fell by the wayside when the 'pretty' trainers started coming out. I think we had an old OS 40 FP on it. Sorry I don't have any parts, plans, or photos to share with you, just fond memories. You might get in touch with the Balsa USA folks, they are still making it, selling wood and are nice folks. Good Luck, Let us all know how it goes and how it flies! Doc
Old 05-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have 2 of these planes, one still only partially constructed. I will be glad to help you any way I can.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have anyway of scanning the plans with a proper scale so I can reproduce the tail feathers?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 AM
CliffordH
My Feedback: (9)

Mr67,

If you look on the Balsa USA site I think they list the stick plans for sale under 'kit plans' and it comes with the instruction manual so you would be ready to restore or build more.

Cliff
Old 05-31-2007, 02:31 PM
AERORICH73

Stang: I have a new one waiting for me to finish covering the wing. Send me your address, and I will send you a photo copy of my plans for the tail feathers.

[email protected]

Rich S.