Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Needing Inspiration!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Needing Inspiration!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
r2champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Inspiration!

I would like to thank everyone here on RCU for all of the information that everyone has shared. I have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge, and have benefitted greatly as a result.

Now to the point of my post, I am currently (or have been) building a Sig Hog Bipe which will house a Tower Hobbies .75 (screamer!) and an Extra 300 (40 sized). I have been working on the Hog Bipe since ~November and had a good start. I have the fuse completed ready to sand and cover, and 1 wing almost complete. However I haven't touched it in 4 months. The reason being I wanted to take the extra TLC on this plane and make it a beauty, so I moved to the Extra 300 thinking I could get it in the air quicker then finish the Hog Bipe. Well, I built the wing on this plane and haven't touched it in over 3 months. In the meantime I built my dad a Vintage Golberg P6-E which he had many years ago and sold. I found one on ebay and decided it would be his B-day gift (ready to fly now and wow its a beauty).

My problem now is that after finishing the P6-E, and regular maintanance on all of my flyable planes (also put together an ARF [:-]), I am having a hard time getting motivated to continue the 2 builds. I am extremely excited about both, I guess I have done so much building (for my standards) that maybe I am a bit burnt out? So I am asking you guys for some photos of Hog Bipes and possibly a story that will help me get going again! I can hear you now, "suck it up and build" and "you're doing too much at once...slow down". Well pour it on, I think I need to hear it from someone else rather than myself!

Is this a typical case of "I just can't get enough" burnout?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47832.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	698716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26853.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	698717  
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM
hrrcflyer

Default RE: Needing Inspiration!

r2champion,

Try to commit to building your planes for about an hour at a time as many days as possible. This way, it doesn't seem to be such a burden. Besides, your enthusiasm should increase as you get closer to finishing the planes.

Fly safe and have fun!!
David
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
r2champion

Please don't let it seem that I want anyone to feel sorry for me, I enjoy every minute of building and flying. I guess everyone gets that builders "block" occasionally. Let this be more or less a place where anyone can vent their own building frustrations as well (if theres not one already)!

That is excellent advice hrrcflyer, I need to pace myself!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:51 PM
meaden

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#5824581

I decided to concentrate on one of my builds and not worry so much about getting them done. They'll fly one day. I try to do a little something everyday but if I don't feel like it I don't. It IS a hobby...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know that personally, once flying weather hits, I have a hard time building (Provided I have some flyable planes)

Don't worry, if all else fails, you'll hit it again next winter
Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't for one minute think you are alone in this hobby with the "lack of inspiration" affliction. I have (count them) a Marutaka P6E, Morris Hobbies T45, F-5, DeBolt P51 (now that one goes back a few years), SPAD Albatros, Supermarine S5 and a 1/4 scale Tiger Moth all in pre finished condition with a Kwik Fli waiting to get a finish coat of paint following a repair. And I just started a Reaction 54 Turbine trainer. Don't despair, when you can't get out to the flying field this winter you'll be happy to build.

Or you could entertain your flying friends with a "crash party". Then you'll have to build to finish so you can fly again.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 PM
jrbmoto

I started on my latest plane about 2 months ago. Got the wing built and then it sat until this past weekend when I finally got back to it. I look at it like this: I love to build, especially when its a plane that I'm really excited about. The longer it takes to build, the longer I get to enjoy the building process! It makes it that much sweeter when its all done. Stand back and admire your work now and then, sooner or later you'll get the itch. Think of it like a fine wine...you want to sip it slowly....Don't guzzel it!!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I go through phases on my builds. When I start one I work hard because you see lots of results fast. Once I get to the middle part of the build with sheeting and sanding I always slow down. Then when I get to the monokote and finishing I speed back up because I am ready to fly.

Its not uncommon for me to leave a build a month or so untouched. I always remind myself that its supposed to be fun. If I dont feel like doing anything I dont and then I dont feel bad about it.

Last year I built 1 plane. This year I am about to start on my 3rd. The building bug comes and gos.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
acarter

i, as most poeple go through phases, but i will get a plane, and work on it a little at a time until i see another plane that i want then i work really hard on my current plane, so that i can buy the one that i want, and then usually by the time i'm done with it i don't even want the other one
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I'll say it: "Suck it up and get building trooper, you'll never fly them planed if you don't get them out of the box!"

Just kidding
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 AM
DelRay

It's a hobby, one that can consume a lot of time, and one has to set their priorities. I feel it's a good idea to step away from it and go to other interests every so often, variety is the spice of life. I make a plan of how much and on what part of a project I intend to work on, and often have more than one project going at once or two parts of one project to give me the option to do something a little different. If the spirit isn't with you to be in the shop, turn the lights off, it'll be there waiting when you feel like returning, we often turn a "I want to do it" into a "I have to do it".
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes what I do when I have a project that has "stalled" because I hit a spot that just doesn't seem exciting or seems overwhealming is this.

Sit down and make a comprehensive list of everything that it's going to take to get to through that next step or to finish the plane completely with all of the things I need to do to get there that can be accomplished in one small building session (1/2 hour to 1 hour). Then, sit down and finish doing just one of those things on that list. This will usually get me sailing on through the list and making progress again and it keeps me focused on the task at hand. As you're going, you can check off things on the list and see your progress and get inspired to charge on. Before I know what happened, I'm down in the basement all day long plowing through the list and enjoying myself. It also helps you plan ahead for what parts/tools you might need to get from the hobby shop or hardware store to complete that list item.

For example, in the covering phase:
apply all corner/joint covering
cover stabilizer
cover elevator(s)
cover vert. stab.
cover rudder
cover bottom/sides/top of fuselage
cover top wing
cover bottom wing
cover ailerons
apply trim covering to
wings
fuse
tail feathers

And to get started with the first covering step I know I'll need to have on hand:
Covering material of choice
plenty of new razor blades and exacto blades
new sock for my covering iron
straight edge
semi-perminant markers and/or wax pencils
french curve (depending on the complexity of the covering job)
cutting mat

Sorry about my detail, I'm actually working on re-covering my skybolt and this list needed to be made anyway....

Before you know it, it's time to maiden!

-Todd
Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
r2champion

Thanks for the posts guys. I haven't posted in a while because I've been busy building! I took a combined advice from everyone and the Hog Bipe is nearing completion. Wow, it will be stunning, for my skill level anyways. I will try to post some pics of the progress if I get a chance. I have done a little bit at a time and she came right together. In the meantime, my new son will be here anytime, so I might be away for another stint .

I would like to hear some info on how the Hog Bipe flies, and what tendencies I should expect. The club I belong to has only 20 members, none of which regularly fly besides my dad and I. I have been there atleast once per week this whole season, and I have yet to see anyone else there. Considering this, I have never seen a Hog Bipe fly, just heard many good things. Niether am I able to find any videos online. I would love to see the thing flying, I guess all the more reason to get mine airborne. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been working on planes and engines right now just to keep things in the air. I have had A set of plans for A month now and just can't get into figuring out the wood to order. I had the wood to start the stab and rudder and some side sheeting then it came to A hault. Not to worry, it will happen when the weather starts to change. That's just cool down here, we really have no winter that keeps us indoors for very long but when it starts to get dark early I guess that is building season here??
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Ive had a TF C-182 that i started two years ago. The wing and fuse are done waiting on glass. That has how it has sit for 2 YEARS. I lost motivation in the project, but what i did was plan on a huge really cool, one-off project that will be a LOOOONG build. The thing is, i am really excited about starting that one, but i said to myself, and my wife said as well, that i WILL NOT start it until the cessna is done. Its working pretty good, i should have the C-182 ready within the month. Nick
Old 08-06-2007, 08:23 PM
r2champion

What do you have plans for Gray Beard? I have never done a scratch build, yet. I think when I get the Hog Bipe finished, then the extra, I think that I might try to scratch build a larger version of my dads Airtronics Warlock. He built it as a 1/2a kit, but I have always liked the look of it. He still has the plans, and I think it will be a good first scratch build. All the ribs are the same size and are symmetrical from what I can tell. I'm thinkin about a 60 size and put a Tower .75 on it. Any thoughts...I'm not much of a 4 stroker and after breaking in the Tower .75 thats going on my hog bipe I'm overly impressed.

Name:	Ge96308.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	737217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76494.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	737218  
Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
r2champion

I have always had an eye on the TF Cessna as well Pantherflyer. I think I will need build a few more before tackling it. What is the other project you mentioned, if you don't mind me asking.

On another note, why is it that most every other time I take the time to make a post, I click ok and then I get this dreadful page saying We are Sorry, but the blah blah blah and my my message is lost??? Anyone else have this problem???
Old 10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
r2champion

Well after having a newborn son, I finally had some time to continue with the Hog Bipe. Its still not 100% but enough to be able to snap some pics. I am pretty satisfied with the color scheme so far, just curious about visibity once its in the air. I will still be adding a lot on the wings, we'll see I guess!

Name:	Pn37371.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	781053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40733.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	781054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65929.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	781055  
Old 10-11-2007, 07:27 PM
jrbmoto

They did make a .40 size Warlock, heres a pic of one I saw on fleabay recently

Name:	Ur52244.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	781233  
Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
NCIS

When I am burned out I just get on here and read. Then I find myself maybe going in and doing one or two things on my 1/8 scale TF Corsair. I have modified that plane so much I have real bad BURN OUT. I find that not scheduling when or what I'm going to do next on it is working the best for me. I took away my self implanted deadline and now I don't care when it's done. Just that it is perfect when it is. I have a 1/4 scale DS Corsair to build next and I just let it sit. I never build two planes at one time. To frustrating and way to much pressure and stress. I decided this is supposed to be my fun hobby and thats the way I have made it for me again. BY NO MORE PRESSURE!!!

Gibbs
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: r2champion

Well after having a newborn son, I finally had some time to continue with the Hog Bipe. Its still not 100% but enough to be able to snap some pics. I am pretty satisfied with the color scheme so far, just curious about visibity once its in the air. I will still be adding a lot on the wings, we'll see I guess!
Before even reading the post when I first saw the pics the first thing I thought was "thats going to be hard to see" Bipes are notorios for being dificult with orientation. Your plane looks great and I like the colors but once you get it up its going to turn dark really fast. Especially on overcast days.

The trick to be able to see a plane well is not so much the colors but having contrast.

I have found now that I am getting more comfortable with my flying that its not so hard to keep up with the planes even with non contrasting color schemes.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

Dang, too bad I missed that one! That would have saved me some time. I think I'll enjoy the scratch build however, considering that I have been itching to try "one" [&:]. I am really interested in scratch building more vintage, unkitted planes including some warbirds and thought I had better start with an easier one to soften the learning curve.

Hey Gringo, you are right about the color scheme. I feel confident flying no matter how visible a scheme might be, I guess its just one of those considerations thats implanted in you when you first start learning how to build and cover. Considering that this will be the first bipe that I have flown, I had still better take some precaution to have some contrast.

My dad still hasn't flown the Curtis Hawk P6-E that is in my first post, which is now complete. I think that he feels that since I built it for him, he would never get over the guilt if something happened! Everytime we are getting ready to go fly, selecting which planes to take, he always says "next time I will take that one and taxi it a bit". I just laugh and say yeah right! To be continued when the maiden takes place...
Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 AM
hrrcflyer

r2champion,

Awesome looking Hog!![sm=thumbup.gif]. If it flies half as good as it looks, you're gonna love it..
Old 10-13-2007, 02:10 AM
r2champion

Update:

I finally have the hog to an ARF point. I completed the covering and striping tonght and installed the tail wheel assy. All that remains is hinging the ailerons and rudder, mounting the motor, and installing servos and control linkages. I also need to refinish the wheel pants although I had painted the already. I had a beautiful sheme matching the plane on the pants, then I clear coated them for fuel proofing purposes. The clear coat clouded badly, so I have them sanded for paint once again. Not sure the reason behing this!? I am extremely excited about taxiing this thing onto the runaway for takeoff! My prediction is next weekend.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: r2champion

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

Dang, too bad I missed that one! That would have saved me some time. I think I'll enjoy the scratch build however, considering that I have been itching to try "one" [&:]. I am really interested in scratch building more vintage, unkitted planes including some warbirds and thought I had better start with an easier one to soften the learning curve.

Hey Gringo, you are right about the color scheme. I feel confident flying no matter how visible a scheme might be, I guess its just one of those considerations thats implanted in you when you first start learning how to build and cover. Considering that this will be the first bipe that I have flown, I had still better take some precaution to have some contrast.

My dad still hasn't flown the Curtis Hawk P6-E that is in my first post, which is now complete. I think that he feels that since I built it for him, he would never get over the guilt if something happened! Everytime we are getting ready to go fly, selecting which planes to take, he always says "next time I will take that one and taxi it a bit". I just laugh and say yeah right! To be continued when the maiden takes place...

Thanks Jrbmoto, I found one on fleabay. I guess I'll just have to come up with something else to scratch build (not a bad thing!). This might eben be the same one you found?

Name:	Qo41384.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	784772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94218.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	784773  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.