Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

which would be better

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

which would be better

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 PM
rsimon123086

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would be better

i am build a ultimate bipe by goldberg.. i was wanting to put ys 120 on it but then i got to looking and found an SPE 26cc(1.6 cu in)gas engine. im just tired of messing with the glow engines. i just bought a carden 300s with a brison 4.2 and its so much cheaper and easier to run. the ys is 33.4 w/o muffler so with im guessing 35 and the SPE is 38.4 with muffler and ignition. im just not really sure how the power compares. i thought about just moving the servoes to the back to displace the weight. if anyone can help that would be great
Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: which would be better

i ran an RCS 1.4 on a DP Ultimate after removing the Satio 180 and it was a dog. I could only get about 200 feet on an upline b-4 it ran out of steam. if you just fly circles and keep it low you will be very pleased with the set-up. IMAC stuff brings on issues....

Displacement 22cc/1.4ci
RPM Range 1200-9500 RPM
Weight 2.8 lbs all up - (engine, muffler, ignition, battery & switch)
Horsepower Approximately 2.8hp
Fuel/Ratio Premium Gas mixed 50:1
Ignition 4.8v-6v Microprocessor Auto Advance
Prop Size 2 blade 15x12 APC = 8800rpm, 16x8 APC = 8900rpm, 16x10 APC = 8500rpm

Flying weight with muffler, ignition, 1200mA battery and switch is 2.8 lbs. Remember; this engine sips fuel so you only need a tank 1/2 the size (less weight) of what would be needed for an equivalent glow engine and the same amount of flight time .

Engine with Electronic Ignition $425.00
DuBro Aluminum Vibration Beam Mount $32.00
Spinner Nut $17.50
1400 mah battery & HD Switch $35.00
Inverted Pitts Muffler $75.00
BCM Horizontal Pitts Muffler $60.00
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85665.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	701713  
Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you happen to know how the DP Ultimate compares in size and weight to the Goldberg Ultimate? I thought the DP was larger, but I'm not sure.

As an aside, one thing to do when using a gas engine is to lay the engine over the plans (with protection in place) and calculate where the firewall must be relocated to in order for the thrust washer to be at the same place as on the engine on the plans. This will do a lot to alleviate needing tail weight to balance the model and will permit the model to fly better too. Remember, the fuel tank can be quite small (8 to 10 oz.) for normal flying with gasoline.

Straight up, we should say that no gas engine made today is going to weigh the same and produce the same power as a YS 1.20. It isn't in the cards, I don't care how you alter the model.

With that said, and with lowered expectations, a very good flying, aerobatic model can be built utilizing one of today's gas engines. If the gas experience is important to you and saving a lot of money on fuel turns you on, why not be content with just maximizing the airframe and powerplant combination?

I have a Goldberg Ultimate ARF (my first CGM Ultimate was a kit) that I am going to power with a Magnum 1.60 Twin. Why? Just for kicks. I have gas engines that would fit and fly the model well. I also have single cylinder glow engines that would manhandle this beast with ease (ST 1.40,TT 1.20, Saito and OS 1.20/1.25 four-strokes). But this time I want to hear a two cylinder four-stroke do its thing. It doesn't matter to me that other engines would make it 3D with ease. I have other planes for that type of flying.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

it was about a 60" WS and weight in the 12 1/2 lbs range on most glow motors. Yes it is bigger. That was my input so you will at least have some info to start with as sometimes you do not get many responses on topic unless you start a is goldberg better than dave patrick ultimate lol