Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 AM
japes999
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

It weighs about 9.5 lbs, with lots of lead (7 oz) up front as it has a Super Tigre 90.
Built from the great planes kit quite a while ago, she hasn't been in the air yet, as I haven't had the cajones. This summer though.... It is all ready to go now with the linkages set up, etc.

Covering is all monokote. I used a overhead projecter to put an image of a flag in motion onto the plane, and then traced out the shape. It got a little complicated to make it look just right. I have gold checkerboard on the bottom, so it should really stand out.

I have been flying the skybolt on the sim (G4.5), and was wondering how true to life it is. Right away I had to increase the control throws, as I thought it was pretty sluggish. I also noticed that it will not deadstick worth a dang (which I'm sure will be the case in real life). Part of my hesitiation to fly it is knowing my luck with engines, deadsticks are enevitalble, and I can't see how I'm going to bring her in safe when that happens.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just remember that it has the glide slope of a brick. If it goes dead stick, get her to the runway ASAP
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>
>
Part of my hesitiation to fly it is knowing my luck with engines, deadsticks are enevitalble, and I can't see how I'm going to bring her in safe when that happens.

japes999,

I had first installed a Super Tiger G90 in my plane. I bought that engine because of a bargain price as the local hobby store had a day of so calld customer appreciation at reduced prices. It was a new engine in its original box and sealed.

I then read many reports that these engnes were critical to tune. I installed the engine for static initial running (so called break-in) and did experience some difficulies in making it idle slow enough (just below 2000 rpm on the tachometer) and still get good acceleration response.

Since the piston cylinder is only just that a piston and a cylinder like in any other engine my mind was telling me that the difficulty can only be with the carburetor. So I took the carburetor apart and looked at its construction. The jet in there (the openin where the fuel is comng out into the airstream is of a funny shape that they call " a cat's eye". It has that shape because it is machined with a small rotary tool (milling cutter in the shape of a toothed circular cutter). The cat's eye was not a smooth machining at all and some metal burrs were present in the opening.

I cleaned up the cat's eye, took off the burrs and polished it the best I could by hand.
That really seem to have cured the idle and transition problem.

For whatever it might be worth to you. It costs nothing to have a look.

Zor
Old 01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

I hope to get started this weekend.

Jaybird
Hello Jaybird,

Just wondering if you have started working on your Skybolt

Zor
Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Jaybird

Hi Zor,

No, not yet. I've been busy with a couple of Snow-flys and I installed some floats on another plane for winter time. I also picked up the new Ultra Micro 4-Site and had had a devil of time trying to figure it out. Actually got it stuck 25 ft up in a tree and spent $45 and two hours trying to get it down. It's repaired and ready to try again. I head to Florida this week for vacation and a trip to Fanatsy of Flight in Polk City for a biplane flight.

Stay warm!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70758.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1363684  
Old 01-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Zor
Banned

Jaybird,

Nice looking model on floats.
I'll bet you are anxious to fly it off from its element water.

Enjoy your trip to Florida.

Hey this is a hobby for leisure times.
Hoping to hear from you upon your return.

Have a nice and safe trip.

Zor
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Jaybird

Thanks.

This will be my third ride in a Stearman operated by Waldo Wrights Flying service. They do the take off and landing and you get to fly the rest of the time if you want (who wouldn't?). The Museum is great fun too.

Here the Sunday in the air...right at home here too.

Jaybird

Name:	Rp44708.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1363817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23942.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1363818  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Just remember that it has the glide slope of a brick. If it goes dead stick, get her to the runway ASAP
Minnflyer,

Has "the glide slope of a brick " been your experience ?
Perhaps your statement is "just a way of writing" ?

Do you have or had a Skybolt ?
Any Picture ? or reference to any pic of your Skybolt earlier in this hangar ?

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Zor
Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
biplanemurphy

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Minnflyer,

Has ''the glide slope of a brick '' been your experience ?
Perhaps your statement is ''just a way of writing'' ?

Do you have or had a Skybolt ?
Any Picture ? or reference to any pic of your Skybolt earlier in this hangar ?

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Zor
Hi Zor,

Minnflyer is right on with that description!!
What he said is exactly how I experienced them!!

Deadstick Landings are not fun with this plane. Very rapid altitude loss.

Also, I believe he has had several Skybolts, and I seem to recall him posting a link to a video of him flying one at some point in this thread, or another.
Maybe he will repost that link for us?

Chris
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Zor
Banned

Hi Zor,

Minnflyer is right on with that description!!
What he said is exactly how I experienced them!!

Deadstick Landings are not fun with this plane. Very rapid altitude loss.

Also, I believe he has had several Skybolts, and I seem to recall him posting a link to a video of him flying one at some point in this thread, or another.
Maybe he will repost that link for us?

Chris
Hi Chris, always nice to read you.
It would be nice to read from Minnflyer.

I think I get his message but lets face it a brick falls vertically.

The loss of altitude is a result of the descent trajectory and the speed.
The speed should be for the best lift to drag ratio. It is not easy to judge but if the pilot has made some exercices with his model he has some fair idea of the model attitude he should try to maintain on a dead stick landing.

I think very few fliers do these exercices and in such event kind of dive the model as they are afraid of losing speed and stalling. Since pretty well all airfoils stall at about 15 degrees AOA, trying to maintain a fuselage angle to the trajectory of about 10 degrees nose up is about the best condition to try to maintain.

Last summer at the local club a fellow ran out of fuel flying his Skybolt. The plane was about 100 feet up or so. He had no problem to turn downwind for about half the runway length (300 feet runway) make a 45 degree banked U turn and touch down roughly half way down the runway.

Agreed the Skybolt is definetely not a sailplane but it does glide. It is all a matter of the wing loading and practicing gliding it. Unfortunately few do these exercices.

Thanks for your posting Chris.

Zor
Edited to add the quote at the top.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

I've actually flown my GP Skybolt, a lot. I've also had several deadsticks on it. The thing glides like a brick.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM
smithcreek

double post
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Zor
Banned

Hi Skybolt fliers,

Can anyone post some figures for the stalling speed of a 57 inch wingspan skybolt in the following weights.

7.0 lbs
8.0 lbs
9.0 lbs
10.0 lbs
11 lbs
12 lbs

Thanks

Zor
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

double post
Sorry, I am not a computer expert but I do not see where I double posted.

Zor
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
biplanemurphy

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

double post
Sorry, I am not a computer expert but I do not see where I double posted.

Zor

Hi Zor....LOL...He double posted, and had to delete the 2nd one.

I had a couple deadsticks when I first built mine...from running out of fuel.
At 100 feet up, it wouldn't have been so bad, but I was 50 feet up and skimming over the trees to come in for a landing.
I barely made the end of the landing strip, and it sort of flopped on the ground due to lack of airspeed.

I don't have figures for airspeed/stall angles etc.... I just know if it goes deadstick, land very quickly.

But then again, mine is pretty heavy, even for a skybolt. 12 lbs or so. So the wing loading is fairly high.

With no power it is kinda like throwing a brick.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Zor
Banned

I thought he was referring to one of my postings.

It would be very interesting and informative if we could determine the flight trajectory angle to the horizontal to maintain the best lift to drag ratio.

That would be the conditions for the smallest angle and longest ground coverage.

Well we can dream, can we not ?

Like I dreamed of changing the Saito 125 for a Saito FG 20.

I was at the LHS a couple of days ago. They did not have one.
Six weeks delivery, and that is doubtful but what is not doubtful is the price at nearly $700.00. I can buy lots of glow fuel for that cost.

Zor
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
MinnFlyer

I built my first Skybolt in 93 and flew it for about 12 years until it was so "war weary" that I finally gave it away. I bought a second kit, but then Great Planes asked me to review the ARF version for RCU magazine. I'm still flying the ARF, so I never got around to building the second kit.

Here is a video of my first Skybolt (Kit version) with smoke:

http://www.minnartist.com/RCU/grafix...t_high_res.wmv

And here's a link to the ARF review:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=750
Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello everyone,

I wish to thank Minnflyer for the two links that are most interesting.

I encourage any reader to visit those links and enjoy them like I did.

Mny thanks MinnFlyer.

Zor
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 PM
MinnFlyer

My pleasure Zor
Old 01-29-2010, 11:40 AM
mshaggyc72

I'm confused! I currently own a GP super skybolt that I recently re-engined with an Enya 120 four stroke. While searching for CG information I found conflicting information between the kit version and the ARF version. The kit version instructions call out for the CG to be 2-3/4" aft of the L.E @ rib 7, the ARF instructions call out for 4-5/8" aft of the top wing L.E. This at almost 2 full inch difference between the two. I believe that dimensionally the aircraft are the same, except I do know the total weight of the planes are a little different being that the kit version tends to be heavier but over all weight does not change were the CG should be. I purchased this airplane already built and flying, I made the mistake of not verifying were the initial CG was before I removed the supertiger 90 (by the way was a dog for this airplane) Being a A&P mechanic I did my own research and mathematically calculated out were the CG theoretically should be and the ARF kit was in the ball park, But for me to balance the plane to the kit instructions of 2-3/4" I would have to add something like 1 to 1-1/2 lbs some thing is wrong with that!! Moreover the Previous flights with the supertiger showed that the airplane would not like spin no matter how hard I tried leading me to believe it was nose heavy before. Does anyone out there have any set-up info for me ie. CG location preferred control surface throws ect.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 PM
smithcreek

The top wing is swept back, so 2-3/4" at the 7th rib (at the struts) is probably the same as 4-5/8" from the top wing LE in the center of the wing.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: mshaggyc72

I'm confused! I currently own a GP super skybolt that I recently re-engined with an Enya 120 four stroke. While searching for CG information I found conflicting information between the kit version and the ARF version. The kit version instructions call out for the CG to be 2-3/4'' aft of the L.E @ rib 7,
My CG is 2.8246 inch (close enough to 2.750 behind the leading OF THE TOP WING at rib 7
the ARF instructions call out for 4-5/8'' aft of the top wing L.E. This at almost 2 full inch difference between the two.
My CG is 5.000 inch behind the leading edge of the top wing at the center wingspan wise. Your 4 5/8 has to be at the center of the wing spanwise.
I believe that dimensionally the aircraft are the same, except I do know the total weight of the planes are a little different being that the kit version tends to be heavier by 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 lbs depending on the kit construction and covering. but over all weight does not change were the CG should be. I purchased this airplane already built and flying, I made the mistake of not verifying were the initial CG was before I removed the supertiger 90 (by the way was a dog for this airplane)
This kit is claimed by the designer to be able to fly with a .61 two strokes ! ! ! ? ? ?
Being a A&P mechanic I did my own research and mathematically calculated out were the CG theoretically should be and the ARF kit was in the ball park, But for me to balance the plane to the kit instructions of 2-3/4'' I would have to add something like 1 to 1-1/2 lbs some thing is wrong with that!!
I do not see what is wrong. 2 3/4 at rib 7 of the top wing is very close to 4 5/8 of the top wing at the fuselage
Moreover the Previous flights with the supertiger showed that the airplane would not like spin no matter how hard I tried leading me to believe it was nose heavy before. Does anyone out there have any set-up info for me ie. CG location preferred control surface throws ect.
I always set my throws mechaically more than specified and do the actual setting with the travel adjustment of the transmitter. This way I have spare without having to change the mechanical.
For the kit the CG is shown 1/4" ahead of the leading edge of the low wing with a range of +/- 3/8" .

Hoping this help you a bit.

Zor
Edited to correct spelling.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:45 PM
biplanemurphy

Mine flies great with the CG at the leading edge of the lower wing.
However, I have never tried a spin with her.
I have done a Lomcevak type manuever with her though!

It balanced perfectly with no added weight, but my OS FS1.20 engine is quite heavy in its own right.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello guys,

Here a couple of pics.

Checking the CG location _ _ _

and added 4 oz of weight in the cowling.

Zor

Edited to correct spelling.

Name:	Mk26026.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1367463   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42800.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1367464  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 AM
MinnFlyer

Zor, you might want to reconsider that. Adding weights to the ABS cowl could cause the cowl to crack due to excessive vibrations. It might not happen right away, but it will happen eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.