Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 14 of 81 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

ORIGINAL: Rflyin

Zor,
    The 125 is mounted inverted on the included mount. I'm waiting on a 90 degree muffler adapter that should let me swing the stock muffler under the cowl centered and just in front of the landing gear.

Rick
    Thanks Rick,

A picture of my arrangement.

Zor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70848.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	1382812  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Super Skybolt is coming along nicely. I now have a fuselage with all but the front formers permanently glued in place. My brother is sending me a Saito 91 to mount on the front and I have to layout the firewall before I glue it and they all go in at the same time. I was going to try and install a single hidden bellcrank for the elevators rather than two pushrods, but I'm thinking I may just run two separate rods from one servo. The instructions say to make a single pushrod with a "Y" at one end to run the elevators. The problem is you have to build the pushrod and then leave it in place while you sheet the fuselage and then they are sticking out when you cover. The ARF version simply runs two separate pushrods and connects them together with a couple of set screw collars which sounds easier to do.

Visited Owls Head today for their Winter Transportation festival. Great fun watching the Lombard Log hauler steam it's way around the grounds while horse and ox teams pulled logs from the woods. Also had a ride in the snow-mobile conversion Model T with skis on front and tracks on back. I also took ride in their Super Cub and got to fly it for a while.

More later,

Jaybird

Name:	Lj21422.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	1383513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu59497.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	1383514  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

jaybird,

Hey man, you are doing fine.

I wonder why the left pic appears only as a rectangle with an X in it but clicking it the fuselage view does open.

If you decide on a Y for the elevators the wires would have threads (2-56) at the ends to receive threaded clevis which allows you to adjust the two elevators independently.
    When covering you can put two little nuts on each at the very end and lock the two little nuts together. You then push the Y wires for the little nuts only to be out of the fuse and do your covering. The little nuts prevent the wires from going inside the fuuselage.

Hey...that Ford snow machine is quite something.

Thanks for the pictures. Glad you had a great time.

Another thing as a suggestion for the turtle deck (top of fuse behind canopy to rear end) do not use 1/16" sheeting; use 3/32". By the time you have to do a bit of sanding the 1/16 becomes too thin and too weak.

regards de Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A little more work today on the tail servos and pushrod tubes after finally gluing the fuselage together up to the firewall and the front end of the tank mounting plate last night. I'm still waiting for the engine to arrive so I can layout the mount on the firewall (wow, what awful splintery plywood supplied for that). I can still spread the front of the fuselage apart far enough to slip the firewall in and out. I made some reinforcing plates to support the landing gear mount and added a bass wood cross member to the half former that goes on the bottom of the tank plate (also an awful piece of plywood). I'm hoping it will spread some of the landing loads better than the kit design. I put in two bass wood rails to mount the servos to with one rail removable to allow the tank to go in and out through the wing saddle area (thanks to those that mentioned that it would fit). I have gone with two separate pushrods clamped together for the elevator halves instead of the single center horn. I'm quite happy with the outcome so far, although there are a lot of very crude die crushed balsa and plywood pieces making for some interesting assemblies. I have the upper wing cabane struts glued into their holders but I haven't mounted them yet since the tank and firewall aren't attached. I saw in one build thread where a high end laser level with vertical and horizontal beams was used to align different assemblies. I found a small Royobi single beam unit at Home Depot for under $30 and I've used it quite a bit to check alignment of the fuselage formers and the tail. It will be very handy for installing the cabane struts. I drew centerlines on all the formers and it really helps sighting by eye and is great with the red laser sight line.

I hope to start the wings soon.

Jaybird

Name:	Sq46176.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	1388215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pm34850.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	1388216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx69916.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	1388217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz79411.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	1388218  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jaybird,

I am following your progress with great interest.

Have a good laugh at me. My laser beam consisted of a #10 white sewing thread under tension. It worked fine.

You probably plan to wait cementing the cabane base after you have your top wing available to insert in position and check the top wing incidence.

Keep us posted at your convenience.

Cheers

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This weekend I was busy with my other hobby...Barbershop style four-part harmony...I sing in a quartet (four people) and a chorus (41 people) and we had a workshop coaching day on Saturday.

I did get a little more done with the tail and added wedges to the vertical fin post so that it will mate up with the angled side plates as they come together. The laser came in handy to make sure the vertical fin was vertical. I found that the side plates need a little help coming together so that the fin is straight up and not tilted to one one side. It's pretty subtle but makes a big difference in alignment. I also hinged the elevator halves and now they need to be finished shaped.

I'll be taking the fuselage and tail to a couple of club meetings this week so folks can see my progress first hand.

Jaybird

Name:	Li21150.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	1389169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27405.jpg 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	1389170  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi fellas.  Can you still buy the Skybolt in kit form?  I do not see anything other than an ARF at the Great Planes site.
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only if someone has it hiding in a closet or crashed in a box.

My kit was manufactured in 1992. I don't know exactly when they stopped but it was several years ago for the Great Planes kit anyway. There may be other manufactures...some have mentioned SIG>

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stevenmax50,

I have a 60 size Great Planes and a Sig Skybolt kit at home that I've been thinking about selling. Send me a PM if you're interested.

David
    Fly Safe and Have Fun ! ! !
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #22

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the GP Skybolt ARF NIB.

PM if interested.

Charles
    Owner: CFC Graphics. "Model Airplane Graphics from a Model Airplane Builder." cfcgraphics.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello everyone,

Went to the flying field yesterday (Sunday).
    It is still all soaked with melted snow and nearly got stuck in mud with the car.

The field is in a park in an industrial area and everything closed on Sundays.
    Thought I would have to call a tow truck that could also have got stuck in mud.
    All nice grass hiding the mud condition. I found out as the tires started slipping and digging down.

The nearest phone was unknown. The tires dug down to the frozen level then were just spinning on the frozen layer.

A bit of luck and I managed to get to more solid ground and got out. Did not see another vehicle on the road for 2 miles. It would have been a long walk trying to find a phone.
    I do not have a cell.

jaybird _ _ _ how you progressing on the Skybolt?

The flying season here will not start for another month at the field.

Regards to all readers,

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't done much as I've been waiting for my engine to arrive from my brother in Michigan. I'm also on mandatory overtime at work so my evenings and weekend time has been minimal. I did finally get started on the firewall drilling with the engine and mount. I didn't trust the splintery firewall material to perform by itself so I added a 1/4 lite ply backer to encompass the blind nut mounts and add to the cabane strut mount slots behind the firewall. I then drilled through that piece after the glue dried and added a full area 1/4 ply plate to the front using the die cut pieces as a template. Once that was dry I drilled through that and will shape it to match the die-cut parts. I also found that the fuselage tail had a bend to the right sighting down from the nose and even though I had tried to reposition it with the triangle insert at the stab saddle, it was still off. So there was a fair amount of time required to cut that piece free from the fuselage and clean up the mounting area. I've made new parts using the punch out as a template.
    I also did some finish edge sanding on the elevator halves. I've also started trying to sculpt the fuselage bottom to match the formers.

I did get some flying in on Saturday after going into work at the Portland field. All of our snow is gone and the field is completely clear and just a little soft in some places. Our access road was fine (sorry to hear of your trouble) and although it was blustery I got in a couple of flights as the sun was setting..

Jaybird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd jump in. Bought a Sig Skybolt a month ago at a swap meet and am waiting for the right conditions to take it up for the first flight. Anyone familiar with the Ontario winters might know things aren't close to perfect very often. As it was, most of the snow melted in the last week, but the frozen ground does not allow for runoff. Underneath things are pretty soggy. Found even my Eagle 2 and SPAD liked to sink down in the soft gravel when throttled up, the vibrations enough to get things liquid under the tires pretty fast.

I have an EVO 46 swinging an APC 12.25/3.75 prop and since I could not find any info regarding engine size, contacted Sig and was told the motor should pull the plane, but I should increase the pitch.

The plane weighs in at 7lbs 2.4oz and balances perfectly with a 2100 pack under the tank and Higleys Heavy Hub up front. It was built with just the lower ailerons.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.
    Club Saito Member # 787
    FA91, 100, 2 X 125a, 150

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Cougar429,

Hopefully someone else that has a Sig Skybolt will assist you with some information.

My comments here are generalized based on a model weighing 7 1/2 lbs. 72 inches wingspan high wing monoplane and powered with a K&B 45 engine and a wooden prop 12 x 6 or 7 (markings on the prop are gone).

By today's general practice it is underpowered. It flys very realistically. The take off run is fairly long and experiments I made gave me the feeling that maximum speed at most is about twice the stalling speed in straight and level flight. Something similar to the full size airplane.

I tried to find specs on the Sig Skybolt but could not find so I am speculating here.
    Wingspan known to be 51"
    Chord estimated at 7.5"
    That would give an area of about 682.5 sq. in. or 4.74 sq ft.
    At the weight you mention 7 lbs 2.4 oz which is 7.15 lbs or 114.4 oz
    The wing loading would be close to 114.4 / 4.74 = 24.14 oz / sq ft.

A reasonably heavy wing loading.

Above are my thoghts _ _ _ below are some recommendations.

You may consider changing for a more powerful engine since the Skybolt is best as an aerobatic model. Perhaps a .61 two strokes minimum or a 1.0 four strokes.

If you enjoy balsa building you may consider installing aileons on the top wing like the full size Skybolt and the Great Planes models that many have built. See earlier in this hangar.

Just some thoughts. I am not trying to tell you what to do.

The Skybolt is a most enjoyable model to fly.

Zor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

I have an EVO 46 swinging an APC 12.25/3.75 prop and since I could not find any info regarding engine size, contacted Sig and was told the motor should pull the plane, but I should increase the pitch.

The plane weighs in at 7lbs 2.4oz and balances perfectly with a 2100 pack under the tank and Higleys Heavy Hub up front. It was built with just the lower ailerons.
    Posted are the two labels on the Sig kit box. Engine power is listed at .60 (larger 4-stroke engines weren't around back when kit was on the market). A .46 will not pull this bipe around with any authority. It really begs for a .60 to give you sport performance.

The Sig optioned the builder for either two (lower wing) full-length ailerons or four (outer wing - both wings) shorter "barn door" ailerons. Though you only gain just under two (2) sq. in. of aileron area with four ailerons, they are of course positioned at the outer area of the wing which increases roll rate and makes the model a "hotter" performer. Converting your plane to four ailerons would entail uncovering both wings and more than a bit of surgery.

I flew an Aeromaster (48" wingspan - top wing swept, lower straight) configured with two lower wing full-span ailerons on an OS .60 for years and wanted-not for more roll rate. If it were me in your place, I'd mount a .60 in that 'Bolt and fly the wings off of it as she is.

EJWash

Name:	Tr51361.jpg 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	1394217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86158.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	1394218  
    EJWash

A man's home is his castle,
    but a hanger is his sanctuary...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

O/K. Thanks. Like to leave myself some margin for power if I need it, so now just have to find a decent motor that size. Kind of on a budget now.
    Club Saito Member # 787
    FA91, 100, 2 X 125a, 150

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are pictures showing the OS 91 from my brother and rear firewall modifications. I bought a Fiberglass Specialties cowl but it seems a little too small at this point to fit over the front of the fuselage. The ABS plastic parts are slightly larger and fit on easier. I'll have to monitor my top and bottom planking to make sure it's small enough for the fiberglass cowl.

Jaybird

Name:	Ay75408.jpg 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	1394398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25826.jpg 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1394399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15301.jpg 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	1394400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz77653.jpg 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	1394401  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Courgar429,
    I have a Sig Skybolt and OS 91FS - flies beautifully with this combination. I would suggest that a 46 will be a bit underpowerd - I would recommend no less
    than a good 60 two stroke. The skybolt is a real point and shoot type of plane - stays in what ever attitude you put it in. Just remember don't mix ailerons and rudder. Whilst flying
    one day it suddenly did 3 snaps rolls on me - luckily I realised in time that I had bumped the aileron/rudder coulpling switch before it hit the ground.

Have fun

Nev

Name:	Fd93203.jpg 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	1394915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78998.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	1394916  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nevster
    I have a Sig Skybolt and OS 91FS - flies beautifully with this combination.
    That is one pretty ship!

Curious about the covering and finish. Where did you end up at in the total weight?

Thanks for sharing,

EJWash
    EJWash

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a chance at a Saito 80. Would that be adequate and if so, what prop?
    Club Saito Member # 787
    FA91, 100, 2 X 125a, 150

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope.

The saito 80 has less power than most 70 size 4-strokes. It may get it in the air, but it will be all you can do to get it above treetop height.
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi EJwash,
    I think my skybolt weighed about 8.5 lbs (it's been a while since I last flew it) . Covering is solartex painted with enamel - this turned out
    to be a bit of a mistake as the paint has cracked in some places as enamel doesn't flex.

Even though it's a bit on the heavy side it still slows down nicely for landings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finally have a week to work on the Skybolt without that darn work to go to (furlough week) and I've spent 4-1/2 hours today finishing up some details on the fuselage. My stats so far are 24 days out of the last 38 with a total of 63 hours. The firewall is installed with the new doubler added from the previous posts. I've made the tank removeable from the radio compartment with braces on the sides and top and a stop plate that is screwed on. The pressure and fuel lines go straight through the firewall and come out behind the motor mount. The throttle pushrod tube is installed. Since many of you found that you needed to make a hatch in front of the landing gear mount I've made a box to put the battery in and mount the hatch to if I find I need to do the same. I also added 1/4 ply spacer to the landing gear mount and shaped it to support the side planking and seal up the sides. It should help with ground clearance which others have mentioned as being an issue as well. Now I can start planking the underside of the nose after I pick up some 3/16 x 2 that's a little more flexible then the kit material. I can also now proceed with the cabane mounting with the tank in place. Last week I finished up the underside of the tail and I've sanded it to shape. The rudder fin slides nicely into place and is straight up and down and in-line. I'm anxious to finish up the fuselage and get started on the wings.

I'm also taking an introductory tailwheel flight this Wednesday at the Sanford airport in a 2004 Citabria 7GCBC to add a tailwheel endorsement to my private license.

Jaybird

Name:	Hf99585.jpg 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	1398887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu61062.jpg 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	1398888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd92023.jpg 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	1398889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq48911.jpg 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	1398890  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

I'm also taking an introductory tailwheel flight this Wednesday at the Sanford airport in a 2004 Citabria 7GCBC to add a tailwheel indorsement to my private license.
    * ADDICTION ALERT!!! *

I built my flight time between my private and instrument rating in Citabrias and a little bit of Great Lakes. Just over 100 hours 7ECA, 7GCBC, and 7KCAB, and another 20-some hours in the Great Lakes. Still some of most fun flying I've logged. First thing my instructor said (in a heavy French accent) was that you fly taildraggers from when you get in them until you get out of them. Man, was he right!

Have a great time!

EJWash
    EJWash

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Turtle deck is finished and I've started on the bottom planking. I've been strapping and clamping the parts in place and soaking them with Windex to get them pre-formed before glueing. It woked really well on the turtledeck sides and after glueing the bottom edge and then soaking and strapping the sides they were formed almost perfectly. The 3/16 x2 for the bottom is a little harder to form as you all know. It's done though and waiting for the sides to be formed.

I preparation for my tailwheel lesson tomorrow, I rented a plane this afternoon and did some take offs and landings at a couple of nearby fields to get my head into new situations and reading the blustery winds that will be around the next few days. Great fun, but it cuts into my building time!

Jaybird

Name:	Ec89898.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	1399745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68784.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	1399746  

Page 14 of 81 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast