Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Have been a bit tied up, but cut the firewall open and fabbed a ply insert to move the motor aft far enough to fit the cowl. Fiberglass Specialties held the new piece for me to pick up in Toledo last Saturday and except for some contour issues at the bottom of the fuse, (I assume from the build) it fits and looks bloody good. Sort of sorry I didn't ask for one for the Nortstar, (as well as anything else with a plastic excuse).

Arrived at 9 AM and left at 5 and still think I was limited to viewing slightly over half of all the goodies. Jeesh, it was big this year!

Also picked up a pair of remote glow adapters and 2 Hayes AL-60 mounts on my tour around the building. Tight fit on the YS 91AC but looks grenade proof, if a bit on the weighty side.

Yippee! Saito 91 showed up in the post today, (as with the YS, love the workmanship on these little beauties). Also fits the Hayes mount, but will need to do a bit of creative work to clear the intake and choke. Looks to be a better match for the 'Bolt.

Oh well, will just have to store the YS till I find an airframe to handle the power.

Have been taking pics of the firewall hog job. Will post them when there is some form of "Before" and "After" comparison.

Along with that I have been going after another thing I was not happy with. When I bought the plane there was no upper wing center attach wire and the only thing I had available that diameter was a C/F rod. A bit leery of it failing under some of my wild maneuvers so have been working on using either of a couple of steel rods, the preference being the polished steel for ease of insert and removal.

Have a question regarding RF, though. Specifically, has anyone encountered anything from movement between the wing attach wire and the cabane tabs? I once had a receiver go nuts from nothing more than a loose muffler, so have seen it before.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

>>> the cowl. Fiberglass Specialties held the new piece for me to pick up in Toledo last Saturday . . .
>
>
Yippee! Saito 91 showed up in the post today,
>
>
Looks to be a better match for the 'Bolt.
>
>
Have a question regarding RF, though. Specifically, has anyone encountered anything from movement between the wing attach wire and the cabane tabs? I once had a receiver go nuts from nothing more than a loose muffler, so have seen it before.
Cougar429 and everyone,

You seem to have enjoyed your visit to the Toledo show Cougar; that is good.

The Saito 91 should handle the plane very nicely.

Radiating sparks do not occur between pieces well connected together.

Being an experimenter, I wanted to reduce the springing travel of the original landing gear.
I found in my junk two little springs that are quite stiff and worked out what you see in the attached pictures.

It seem to fit the bill just right.

Editing . . . The ferrules are dural alloy; I do not know about the springs; the wire is 0.043 inch dia stainless steel. The center metal screw is self threaded in the center of the landing gear and into the 1//4 inch plywood seat of the landing gear.

I tried to edit last night but for unknown reason it did not work.
Just trying again this morning to add the details in the above paragraph.

Zor

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19388.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1418171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95183.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1418172  
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
EJWash1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duplicate posts. Disregard.

EJWash
Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 PM
EJWash1

Yippee! Saito 91 showed up in the post today, (as with the YS, love the workmanship on these little beauties). Also fits the Hayes mount, but will need to do a bit of creative work to clear the intake and choke. Looks to be a better match for the 'Bolt.
I'm very interested in seeing your pics of the mounted Saito. I keep positioning an Os FS-91 over the plans, but nothing gels better than seeing an actual example.

The plans actually call for an 1/8" wooden dowel. Since shear strength of the dowel (regardless of the material) applies here, a metal rod is overkill and not necessary. Your CF rod would do just fine. When I went over the plans when I got the kit, the wooden dowel concerned me as far as wear, but I plan to go with a wooden dowel and keep an eye on it for wear. I'll replace the dowel when I'm uncomfortable with it. The rod just slides into position in the cabane and is not cinched down, so if you use a metal rod it can vibrate which may cause interference.

If the original builder followed the plan and build manual, the tabs that the dowel passes through is made of brass. If you use a dowel of a material harder than brass (like steel) it may elongate the holes in the tabs over time (how long - who knows) and then you'll be faced with replacing the tabs.

EJWash
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
EJWash1

Duplicate posts. Disregard.

EJWash
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Zor
Banned

I recently said that "I am glad to see this thread is now very active" (or similar words).

Some analysis just for interest.

18 June 2007 post #1

Approx 6 months later . . .
16 December 2007 post #94

Approx 2 months later . . .
08 February 2008 post #111

Approx 10 months later . . .
01 December 2008 post 112

Approx 7 months later . . .
03 July 2009 post # 150

Approx 4 months later . . .
10 November 2009 post #175

Approx 3 months later . . .
15 February 2010 post #280

approx 2 months later . . .
15 April 2010 post # 451

Resume
Months number of posts.
6 94
2 17
10 1
7 38
4 25
3 105
2 171

Telll us more about your Skybolt. Post more pictures.
Is it a Great Planes kit? _ _ _ A Sig kit? _ _ _ A scratch built? _ _ _ From which plans (drawings)?
Which engine and propeller is on it?
Do you have a Skybolt but did not yet post any pictures?
What modificatons did you make?
What problems did you encounter?
How did you solve those problems?

Any of this information can be helpful to new builders.

Mainly enjoy flying one of the most beautiful and good flying biplane.

Zor

P.S.: Ya... useless but interesting statistics.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Jaybird

I finally have the front end squared away and I'm ready to start the wings. I was hoping to fit the RCSpecialties muffler inside the cowling but it was too tight a fit and would have required even more cutouts to keep from melting the fiberglass. It's still a lot more compact than the stock muffer and pipes and I think it will look good and have plenty of airflow. The needle valve and fueling valve holes are cut along with the rear exit air vent hole. I ended up cutting a slit in the cowl to allow it to go on over the muffler. The 90 degree fitting and stocky muffler have to be threaded into the cylinder before the engine is mounted to the firewall due to swing clearance needed. It's just too confined once the engine is bolted in place.

Now to pick my color scheme!

Jaybird

Name:	Lj21754.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1420927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87124.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1420928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68242.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1420929  
Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Jaybird

I've decided to use 21 Century iron on fabric with black, white and Cub yellow as the basic colors. I had a partial roll of the white and bought the yellow today. The black is on order and should be in next week. I'm thinking an inverted version of the Pitts Python color scheme with the black on top and the yellow on bottom and a white stripe in the middle. The top of the wings will have a wide black leading edge followed by a white stripe and then finish in yellow. I may do the horizontal and vertical stabs in yellow to make the transitions easier..I'll see how it goes.

A friend in the KVMA club is selling some of his planes to make room and after thinking it over I've decided to purchase his Cermark Pitts S2 with a Saito 150 ready to fly. I know it's not a Skybolt, but it's a great biplane and will give me this one to fly while I build over the summer and fall.

Jaybird

Name:	By76653.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1421587  
Old 04-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello again Jaybird,

I am closely following your postings and very much enjoying your progress.

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

I've decided to use 21 Century iron on fabric with black, white and Cub yellow as the basic colors.

I could not relate the "fabric" link with 21st Century

I had a partial roll of the white and bought the yellow today. The black is on order and should be in next week. I'm thinking an inverted version of the Pitts Python color scheme with the black on top and the yellow on bottom and a white stripe in the middle. The top of the wings will have a wide black leading edge followed by a white stripe and then finish in yellow. I may do the horizontal and vertical stabs in yellow to make the transitions easier..I'll see how it goes.

It would look very nice.

A friend in the KVMA club is selling some of his planes to make room and after thinking it over I've decided to purchase his Cermark Pitts S2 with a Saito 150 ready to fly. I know it's not a Skybolt, but it's a great biplane and will give me this one to fly while I build over the summer and fall.

The Pitts has a lot of similarity to the Skybolt. Any difference in their flying characteristics has a lot more to do with the transmitter set up and the plane control surfaces settings.

Jaybird
I noticed in your picture the landing gear wires from the wheels to the fuselage center.
A little spring is visible and I imagine there is two. An identical improvement to the landing gear as shown in the posting I made a few days ago on my Skybolt. (see nearby posting).

You will surely enjoy flying that Spitts.

Zor

Editing after reading my posting _ _ _
I see that the words "landing gear" has become a link to a website.
I did not create that link and find it strange that it is forming a link.

It appears that perhaps your word "fabric" in your original posting did the same to the F&M (Stits) site. No surprise I could not relate that link with 21st Century.

I cannot explain what is going on but it is surely STRANGE.

Zor

Second editing _ _ _
Now that I have written and added the above editing, the "landing gear" words are not a link anymore. The word "fabric" in your posting is still a link to F&M website.

Zor

Third editing _ _ _
The words "landing gear" have become a link again to "High Torque landing gear site".

I do not know what is going on. I am not creating these links.

Zor

Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM
EJWash1

Jaybird,

Sorry the muffler didn't fit entirely into the cowl. It does look really nice and streamlined though.

Cool color choices. Should be easy enough to see in the air.

EJWash
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL:

Editing after reading my posting _ _ _
I see that the words ''landing gear'' has become a link to a website.
I did not create that link and find it strange that it is forming a link.

It appears that perhaps your word ''fabric'' in your original posting did the same to the F&M (Stits) site. No surprise I could not relate that link with 21st Century.

I cannot explain what is going on but it is surely STRANGE.

Zor

Second editing _ _ _
Now that I have written and added the above editing, the ''landing gear'' words are not a link anymore. The word ''fabric'' in your posting is still a link to F&M website.

Zor

Third editing _ _ _
The words ''landing gear'' have become a link again to ''High Torque landing gear site''.

I do not know what is going on. I am not creating these links.

Zor

Zor... I believe those words that come up as a hyper-text link are "key words" that are commonly used, and searched frequently.. quite possibly linked to the RCUniverse search engine. Sometimes even brand names, common components(such as landing gear), things like that will come up as links within a post. I've had it happen, and have seen it occur here for years. Its nothing you did to create it I'm sure. Click on one, and see what info it has linked to it.. it might prove interesting. .

Edit... I stand corrected.. I clicked on it.. the link is not what I thought it was.. nor is it what I remember it was. Its a key-word link alright.. but for RCUniverse "keyword program" apparently has to do with ad promotion, and obtaining links to other, possibly business related sites that vendors might use/need. Sorry for my interuption. Back to these beautiful Biplanes please ...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Zor
Banned

Original dgrant
Zor... I believe those words that come up as a hyper-text link are ''key words'' that are commonly used, and searched frequently.. quite possibly linked to the RCUniverse search engine. Sometimes even brand names, common components(such as landing gear), things like that will come up as links within a post. I've had it happen, and have seen it occur here for years. Its nothing you did to create it I'm sure. Click on one, and see what info it has linked to it.. it might prove interesting. .

Edit... I stand corrected.. I clicked on it.. the link is not what I thought it was.. nor is it what I remember it was. Its a key-word link alright.. but for RCUniverse ''keyword program'' apparently has to do with ad promotion, and obtaining links to other, possibly business related sites that vendors might use/need. Sorry for my interuption. Back to these beautiful Biplanes please ...
Hello dgrant,

I know we are a bit out of topic but sometime it is necessary to help all who, like me, get confused with these unexpected oddities.

It was the first time I noticed this occurrence. When some word(s) become a link they are in my case underlined even in the middle of a sentence.

I can very well understand that the management of RC Unverse can say to a potential advertiser " Hey . . . pay us for some advertising and everytime "fabric" or "landing gear" or any other selected word is written by a participant poster, a link to your site will be generated".

It is a good idea to promote advertising revenu.
For anyone concerned with how their computer and software function, running into this situation for the first time is a real puzzle and disturbing.

I have to thank you profusely for your explanation which will no doubt help others as well when reading these postings.

Agreed that we should now return to topic. I do think however that these postings were well worth posting.

The following sentence is a test _ _ _
I wanted to paint my Skybolt landing gear and asked advice how to proceed to paint the aluminum landing gear so it does not peel. I had no response. I am considering wrapping it in light fabric and doping the fabric that may act like steel rods in reinforced concrete L O L .

Thanks a lot dgrant . . .
and a super day to all readers from Zor.

Editing . . .
The word "fabric" has become a link but not "landing gear" this time.
May be next time

Second editing . . .
The word "paint" is also a link now to the same site as "fabric".

Enough of that.

Zor

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Jaybird

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jaybird

I've decided to use 21 Century iron on fabric with black, white and Cub yellow as the basic colors. I had a partial roll of the white and bought the yellow today. The black is on order and should be in next week. I'm thinking an inverted version of the Pitts Python color scheme with the black on top and the yellow on bottom and a white stripe in the middle. The top of the wings will have a wide black leading edge followed by a white stripe and then finish in yellow. I may do the horizontal and vertical stabs in yellow to make the transitions easier..I'll see how it goes.

Well...I'm having second thoughts now on the 21 Century fabric. It's a great product, but my covering skills don't quite match with it's needs. I experimented on a mock up fin and fuselage joint with inside and outside corners. The material is very flexible, almost rubbery, and will go around just about anything. Heat control is very important and I had a hard time getting the right temp so that it would stick but not pull. It was very hard for me to keep a straight edge as it tended to pull with too much heat or for too long...not good if I want long straight lines running the length the fuselage and wings. The other issue for me is the thickness of the material and the bulge created when one piece overlaps another...again with multi colors it will really show...especially if it's all wavy. If I were doing solid colors over a whole surface it would be great. My Concept Fleet M2 is covered that way with all yellow wings and tail and blue fuselage.

So, I'm going to use regular film instead for this one.

Jaybird
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jaybird
>
>
>
So, I'm going to use regular film instead for this one.

Jaybird

Hi Jayb_ _ _

So which "regular" film R U planning to use ?

Zor
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Jaybird

Top Flite monokote...it's what I have several rolls of already on hand. The color scheme will be black/silver/red instead of yellow as I have two rolls of red. Underside of the bottom wing and tail will be white.

Jaybird
Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Zor
Banned

Not pushing you jaybird but am anxious to see the finished model.

That color combination in a nice scheme will be gorgeous.
Like you I have used some stuff I already had.

I worked on the Mambo stab-elev as a test case before finishing the Skybolt.
It turned out "OK by me"

Zor

Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Cougar429

It's been a while since my last post so thought I'd add a progress report.

Cut the firewall and fabbed up a new setback. Measuring took most of the time. Now epoxied in with the blind nuts installed and motor required some trimming of cowling standoffs. As it is the motor is held to the mount with servo screws till I confirm the fit to the cowl, but it already showed I needed to rethink the throttle linkage due to fit and interference with the fuel tank.

Dug into the bins and cobbled together some plane and heli linkage bits to bring the cable to the port side. This required I move the throttle servo over, which now meant the elevator and rudder servos also needed to shift............sigh.

While at it I addressed another bit I didn't like. The plane had a wood and steel rod elevator pushrod and I was worried that any amount of stress would have it bend, losing elevator effectiveness when I needed it most, (pulling out of a high speed maneuver). I replaced the rods with nyrod, which now meant I had to fab bracing for each end and center. End result is a very tight, reliable and smooth linkage system.

Now I have to route the throttle cable and find how to get the remote glow adapter through the firewall. Then it's a matter of fabbing up a new tank tray and look at what needs to shift to get the CofG correct.

p.s. That last pic is to show why the Skybolt progress has been shifted to the back burner for a bit. I also just read an article in Sport Aviation about the "Firebolt" the bigger, more powerful version of the Skybolt. If mine pulls like I hope may just change the name.

Name:	Rp44121.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1426155   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45566.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1426156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80661.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1426157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87134.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1426158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al73129.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1426159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30774.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1426160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw42996.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1426161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec99800.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1426162  

Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 PM
EJWash1

Cut the firewall and fabbed up a new setback.
Thanks for posting the pics. Your solution got the gears in my head going.

EJWash
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Jaybird

I still haven't started the wings, but I did get the elevator halves and rudder covered last night. The bottoms of the elevators are white and the tops are red and the rudder is all red...kind of boring at this point, but it was nice to at least get it started. The horizontal and vertical stabs are next and they will have the same color pattern on them plus some silver and black accents. The Monokote goes on very nicely with the regular iron with a "sock" and hugs the curved edges pretty well with the trim iron in "hi". Not really worth pictures at this point.

I have my second tailwheel lesson this Saturday in the Citabria, but with a different instructor...I'll see if I can scare him too!

Jaybird

Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Guys,

Probably not the place to post this, but I do own the kit too. I picked up a scratch and dent Skybolt at Tower and it just arrived today. Well, unfortunately one of the things missing (description was missing hardware bag) was the aluminum joiner.

Just wondering if anyone has an unbuilt arf and can take a scan or photocopy of the aluminum joiner so I can fabricate my own.

That or if anyone has a busted up arf....

I will build the kit one day, Im a builder not an arfer, but I always loved the look of the skybolt in the original color scheme and for the price it was hard to pass up.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Zor
Banned

Hello Dave,

You will love the Skybolt.
If you browsed this thread you have seen pictures of the Great Plane kit I built.

There is no aluminum joiner in that kit. I wish I could help with the data.
There is always a way.

You are nearly in my backyard. It would be nice to meet.

Many have assembled the ARF . . . no doubt someone will pop up with data or perhaps even the missing tube.

Nice to see you in here.

Zor

Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Jaybird

Well, after a great second full scale tailwheel lesson and little afternoon model flying on the way home, I finally have some trim colors on the tail. The same pattern will be repeated on the sides of the vertical fin and in larger format on the top wing. The bottom surfaces are all white and I made add some contrast stripes later on.

I picked up the Cermark Pitts S2 on Friday and have to get my radio gear installed so I can test fly, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Tomorrow morning looks terrific, but I have church and a meeting to help plan a large multi-club model expo in August...and then the rain comes back.

Jaybird

Name:	Wu60246.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1429306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72203.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1429307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28777.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1429308  
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
DavidMC
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Zor, which field do you fly at? Im new to the GTA area - haven't joined a new club yet - send me a pm or email so we don't drag this thread off topic too much.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Cougar429

Thought I would post the latest info. Finished the servo moves, control runs, new tank tray and bolted in the Saito 91 for good. Only remaining items are having to tie down the aft ends of the control rod tubes and figure out how to hold the battery in the new location, (moved aft for CofG). Right now it's held up against the receiver retaining plate with double sided velcro straps, but want something more permanent that avoids the risk of it dropping into the aileron linkage.

Fired up the Saito for the first time this evening and was absolutely amazed at the performance. Had pulled the choke slider as everything I read says they don't need it. I can confirm that as the thing fired up within 2 blades and idles like a champ. I had installed and set the high speed needle to spec and never had to touch it again. My hybrid plane/heli throttle linkage also worked perfectly.

Anyway, you should have seen the grass blow flat at even half throttle!. I had the plane tied down and got a little nervous about pulling the tail feathers off with anything above that, but went and got the digital fish scale to check the thrust. Hoo Boy! The plane weighs in now at 7 1/2 lbs with 10 lbs static thrust available. This should be interesting, to say the least[sm=wink_smile.gif] .

Ony negative note was the first run had the prop fly off when I leaned the low speed 1/4 turn and advanced the throttle, (yes, I remain behind the planes when doing first test runs). Found out it came with just a metric nut and flange, where the parts sheet shows the anti rotation nuts as standard. Looked for an hour and a half, but both bits are lost for good in the grass. My friend brought me his alum hub from his Saito and we fired it up again. Never had the backfire again. Ordered the proper nuts and flange online and they should be here this week, but also looking for another alum hub to finish the look of the plane once the new cowl is installed.

With work schedule probably will not get the chance to maiden it till next weekend. Wish me luck. Will take more pics of the mods and hopefully have a vid of it airborne soon.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
The_Tinker

Hey guys, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I recently got a kit built Great Planes Skybolt that is mostly built but is solid white. I still need to do the cowling, wheel pants, and finish the covering. I am wanting to do a scale scheme but am having trouble finding enough pictures of the planes that would work with a white base color and that I like (that kinda limits the selection! lol) The plane that is my first choice is in the following link. If anyone can give me more info I would be tickled! Thanks Guys, Micah

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Steen...e6b2459ee722ea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.