Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned to fly taildraggers on a 7ECA back in '77. The school added a 7KCAB, and I couldn't bring myself to get back in a Cessna for the next few years.

Yeah, I'll probably miss-out on owning a full-size airplane. Raised a family instead. I do have a set of full-size Skybolt plans though. And, I have an eye for a couple of Van's RVs (RV8, RV-14). Who knows, maybe the opportunity to build may work-out someday. In the meantime, I'm enjoying R/C.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Once I took the "work" out of flying I enjoyed it a lot more. I earned my private back in the early to mid 70's and continued on through commercial and multi but, quit about half way through the instrument. I wasn't enjoying it and the dream of becoming a flight instructor and more started to fade away. I still flew but, I did it for fun. As long as it was affordable I continued but, after I sold my little taildragger I found that the market had priced me out.

Update on the Skybolt:
Everything but, the cowl and wheel pants is complete. Lower and upper wings were mounted and push rods for the upper ailerons made and connected. Control throws are set; canopy and pilot are installed; the engine was started and adjusted this afternoon. Once the cowl is cut and installed it's ready for first flight. I have mounted a 13x8 prop but, will fly with a 13.5x9 once they arrive in the mail.
The nice looking aluminum spinner provided with the ARF won't work on my plane. The adapter nut (threaded on the outside end for the spinner bolt) will not thread on to the shat of the Saito ...it's too short. So, I'll replace that with a plastic Dubro spinner.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 AM
stevegauth30

I still dream of someday owning my own AC. I have my single engine land cert. but to date only have about 80 something hours logged. I rent from my local FBO enough to remain current, but probably not for much longer. I'm still young compared to a lot of you guys, and still have young kin. Just not economically fees able any more. My plan was to build my own home built kit, I realized that wasn't going to happen too soon, which is how I got into RC. It's a little more affordable.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM
rowdyjoe

Steve,
I went through that same "dream" process and when I finally bought my own plane it was sort of anti-climactic. On the positive side, I didn't have to wait in-line/reserve an aircraft to go flying. If I wanted to fly, I just went. It was a LOT of fun puddle jumping and not worrying about time on the hobbs. On the negative side ...I was responsible for ALL maintenance, inspections, parts, etc. and when the airplane was down for that I couldn't fly unless I wanted to rent one. I did a lot of the "labor" under the supervision of the mechanic which saved me money and saved him time but, I held a full time job and could only work on it in the evenings and weekends ....which created more down time. So, in the end, I decided renting was the better way to go and let the FBO worry about all of the negative stuff ....and I usually always had something to fly. It cost a bit more on average but, I wasn't laying on the ground under an airplane in 100 + deg. heat removing inspection panels.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM
stevegauth30

The grass is always greener. The wife and I , and two kids try to rent a plane once a year from a gentleman who flies out of my local FBO. Well get it for a weekend and just open the charts and pick a destination. He charges me less than the FBO would as we agree on a fixed price and don't have to watch the hobbs like you said. Always have a wonderfull time and that one outing alone is worth staying current.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:44 PM
rowdyjoe

Creating memories like that is awesome.
I guess if my wife had been more into traveling by light plane I would have stayed current and active. As you know, it's much more enjoyable when you have someone to enjoy it with. Glad your family enjoys it too.
Wishing you CAVU for all flights.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:48 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks Joe. The only thing she don't like, and she falls for it EVERY year, is when I start saying I don't feel too good, then I feel weak, Oh crap, we better get down NOW! then I slump over, put it into a light dive, and try not to laugh. She goes nuts. Even the kids only fell for it once. Her, every time. I love it.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:33 PM
rowdyjoe

My GP Super Skybolt is complete and ready for the first flight. Whoever said all biplanes are tail heavy knew what they were talking about. I've had to add weight to balance every one I've had and this on is no exception. I added 3 oz. of lead on the motor mount to get it balanced at the factory CG. I don't like adding dead weight but, there's no room to move anything around to shift weight forward.
Now waiting on decent weather to get it in the air. I'll try to remember to snap some pics before I fly it and video if I can find someone at the field to shoot it while I fly.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. Would love to see pics and vids once the maiden is done.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 PM
rowdyjoe

I'd better take pictures BEFORE I fly it and video during the flight .....just in case.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three oz is pretty minimal. I recently refurbished a trainer given to the club and took off an ASP 61 and installed a Saito .56 and had to build a box under the engine for 15oz of lead shot. That is some serious weight addition but the plane is a floater with generous wing and handles it ok, except it requires a lot of up in the turns. It has a lot of tail moment and I was tempted to saw it off behind the wing bay and cut out 3-4 inches.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:48 AM
stevegauth30

My bolt is kit built, but I doubt it's much different from the ARF. I had a bunch of weight up front to bring it to the recommended balance point. It flew great. But, I decided to play around with the balance as it was landing a bit hot. I ended up removing most of the lead and what a difference it made. It flies much better. The way I feel an aerobatic bipe should. Not saying you don't need it, but maybe after a few flights you may want to try removing lead little by little. You probably don't need it.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:08 PM
PT19

Glad to find this thread. Picked up a half finished one in Perry.After reading some of this I am going to work on soon. Just need a finish to go with a white fuselage.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:03 PM
rowdyjoe

Arlyn and Steve,
I guess 3 oz is not that much in the scheme of things, especially when I think about the H9 Camel that came with a 1 lb solid lead bar and a box to mount it in. Even after installing a 15cc gas engine it needed about half a pound ...and that was after i devised a method to hang it from the engine mount beneath the engine rather than the factory location high on the firewall. The new location seriously reduced the the incidents of nose-overs also. In contrast, I think my H9 Fokker DVII hardly needed any weight added (comparatively speaking) and it has a relatively light Satio FA80 on it.
The Skybolt is balanced at neutral ....not nose heavy or tail heavy and I'm looking for good results on the first flight. I prefer a slightly nose heavy condition for the first flight or two however, I think it will be stable enough for a first flight where I'll be able to determine if it needs more or less weight. The CG location given in the assembly manual is measured from the center of the top wing. Since the top wing is swept back and the area between the wing and fuselage is a relatively narrow place to work, it wasn't the easiest balance job I've done.
The only thing I dislike about his ARF is the fact that the bottom wing must be removed to gain access to the receiver and battery. I'm trying to come up with away to remove, charge, and replace the battery without removing the bottom wing. Technically, I should remove both wings but, it's not the easiest or quickest thing to do. I think I can get away with unscrewing just the bottom end of both outer struts and leave them attached to the upper wing and leave the upper attached to the cabanes. If I'm careful, I think I can do it but, I'd rather have a hatch or removable canopy or some other way to access the battery area. I may be able to create a hatch under the fuselage forward of the bottom wing but, I need to take a closer look at the structure in that area. There may be room for a small LIPO or LIFE in that area under the fuel tank.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:04 PM
rowdyjoe

PT19,
Keep us posted on your progress. Pictures and videos are appreciated.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:31 AM
stevegauth30

absolutely. Id also love to see what you come up with. I, personally take both wings off for transport, so I can fit more planes when I go flying, so its a non issue for me, but none the less I always like to see what others come up with. Im charging up some planes as we speak being today is going to be the first nice flying day of the season. There have been a few descent days so far, but none like this with temps touching 70 and winds light and variable. Woo hoo! And you KNOW the Bolt's coming with me. As for the balance, Of course I recommend you balance it where the manufacturer says to for the first flights, but id be willing to bet that later on, you can probably remove some if not most of the weight like I did. Its all a matter of preference any how. Its how you like the plane to fly. Good luck with the maiden and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:08 PM
rowdyjoe

I have room to transport it without disassembly so, I'll probably install the battery before I leave the house. It's difficult to work with a saddle mounted wing in the winds we generally have. I'd hate for it to blow off the stand while I'm trying to work with it and I've damaged a a couple of planes that way. All the folks in our club know better than to leave a plane unattended when on the assembly stand. The winds here can be fickle. It can be almost dead calm and as soon as you get over confident and turn your back, a gust will come out of no where and ruin your whole day.
I took a quick peak under the nose section of the fuselage and a hatch may be harder than I first thought. Still thinking.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 PM
rowdyjoe

Well, the Skybolt is dead. I killed it today on the 4th flight. I pulled when I should have pushed and it went straight in from less than 50ft at full power. The airframe is totaled but, not sure about the engine. It was quite muddy at the field and the soft ground may have saved major damage.
First flight went great and, after a minor aileron and elevator throw adjustment, It was flying great ....balance was good, very little trim needed in pitch, and it tracked great. I was beginning to like it a lot.

I think this hobby is no longer for me. I've destroyed 4 planes in 5 months and I finally got the hint. I'm not sure if I want to sell everything I have left or just fly them until they crash too.
It's been nice meeting and chatting with you guys but, I no longer have a bird of mutual interest so, I doubt I'll be back to this thread. Good luck and wish you all CAVU.

RJ

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 04-18-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:37 AM
stevegauth30

Joe, this really saddens me. I really hate to hear it. Ive felt that way a couple of times. We all go through it.I wont sit here and and try to tell you what to do or not to do. You know. I just really hate to hear it.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 AM
Cougar429

That is a bummer. Still, it saddens more to hear you want to leave the hobby completely.

I do however understand wanting to give up.I agree with Steve in that we all experience it. You're not alone.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:10 AM
Cougar429

That is a bummer. Still, it saddens more to hear you want to leave the hobby completely.

I do however understand wanting to give up.I agree with Steve in that we all experience it. You're not alone.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:43 AM
stevegauth30

Last year i wrecked every plane in my fleet, at least once. And one was a scratch built on her maiden. I threw in the towel, but picked it back up and started re building. Its the part of the hobby that really sucks. But we all understand it all too well. I wish you the best in whatever direction you go.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:05 AM
AA5BY

Gary... very sorry to read about the loss of your planes and with them your concerns about staying with the hobby. Along with RC, I've been involved with sailing and Ham radio and currently am dismantling the Ham station to sell off and perhaps will be selling the boat as those interest seem to have run their course. Both have provided countless enjoyable memories and enriched my life and the decision to let them go wasn't easy.

Whatever you decide, you've made memories to treasure and friends to continue to enjoy.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 AM
AA5BY

double post
Old 04-19-2015, 04:14 PM
WRAM
My Feedback: (8)

Hello All,
I have a plan enlarging service unfer the name of AeroArt Studios. I had a ad in High Flight for many years. and have amassed a collection of many plans. I have planned to enlarge the Skybolt both in the 100 and 150 cc range 90" - 104". Let me know your interest
Feel free to write or call
[email protected]
Home - 914 - 963 - 2847 - leave message
Regards<
Danny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.