Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Well I'm back from a nice trip to Florida. The highlight of the week was a visit to Fantasy of Flight in Polk City for a Stearman flight. The Waldo Wright flying company operates a couple of PT-17's there as well as two New Standard D-25 ride planes. The Stearman flight has you in the front cockpit and on the controls once the plane is in the air and you fly it through steep turns, lazy 8's and stalls or just bore holes in the sky for half an hour. this was my third flight and Rob Lock the owner talked me through some 45 and 60 degree steep turns, lazy 8's and power-on and power off stalls.

Here is a link to a short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHJ1...eature=channel

Rob took more from the rear cockpit but got mixed up on the camera controls and ended up taking lots of video of the cockpit floor! Oh well, I'll just have to go back and try again! Oh and Rob really is that tall. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and he's...well, you can see how tall he is!

Now I can start building!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48661.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1369482  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
biplanemurphy

Sounds like great fun Jaybird!!!!!

Wow, that guy is a giant!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Zor, you might want to reconsider that. Adding weights to the ABS cowl could cause the cowl to crack due to excessive vibrations. It might not happen right away, but it will happen eventually.
Minnflyer,

You may be absolutely correct. I think these cowls are made of ABS and quite flimsy.
I considered putting weights fastened to the engine mount and I may spend more time to accomplish that with some design of an aluminum mounting structure.

One of the problems was to be able to put the cowl on and remove it without interference.
I just tried to put the weights as far forward as possible. I do not know where others have installed their weights but have seen many mentioning that the kit ends up tail heavy.

Considering distances (moment arms) I think I would need another 4 ounces to mount them on the firewall and have to install more blind nuts to bolt them on. I do have access to the rear face of he firewall due to mods I made.

I sure appreciate your comment and thank you for it.
That potential cracking of the cowl is something I certainly will be watching for.
Upon running I have very little vibration. The prop is very well balanced by myself.
I laugh at manufacturers that say their props are balanced at the factory and arrive full of moulding burrs in their sealed packaging.

Best regards Minn,

Zor
Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
mshaggyc72

You say the 7th rib is way out at the wing struts??? I thought it was further inboard than that.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct, the 7th rib is where the struts are
Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: mshaggyc72

You say the 7th rib is way out at the wing struts??? I thought it was further inboard than that.
The 7th rib is where the wing struts are inserted between the wings.
Your statement makes me suspect that you have an ARF and perhaps you do not have any construction drawings.

The dimensions I gave are from building the kit.

Zor
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
mshaggyc72

Thanks alot for the CG info guys. BIPLANEMURPHY, this is my second super skybolt and the flat spins it would do were wild and would really flaten out upright or inverted, you should try it. ZOR, I have the kit version buy when I purched it I did not recieve any of the blue print / drawings, Some days I wish I had them, I noticed people putting a lower hatch in the front of the fuselage to install smoke or batterys. I would like to put my battery there so I can unload some of my lead from the nose of the plane, And I really need to remove my fuel tank and put a new / clean tank in. Whats the best way to remove the fuel tank?? It's funny my first super had a OS FX 91 which was in my opinion a perfect match, but my second one came with a Super Tiger 90 and was a compleate dog[:'(] Im really hoping the Enya 1.20 will really wake it up. By the way does anyone make a after market landing gear? Mine seems very soft and spongy. I really would like to find a carbon fiber landing gear. If not I guess I'll have to make a mold and lay-up my own out of carbonfiber or fiberglass or a hybrid of both, I wonder if the ARF version has the same soft landing gear and if so, Do you think there is a market for them, Or if it's worth making more that one. Let me know if anyone is interested. Does any one out there have plans for a larger scale super skybolt. I would love to have one in the range of 30cc to 50cc scale. I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to do it.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Zor
Banned

I made a hatch in front of the landng gear forward former out of where I can remove the fuel tank and the battery without touching the wings.

Landing gear wise I wold like an extra 3/4" or 1" higher as the plane is sitting on the ground. At this moment I have a 3 blade 13 x 7 prop and the ground clearance is 2 3/4" with the tail on the ground. With the fuse hoizontal the clearance is 2". That is without any springing upward of the landing gear.

I have a 3 blade 14 x 7 prop and a 2 blade 15 x 8 prop and I think that could be a clearacnce problem.

I would appreciate to know what some of you guys are using and what your clearances are.

I can easily make two plates of dural (aluminum alloy) that would raise the landing gear and it would look OK.

A 85.5" wingspan Skybolt would be very nice I think.
I could scale the drawings up and it would result just under 25 lbs with some nursing on weight saving. Exmple: the tail feathers could be built with ribs and fabric covered like the full size Skybolt. The fuselage doublers could be lighter in proportion. The trailing edges and ailerons could be built up instead of solid. Details like the flying wires would only be longer and teh ferrurles the same size.

That would become a 30% scale instead of 20%.

You could still make a hatch if you wanted to.

I would be curious how much weight you added and exactly where you installed those weights. A picture possible ???

Zor
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Jaybird

There was an official snow-fly scheduled for today but it was just too darn cold and windy by the time I was ready to go. So, with the planes back in the cellar I cleared the workbench and started sorting the Skybolt parts. After a few false starts trying to gather all the needed tools and getting the plans unrolled so they would lay flat (big sheets!), I started the fin and rudder build around 1:30 p.m. I worked on them until about 6:00 p.m. and they are almost finished. I just have to add the hard balsa sections to the bottom of the rudder and finish sanding. My feet are tired and my back hurts, but it was great fun and so far it looks good...for the first two pages of the instruction book!

This is going to take a long time...

Jaybird

Name:	Cz79930.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1373254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22702.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1373255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71240.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1373256  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Jaybird

Aaahhh! How do I get rid of these giant pictures? I don't know why they attached this way and I can't delete them.

Help!

Jaybird
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Zor
Banned

Jaybird,

Can I make suggestions to you as you go along ?
Of course any sugestions I would make are for your evaluation.

I would also explain the reasons for suggesting anything.
Be aware that at this moment I do not know your building experience.

Let us also be aware that building logs (so called) are usually quite popular.
Perhaps many will join in and some of these may not have much experience so any explanatons would take them into consideration.

Zor

Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Zor
Banned

Jaybird,

I can give you step by step how to remove pictures so you could insert pics of good size.

But first, Do you have a software that can resize pictures?
Here my operaing system is Windows XP pro and I have Microsoft photo editor.
With the photo editor I can resize any pictures.

I bring them so that the properties of the pic file show just under 800 pixels wide and whatever the height is to keep the proportions of the pic.

Let me know and then I will guide you to remove the big pics or any pics [X(].

Zor
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Jaybird

Hi Zor,

Yes, any building suggestions are worth considering. I've actually incorporated one about the fin sheeting to allow easier filler section mounting once the tail is installed. I've built a BUSA Eindecker several years ago and I've beenbuilding and repairing balsa for many years, I just haven't built a kit in a long time. My father and brother were builders long before I came along and they have shared their knowledge with me too.

I've used the same type of picture size and the forum upload many times, but for some reason it put the pictures directly into the reply and not as attachments as usual. I didn't do anything different that I know of.

I went back down last night and completed the fin and rudder around 10:00 p.m. Here is the finished fin and rudder. fully sheeted, sanded and hinged.

Jaybird
Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I fixed the pictures. You did not do anything wrong, we just have a funky server (one of four) on RCU. *IF* it's acting up, and *IF* you're logged on to that particuler server, the pictures upload at full size. I just deleted them, renamed them and re-uploaded them.

As for your comment, "This is going to take a long time"... Yes, it is. Kit building is not like slapping an ARF together. Try to get yourself into the mindset of: I'm working on a long-term project. Depending on how much time you can put into it, the build will take anywhere from 2 months to a year (or longer if you're really lazy )

But two months is a pretty good estimate
Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 AM
parrthd

mine took around 11 months or so....however, i did MUCH reading and chatting on RCU during the building of my 'bolt. best plane of my fleet (if i ever get around to flying agagin....LOL)
Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Jaybird

Thanks Minnflyer for the image help. That ealier post a lot better now.

The "long time" statement was based on my own history of taking a long time to put an ARF together, usually because I change elements I don't like about it. Even with the BUSA Eindecker I made a lot of modifications from the plan and instructions to the tail to try and lighten it up and to make pull-pull rudder and elevator controls. Lots of fun figuring things out, but time consuming. I have several other hobbies too that all demand time and money, but I really like building and I see a lot of late nights in the cellar for me.

Last night I completed the sheeting and hinged the rudder to the fin and sanded the contours. Looks pretty good...I'll try another photo post.

There is a lot of great ideas in this thread and related build threads so I'm confident I can get help when needed.

A reccuring problem seems to be getting the flat sided fuselage to match up with the rounded forward formers and firewall. I was thinking that perhaps I'd partially glue the rear doublers on a flatr surface and then try wrapping the front formers around a styrofoam block to get a curve in it before glueing. Any thoughts?

Jaybird

Name:	Pn37848.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1373735  
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Zor
Banned

Jaybird,

Glad to read that you are an experienced builder.

You will build a strong structure with the "state of the art" glue and gluing technique.

You will use a covering / finishing that will not tear easily in the event of an improper return to ground.

You will use a controlling system that is up to par with such a model.

I will stand aside and follow with great interest.

If you are interested in the modifications I made on my Skybolt, let me know and I will describe them.

Have a great time building and take your time. This is a hobby to occupy leisure time.

Zor

Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Jaybird

Thanks Zor. We have been in contact before on this and I have your e-mail information.

As most will agree, building is fun and a great challenge, but I like spending my time flying too. For me , the slow pace that I work at makes the dreaded ARF's a way to spend less time in the basement and more time in the air. I've been fortunate to work at the local hobby shop and have increased my collection over the last year to 14 different aircraft in airworthy condition. Some are small electrics and some mid size glow power with the largest being a BUSA 1/4 scale Cub from an estate sale. I really like biplanes (I currently fly four and this will be my fifth) and especially WWI era.

Anyway, I'll reread the posts and other build threads as I go along and give updates when appropriate.

Stay warm!

Jaybird.

Name:	Ig11669.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1374091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35847.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	1374092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44547.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1374093  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Jaybird

I did a little more work last evening before running out of 3/16 x 3/4 stock for the second elevator half. I dug around in all the boxes of scrap balsa in the cellar and couldn't find one piece long enough. Luckily the hobby shop is five minutes from work!

I'm thinking of jumping over to the wing construction rather than plowing into the fuselage after I finish building and sheeting the stab and elevators. Any reasons not to do that at this point? I know Zor and others have suggested some modifications later on in the build and I'm wondering if any affect the wings that might be helpful to know ahead of time.

Jaybird

Name:	Zx71472.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1375732  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:43 AM
mshaggyc72

Hey does any one have a set of GP super skybolt plans they are willing to sell?, Or if some one has a place they can get the plans copied if so let me know for how much. I love the skybolt I have now so much that I'm looking at scaling one up just a bit for this g-38 gasser I have laying around. Any one have any guess on the wing span that I would be shooting for?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
mshaggyc72

ZOR how about some dimentions on that fwd belly hatch and maybe if you could post some photos of that area. As far as landing you right about needing some more ground clearance.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Zor
Banned

mshaggyc72,

Just read your post.
Have to go out right now.
I will see what pics I have and will post later today.
Keep checking this thread.

Zor
Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Zor

mshaggyc72,

Just read your post.
Have to go out right now.
I will see what pics I have and will post later today.
Keep checking this thread.

Zor
Following through on above.
Dimensions are to fit in place.

Now let's see if I remember how to post pictures L O L .

Will anyone tell me where they installed their weight in the fuselage front? Pictures?

Name:	Xu62496.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1376139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79270.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1376140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74577.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1376141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47698.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1376142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42801.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1376143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90747.jpg
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	1376144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vy48022.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1376145  
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 AM
mshaggyc72

ZOR i bolted ( screwed) and the cross tie some safty wired my lead strips to my lower motor mount leg ( Installed a enya 120 4c side ways with the head pionting out the right side of the fuse). it just cleared the cowl.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jaybird
>
>
I'm thinking of jumping over to the wing construction rather than plowing into the fuselage after I finish building and sheeting the stab and elevators. Any reasons not to do that at this point? I know Zor and others have suggested some modifications later on in the build and I'm wondering if any affect the wings that might be helpful to know ahead of time.

Jaybird

Jaybird,

I did not follow the manual sequence for what I considered good reasons.

I thought the inbetween I struts would be useful when gluing the ribs 7 (3 layers) together.
So I made those before doing the wings.

I see no objections to make the wings before the fuselage. It would be useful to have the wings when assembling the cabane. The cabane is where I had some problems because the wires were not bent properly. I have seen that others also had the same problem as I had.
It end up that the 3 layer wood at the bottom of the cabane does not lay flat on the cockpit floor as expected from the drawings. If we try to lay it flat on the cockpit floor than the upper wing incidence is wrong unless the minus 1 degree itself is wrong.

I made it to get the minus 1 deg incidence. Tapered wedges have to be installed between the lower cabane assembly and the cockpit floor. Others did the same thing as solution to the problem.

The two little brass tubings at the center of the top wing should be chamfered (rounded at the end) inside where the cabane wires go in before cementing them in place. It is impossible to do properly after they are in place. Along the same thought the ends of the cabane wire should be tapered a bit. It is very difficult to install the wing without this tapering being done.

Pay attention to the details of this structure at the center of the top wing. You want the cabane wires and the small brass tubing to line up perfectly when pushing the wing down before pushing the wing backward.

Of course you would want the wings flat without twist or warp. Also it is easy to glue the trailing edges such that they do not follow the airfoil shape. Avoid this. The preshaped traling edge pieces do not necessarily have the proper angle. Check and double check before gluing them in place.

I suppose I did not have to write all the above but it was written in good spirit (intending to be helpful).

As a last comment _ _ _ It is a good idea to have the wings and the I struts (between the wings) available to check all the assembly before gluing the base of the cabane in the fuselage.

There are pictures of the cabane problem posted by others in the forum and I have pictures as well (somewhere L O L ).

A little challenge is always interesting.

Zor

P.S.: added by editing.
Some mods I made _ _ _ _
- Hatch under front fuselage to access fuel tank and battery witout removing the wings.
- Bolted on tail feathers. Completely removable.
- Opening cockpit canopy like some full size so the pilot can go out and back in LOL.
- Installation of a fueling valve with cover to avoid dirt on the o'ring and leakage.
- Functioning flying wires on tail and wings. No need to remove when disassembling the wings or tail.
- Mechanical adjustable exponential throttle control.
- Installed a remote glow plug connector on the fuselage side due to the inverted engine.
- Not yet done . . . will raise the prop clearacne by extending the landing gear. Prop on hand is 14 x 7 three blades on a Saito 125.
-

Perhaps I am forgetting something.

Zor
Edited to correct spelling ... canace became cabane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.