Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

goldberg eagle problems

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

goldberg eagle problems

Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM
will in the 985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goldberg eagle problems

ok, rebuilding my goldberg eagle and the started recovering the tailsection. after i got the tail fin and elevator covered i realized the tailfin is able th move side to side. just wondering what i could do to get this thing stable, would putting some ca into the joint from the inside keep it from moving?

thanx
Old 06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: goldberg eagle problems

you need to find out what is broken there, I would remove any covering and maybe even the fin, was this airplane in a crash? I wouldn’t use ca to glue that part on rather 30 minute epoxey.if you are sure nothing is broken y7ou can add triangle stock to either side of it to strengthen it.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
will in the 985

nothing's broken, just a loose joint. the airplane's never flown. found it half way built acouple years back in our shed, finished it two summers ago without radio gear or engine, lost intrest in it so i let it sit. decided to finish it but didnt like how i covered it so im recovering it and fixing problems. do you have any pictures of using triangle stock? im slightly confused.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

I'd mix up some wet microballoons and fill the gap with that then add some more microballoons to the mix and make it more of a paste then make some fillets with it. That tail will never be loose again (unless you rekit it)
Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 PM
shd3920

You could also epoxy dowel supports coming out of the bottom of the fin going into the fuselage for added support, and not as sightly as the tri-stock support.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
will in the 985

that dowel idea sounds like a winner. john, what are micro balloons? sorry i dont know, i just started getting back into rc again. looking for another plan to build too, what would be a good scale looking and flying kit for a beginning flier?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
will in the 985

oh, i have another question. i have the servos for the rudder and elevator in the cabin area and im using gold-n-rod. i read some not so good things about the gold-n-rod, would it be hard to mount the servo to the exterior of the tail to have better control?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:11 PM
John Hanske

Gold-n-rod has to be supported well every four inches or so. You don't want it to bend under flight pressures. As for triangle stock, peel back the covering where the horizontal stabilizer meets the fin, and glue 3-4 inch long pieces of triangle stock joining the fin and stabilizer. then recover. I don't think you want to add weight to the back of the plane by moving the servos.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
will in the 985

ok cool, im ok then.

thanx
Old 06-28-2007, 01:19 PM
horace315
My Feedback: (15)

use 1/2 inch triangle stock , just cut two pieces that are the length of the stabilizer and trim away the covering where the horz stab and vert stab meet and fit the triangle stock pieces between the two. when you get the fit and length right you can taper the front of the stock to make it look neat, use 30 min epoxy to glue it in place make sure the vertical stab is square, I use a triangle to check this. there are posts on the tiger 60 here with photos that show the triangle stock pices.this will strengthen the vertical stabilizer and take the side to side movement out.