Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes (RV-4)

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes (RV-4)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:23 AM
alexflyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes (RV-4)

Relatively new to the world of RC aviation and am just finishing the RV-4 from great planes. i have a million questions but mainly im wondering how you adjust anything to do with tuning the motor without taking the spinner and prop and cowl off? and could anyone suggest whether or not to use a on-board glo-igniter or would i be better off just using a regular glo-plug igniter?

thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 05:38 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes (RV-4)

Welcome to RCU.
I built one of these planes. I used a Thunder tiger 46 for power. The engine is mounted on its side. I cut a hole in the cowling to put the glo driver through to start the motor. You could fit a remote glo plug but I found the hole to be easier and it is hardly noticable. The HSN pokes through the top of the cowling and a hole must be cut for it. It is easy as pie to adjust. For the LSN you could drill a hole in the cowling for a screwdriver but I did not bother. Once the LSN is set there is no need to adjust it. They are an excellent sport scale plane. One thing though if you build it you have to fit the flaps. It looks awesome with them and a little funny without them.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:15 AM
bipeguy03

I agree With GRANT ED, the extra weight need for and on board glow driver is not worth it, the hole in the side of the cowl is not veary big and the glow plug is'nt veary far inside so changing a plug is easy also. And Just two holes one for the HIGH SPEED Needle (main needle valve) and one for the LOW SPEED Needle.

And I also agree with Grant Ed on the fact it needs the flaps, not only as a matter of looks but as a way it flys, mine is almost impossible to slow down without them and i can never get a smooth landing with them up. I guess the one thing I'd change if I ever build another is to make them with only one servo, to get rid of a little weight, and to free up one of my servos!

Great flying sport plane and pretty aerobatic, should fly veary scale like on a .46, I fly mine on an O.S .40LA but it needs more power. Be pre-pared though it does'nt like to quit flying, I'm sure you'll float right by yourself a few times!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM
alexflyguy

I'm not sure if i understood correctly about the HSN, did you say it should stick through the cowling at the top? I dont know what you meant when you said that? im not sure if that would be possible looking at the plane? please explain more....
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM
bipeguy03

The high speed needle should be long enough to come through the top of the cowling, by drilling a hole directly above the needle's postion and alowing it to pass through. If the needle for some reason is not long enough, you could afix an extention.

What type of engine do you have?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually if you look at your high speed needle MOST of them have a hole drilled in the middle and a set screw. These are provided to allow you to put a piece of music wire or a small allen wrench in the valve so you can extend the reach of the valve outside of the cowling.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:47 PM
bipeguy03

Yes, My o.s .40 is like that, I've noticed tha most engines with the remote needle have this feature. mainly for the acces distance between the needle and the prop, anykind of a 90 degree bend will not hit the spinning prop.

but none of my super tigre engines have this.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then silver solder a brass tube extension on the carb, OR grind a slot for a screw driver and access it through a hole in the cowling.