Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger 60 Deluxe Balance Question

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger 60 Deluxe Balance Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:32 PM
RCurtis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Tiger 60 Deluxe Balance Question

Just finished a Tiger 60 Deluxe...tried to maiden flight it today and almost lost it on takeoff. Here's the scoop:

Had an OS 91 FX 2 stroke already on hand, so that is what I used. No major modifications other than made the wing mount use 2 dowel pegs instead of with one. Plane balanced right in the proper range with no adjustments necessary. (Range according to plans is 3-3/4 to 4-3/4 back from leading edge) I have always tended to build slightly heavy...can't seem to keep from "helping" various areas that look weak. The box specs claim 7-8 pounds flying weight. I don't have very accurate scales available to me right now, but I know it is beween 9 and 10...hopefully on the lower end, but to be determined.

My concern is with the TERRIBLE instructions for the deluxe version. By any chance does the deluxe version (retracts) change any of the major specs such as balance point and flying weight? Can anybody who owns a T60 Deluxe chime in and share your plane's specs?

I had GOOD speed on takeoff roll, held it on the ground a long time for a very "scale" looking takeoff. At 3/4 runway (asphalt) began very slightly adding up elevator. Plane got about 5 feet in the air and the tail suddenly sagged as if it were extremely tail heavy. Wallowing all around left & right. It was all I could do to keep it from nosing over & going in hard. Somehow managed to keep it relatively wings level after chopping the power & let it just settle into rough grass at the runway end.

No major damage...but a very experienced flying friend stated "That plane is tail-heavy! That's the first thing I checked when I got home and it balances right at the 4" mark (back from leading edge).

Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
warbird2
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Goldberg Tiger 60 Deluxe Balance Question

There is an old say: Nose heavy will fly, tail heavy will NOT fly.

I am building a T60 now and I have looked at lenght to the Deluxe version could not find it.

the CG for fixed and retract is the same. Logical because the airframe is the same.
Weight for the deluxe is 7.5 lbs. Your plane is 33 to 43% heavier than recommanded.
You have more engine - 46 to 61. you have a 91. However the foot print of the 91FX is the same as a 61FX.
I would examine carefully how you set up the CG. You still came come forward 1/4" as per instruction. Set it a 3 3/4" or yet a little more. ( nose heavy will fly)
Inspect the top of your wing for any little irregularities that could disturb the airflow. Correct if needed, be wary of the covered section - unique to the Deluxe. balance the plane laterally.
Then look at your engine, are you getting the rpm you should. Look at the engine specs and make sure you have a prop that will come to these numbers.
Grease your axles.
Look at the wings incidence. Should be zero on the T60. You should be airworthy.
Roll the whole runway on take off Lift and keep shallow. Gear up beyond the runway. Gain height and you are in business !!!!!
Good luck and happy landings.
Ray
Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fly my Deluxe Tiger with an OS 65 on it. It weights just about 9 pounds and the reason that it weights so much is the almost pound of weight in the nose to balance it. The plane fly's really well and it has become one of my favorites. You should balance it in the mid range of the CG, with it being slightly nose heavy and then you can adjust it to your liking an ounce at a time. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM
efurche

what did you use for weights, and how did you attach it?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Wolflord

I have a Tiger 60, not the Deluxe version and I had a very succesful maiden today, mine balance good with no weight added to the nose and 3/4 of an oz in the left wing because of a mishap in construction.
I use sticky weights that the local tire shop has for balancing bigger rims. Work great, if you look on the build thread here you can see them in post 321.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_93...13/key_/tm.htm
Old 09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Rvizzo

I bought a Tiger 60, and, I assembled it, and I'm trying to get the CG right. The manual says 3and 3/4 inches to 4 and 3/4. I mounted a 91 thundertiger, 4 stroke engine, and, I tried to balance straight up, having trouble, turned it over and balanced it on a balancer. It turned out 4 and 1/4, balanced, but, IS THIS THE PROPER WAY to balance this thing? Thanks for any help!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure it can be balanced upside down. Just make sure that you are within the range that is recommended. For weights, I visit my local bait and tackle shop. I pick up all sorts of weights for a couple of bucks. Once I know how much I need, I will roll them up with masking tape and foam and put them under the fuel tank. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCurtis,

No ideas but for stupid ones. lol.
Anything loose in there? that can move the CG while nosing up?
How is the decalage angle?
is the coveving cemented to the rib tops ? (so the airfoil does not change in flight).
Engine mounted solidly ?
How are you checking the CG location ?

Zor