Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cowl for the Sig Mid Star?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cowl for the Sig Mid Star?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl for the Sig Mid Star?

Thinking about a kit bash for the Sig Mid Star.... wondering if anyone has any experience with a cowl exchange from another kit that might work? Any experience with this would be appreciated. It sounds like a nice project to attack and is a fine flyer. Just love to bash kits.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cowl for the Sig Mid Star?

I don’t know about cowls:
Cowl is a hole new set of issues to deal with, like every time you remove it you are weakening the screw holes, it makes access to the motor difficult, you cant see if the motor mounting screws are loose or not, do you NEED fuel valve to fuel the plane???
I had very bad experience with cowls and I try to avoid cowl planes as possible.

Alex (flying a MidStar)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
MasterAlex

Navy -

Did you consider creating a cowl out of foam or balsa? There are a few great threads around that discuss this. I believe I saw this in one of the SSE build threads either here or in the beginner's forum. Also, Caffeenman has a great site for all things RC that discussed how to create a foam/fiberglass cowl ([link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/construction/make_a_fiberglass_cowl/index.htm]Fiberglass Cowl[/link]).

Good luck! Please post some pics when you get around to it.

-MA
Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
ptmac3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Navy18

Thinking about a kit bash for the Sig Mid Star.... wondering if anyone has any experience with a cowl exchange from another kit that might work? Any experience with this would be appreciated. It sounds like a nice project to attack and is a fine flyer. Just love to bash kits.

Thanks.
I made one from a Sig Smith Mini I cut and worked to make it fit. If I was going to do it again I would make it out of wood. Study some plans of planes designed by Brad Shepherd and I believe you will find a nice idea. Super Akro Chips in Flying Models, May `99, is one. He mounts the engine sideways and makes it fully accessible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14699.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	730377  
Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

THanks for the ideas... I will look up the wood fabricated cowl posts. I would like some more pics of your midstars if you have them.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Navy18

what stage are you at with the MidStar 40?

If you make a cowl, make sure you have access to the motor mount nuts to close them. [X(]
I put OS 46 AX on my midstar and its nose heavy, so I need to change things in the plane in order it to fly well, its landing on the nose gear and damaging it-> need access to fix it.

Cowl is more weight at the nose that need to be compensated.
There are better threads then mine, but its there
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#5860719

the plane is designed to be a tail dragger, and I left it as an option for near future, I think its really easy and fun to fly it.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62533.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	730587